General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 toyota 22re pickup

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 toyota 22re pickup

I have this truck and it worked fine till yesterday. I was driving and it overheated. Pulled over and noticed that my alt belt came off as well as my power steering belt. I put them back on and in the process I grounded my dead switch I put in. Small spark not big. When I went to leave I had no power in the cab no radio dash lights nada. But my horn headlights emergency flashers Allport. No blinkers or tail lights.the 80amp fuse was blown and I put a new one in and it blows right away when I hook the battery back up. I've looked for shorts can't find any all the other fuses are good. I had the altanator tested its good. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do or where I can start thanks

Last edited by Cody818; 07-24-2021 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:22 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Cody818
I have this truck and it worked fine till yesterday. I was driving and it overheated. Pulled over and noticed that my alt belt came off as well as my power steering belt. I put them back on and in the process I grounded my dead switch I put in. Small spark not big. When I went to leave I had no power in the cab no radio dash lights nada. But my horn headlights emergency flashers Allport. No blinkers or tail lights.the 80amp fuse was blown and I put a new one in and it blows right away when I hook the battery back up. I've looked for shorts can't find any all the other fuses are good. I had the altanator tested its good. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do or where I can start thanks
Check that the switch you added is not Shorted !! If this is shorted it will open the fuse

When you had the alternator tested did you ask them to look for a short to the case or shorted diodes or just check the output??

check the B terminal of the alternator as well as the 3 wire plug for arc marks or being melted

You may have melted wires that could be a real pain to find one circuit at a time.

If you were close I would be glad to help.

What ever caused the Belts to come off did they stretch that much ??

I hope it did not get Hot enough to cause a Head Gasket failure

Last edited by wyoming9; 07-24-2021 at 08:24 AM. Reason: more information
Old 07-24-2021, 08:28 AM

1990 22re toyota pickup

I un hooked the dead switch and still doing the same thing. I even un hooked the starter and altanator and still burnt the fuse
Old 07-24-2021, 08:49 AM

Do you have a number I can call to talk about the issue at hand
Old 07-25-2021, 04:59 AM

Red face

I un hooked the dead switch and still doing the same thing. I even un hooked the starter and altanator and still burnt the fuse
Always good to know where you are real time help could be close.
Do you have a Multimeter ?

Do you understand how to trouble shoot simple DC circuits.

Have a copy of the EWD for your truck really very hard and frustrating to trouble shoot with out one.

I hear a 24 or 48 hour subscription to all data allows you to down load what you need but things can change it has been some time.

You have a Short be glad the fuse opens it saves you from meeting the local fire company in person.

you need to go one circuit at a time,\.

If electrical trouble shooting was easy everyone could do it.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:53 AM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
If electrical trouble shooting was easy everyone could do it.
I made a career out of it, and there are times it's STILL not easy. Even after doing it since 1977.
Never think electrical trouble shooting is going to be easy, or the problem obvious.
Also, never ever trust any one's word that a system has been "safed". Like the battery disconnected, the key off, whatever. If you do, you WILL get bit. Always check for your self. Before you use a meter on a circuit, make sure there's no power to it, unless you're following a voltage or current problem. If you want to work on an energized circuit, be very careful. Not only can they bite you, but they can destroy a meter, if you check the wrong thing the wrong way.

Good luck to you!
​​​​​​​Pat☺
The following users liked this post:
wyoming9 (07-26-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 05:39 AM

Red face

Do you have a number I can call to talk about the issue at hand
Never heard anything back via PM or email I just wondered how your making out??