General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 22R alternator-regulator wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1984 22R alternator-regulator wiring

Hi,

I've been having charging problems with my 1984 22R. First the alternator/ regulator were bad, got those fixed/replaced, now its overcharging...16, 17 volts at the battery terminals and rising...

I'm wondering if someone on here can look at these photos and tell me if the wiring between my alternator, regulator, battery, and the rest of my truck looks sketchy, what the deal is. Looks like it was rewired at some point. I think that the alternator is from a different year, the regulator doesn't match the one in my chilton manual (but maybe thats chiltons mistake?). Anyways, I don't know if it was done right cause I don't know enough about it.

Heres the photos, annotated for clarity:

Name:  Screenshot2014-10-02at120923PM_zpsaa77a447.png
Views: 29081
Size:  1.25 MB

Name:  Screenshot2014-10-02at121918PM_zps36a7bd5b.png
Views: 31506
Size:  1.13 MB

Name:  Screenshot2014-10-02at121225PM_zps7e54c832.png
Views: 20472
Size:  532.3 KB

oh yeah, the connectors with green hexagons connect to each other in case that wasn't obvious...
Old 10-03-2014, 01:12 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I hate to break this to you but most often sketchy wiring results in a no charge condition or a fire!!

Does Voltage regulator bring anything to mind??

It does Regulate Voltage .

Might have got a bad one.

Your running dual batteries ??

Has this system ever worked??

Dual batteries .

That could be the problem there it sees a huge load and is trying to put out enough voltage to meet the demand.

I have seen that happen for different reasons before over the years.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:51 PM

re: 1984 22R alternator-regulator wiring

@wyoming9:

Thanks for your reply.

After reading the high voltage, I took off the alternator and the voltage regulator and had both tested. They are fine. I also went through that section of the wiring harness for continuity. Its fine.

Also, I have the aux battery detached from the system under the hood to simplify things.

I think I may have a short somewhere or that my alternator isn't matched to my regulator/wiring properly. The alternator guy said it was from an older model but that it had been rewired should it should work.

I'm curious about the unused connector and what it was/is for.

Also, does anyone out there recognize the year of this harness? (so I have a better sense why it should/should not work with my alternator)...

Or, does anyone who has a the same type of harness see anything wrong with this wiring? Something that should/shouldn't be there?

I'm going to start digging for a short tomorrow, but any information on the wiring pictured above would be really helpful.

Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:54 PM

Red face

You are running a dual battery isolating device ??

Depending just what type or if it has failed.

Unless this is electrically removed from the system it will cause the system to put out high voltage when the second battery is disconnected.

If you have a short you will have open circuit protection or melted wires or a fire.

In essence return your charging system to stock make sure it all works.

Then figure out what added parts are causing your over charge condition.

Take a picture of your alternator and your regulator

Most people upgrade to the newer style alternators don`t use older ones

In fact the alternator I have here for a 83 22rec has the internal regulator.

So back to my question Has it ever worked correct??

No telling what might have been done. that is the hard part to figure out just what year parts you have.

If this charging system is on of course things have been rewired

Just what year engine do you have??Has someone put in a older engine from 1981@ then merged the wiring harness which could drive most people crazy.

Perhaps some back story just what you have could be a big help

A big mess is what you have it seems.

Good luck
Old 10-05-2014, 10:29 AM

@wyoming9

Of course, sorry, duh. Here's pictures of my alternator and regulator:

Name:  d014ecba-65a8-4d5c-83b6-de514fbe0703_zpsb97a69e8.jpg
Views: 20955
Size:  367.4 KB

Name:  cc979df9-fd3c-43ae-a61b-f7b9665adb76_zpsd5ec1493.jpg
Views: 11588
Size:  110.2 KB

Name:  1dbf51a3-75ee-4420-8636-a353ce4ced6d_zpsa858ecb7.jpg
Views: 11911
Size:  154.8 KB

Name:  cd0e5440-7e7a-4b5a-a423-2e135a97b78d_zpsa15d004f.jpg
Views: 10918
Size:  74.1 KB

Name:  58b591a0-1772-4c02-b5b7-4b7829a8fe5c_zps489edab4.jpg
Views: 11040
Size:  74.3 KB

I forgot to say that I'm inclined to trust the man I bought it from who told me that the system was charging before his alternator went kaput and he got this replacement one.

Also, I've tested the battery isolator and the diode seems to be working fine, there's continuity from the alternator post to the battery posts but not that other way around.

Engine is original.

One thing is that it's a TOYOTA BANDIT, I think the tiniest motorhome that was ever made. So, there's stuff like the tail lights that run off the system under the hood, but they aren't stock. I did find a broken wire from one of the reverse lights (open circuit, but not a short? I think its pretty unlikely it would have anything to ground to because back there it's all wood and fiberglass from the RV body). Going to fix that up and see if it has any effect.

The reason I bring up the alternator not being correct is because I found this thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...13/index2.html

Seems like there are some similarities...

On the second page, post 24, KettleHouse says he basically got the wrong alt. It was a B circuit that should be used with a 6-pin connector, NOT a 5-pin connector. Well, the alternator guys told me that I had an older alternator that had been rewired to fit my truck. Currently, as you can see in the photos, I have a 5-pin connector on my regulator. I'm wondering if this is the problem, I tried contacting KettleHouse but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Anyways, hopefully these photos are helpful and thanks again for the input!

Last edited by dickyditch; 10-05-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:42 AM

sorry double post

Last edited by dickyditch; 10-05-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:02 PM

Red face

Yea ok now it makes more sense.

No telling what was done by the up fitters when they built the rest of the truck.

If there were any wiring diagrams most likely long since lost.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:09 PM

Angry ???

Hello, anybody out there?

Really? Can no one tell me what the purpose of the unused green connector is? It seems like it matches the description of a different regulator connector used for the same year? Any ideas anyone?

I'm trying to figure out is going on with this wiring harness, because it seems funky and thats the only component I'm unsure about. Theres obviously people on here who have really higher level understanding of wiring, and I imagine you all could just glance at these photos and tell me whats up. Maybe thats a delusion? Either way, I'm really surprised that no one on this website is able or willing to give me any feed back whatsoever on the SPECIFIC FUNCTION OF THE UNUSED CONNECTOR, something that really looks like its stock.

I don't get it, I took really great photos, labelled them really clearly, and yet no one can tell me anything besides basically to say "yer screwed" and "good luck".

Sorry for the rant, but I'm pissed because this is the only forum available for information on how to take care of this myself and I'm not trying to pay a mechanic a bunch of money to scratch his nuts over the fact that my harness doesn't match the wiring diagrams. I am going to do this myself because I understand basic electrical concepts and I need a helping hand here. Please, in the spirit of doing it yourself, bestow upon me your gosh darned wisdom.

WHAT IS THE PREVIOUS FUNCTION OF THE UNUSED CONNECTOR IN THE ABOVE PHOTOS?

Last edited by dickyditch; 10-21-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:18 PM

Red face

If I had Toyota`s EWD for your year truck it might be possible to figure out just what you have .

What do the wires coming to the unused connector do ?/

Have you measured any voltage..

If I remember correct Coil and igniter plugs were green

plugs can change from year to year.

one of those things you need to do one step at a time

maybe you will get lucky and someone close to you will be able to help looking at things in person and seeing the whole engine bay can make a big difference.

Last edited by wyoming9; 10-21-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:36 PM

That whole setup sux. Voltage regs go bad all the time and there are a bunch of different setups.
Drop a chevy one wire in there and be done with it. Easier to get a higher output alternator too.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/toyot...r-bracket.html
Old 12-14-2014, 01:56 PM

Hi, just wanted to chime in, I've got a Sunrader motorhome on a 78 chassis with a 22r engine. Loads of weird wires and demons. I have fixed some, but still have some serious problems that come and go. I don't have a connector like you are wondering about, can't help there. But i have charging issues as well. Overcharging, not charging, frustrating! Good luck and keep posting! I haven't been able to figure out the overcharging thing. After a month of using electrical accessories to regulate my voltage, the regulator started tapping and not charging. I adjusted the regulator and it worked....for another month. Now I'm over charging again after a hell drive thru the rain, causing myriad electrical issues...

Anyway, good luck again!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Your setup looks very similar to mine. I agree, switching to a GM style will probably make it easier because there is info out there for that. On mine, the external regulator is removed and the GM alternator with a a 4 pin plug was hooked up without the P going anywhere. Going to the Toyota 4 pin, like you have, the thicker gauge white wire is not hooked up. IIRC, the green plug is left unplugged. What you will find is that Toyota switched around the alternators and charging wiring a bit in the early 80's and especially around 84 to 85.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:44 PM

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I wanted to confirm for anyone who found it by searching like I was, that switching out those alternators fixed our problem. We have exactly the same wiring harness as the original poster here, including the random extra green plug near the voltage regulator.

The incorrect alternator had been running the truck for a couple months without us noticing a problem, although it does now make sense why we kept going through so many headlights! It probably had been overcharging all that time, but finally boiled out enough fluid from the battery that it caused the major problem that alerted us to the situation.

We spent about 10 days troubleshooting every ground and filing every connection before we finally found that same link to the guy talking about the 6-pin vs 5-pin alternators. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120...13/index2.html We switched it out today and sure enough, works just like it should!
Old 09-03-2015, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Probably too late to help the original poster but here is some information to help other out with alternator wiring nightmares caused by previous owners that think they are electrical engineers.

Here are the two typical setup on the early 22R (Pre-85):
#1:
  • 55 amp alternator
  • Green female plug on alternator
  • Alternator plug is wired "F-E-N" with the F terminal centered over the E & N terminals in a triangular pattern
  • 6 wire external regulator
  • Wiring colors from the regulator (Based on 1983 Pickup)
    • Red --> Ignition
    • Yellow --> Charge light
    • White --> Battery (spliced into the white wire coming off of the B terminal of the alternator)
    • Lt Blue --> N terminal of the alternator
    • Green --> F terminal of the alternator
    • Black --> E terminal of the alternator

#2:
  • 40 amp alternator
  • Black female plug on alternator
  • Alternator plug is "L-E-F" with the L terminal over the E & F terminals in an L-shaped pattern
  • 5 wire external regulator
    • Red --> Ignition
    • Yellow --> Charge light (Spliced into the yellow wire coming off of the L terminal of the alternator)
    • White --> Battery (spliced into the white wire coming off of the B terminal of the alternator)
You either have one setup or the other. You cannot mix and match without rewiring the whole charging system.

Now for the original poster, assuming that you bought the correct regulator and I am seeing things correctly, it looks like you have a 5 wire voltage regulator (setup #2 above). Therefore, you need a L-E-F alternator. This is also confirmed by the "L-shaped" alternator plug in the first picture of your first post. The alternator you bought is an E-F-N alternator which is is the wrong wiring pattern to begin with for setup #1 which is why it has that short adapter plug to convert it to a F-E-N pattern. If I'm not too late, go with setup #2 and you won't have any problems.

Hope this helps some of you guys out!
The following users liked this post:
gullyrat (04-10-2022)
Old 04-23-2016, 12:33 AM

Hey,

Just getting back on this thread after a long time.

kawazx636, what a super clear helpful response! thanks, its good reading it even if its too late!

I ended up doing the GM 1-wire swap. The guys at the alternator shop gave me a deal on it and its been charging great.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:49 AM

Red face

I am glad that switching to the GM alternator cured your problems.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:47 PM

Wiring questions

So is there a reason why you just can't get a 6 pin voltage reg and run the lt blue wire to the n position on the alternator?

Originally Posted by kawazx636
Probably too late to help the original poster but here is some information to help other out with alternator wiring nightmares caused by previous owners that think they are electrical engineers.

Here are the two typical setup on the early 22R (Pre-85):
#1:
  • 55 amp alternator
  • Green female plug on alternator
  • Alternator plug is wired "F-E-N" with the F terminal centered over the E & N terminals in a triangular pattern
  • 6 wire external regulator
    • Red --> Ignition
    • Yellow --> Charge light
    • Lt Blue --> N terminal of the alternator

#2:
  • 40 amp alternator
  • Black female plug on alternator
  • Alternator plug is "L-E-F" with the L terminal over the E & F terminals in an L-shaped pattern
  • 5 wire external regulator
    • Red --> Ignition
    • Yellow --> Charge light (Spliced into the yellow wire coming off of the L terminal of the alternator)
You either have one setup or the other. You cannot mix and match without rewiring the whole charging system.

Now for the original poster, assuming that you bought the correct regulator and I am seeing things correctly, it looks like you have a 5 wire voltage regulator (setup #2 above). Therefore, you need a L-E-F alternator. This is also confirmed by the "L-shaped" alternator plug in the first picture of your first post. The alternator you bought is an E-F-N alternator which is is the wrong wiring pattern to begin with for setup #1 which is why it has that short adapter plug to convert it to a F-E-N pattern. If I'm not too late, go with setup #2 and you won't have any problems.

Hope this helps some of you guys out!
Old 04-07-2017, 02:37 PM

Good Thoughts,
Is there a way to buy the connector " N-15" for The Rebuilt alternator by Auto Zone # 14273 Duralast . I connected the green plug of the alternator with small terminals, in a long run I will need to connect it properly. If any one have an info really appreciated.
Thank u,
Mr. D
Old 08-27-2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by AustinTaco
Your setup looks very similar to mine. I agree, switching to a GM style will probably make it easier because there is info out there for that. On mine, the external regulator is removed and the GM alternator with a a 4 pin plug was hooked up without the P going anywhere. Going to the Toyota 4 pin, like you have, the thicker gauge white wire is not hooked up. IIRC, the green plug is left unplugged. What you will find is that Toyota switched around the alternators and charging wiring a bit in the early 80's and especially around 84 to 85.

Um yeah I am dealing with an 84 with a 22r did the one wire swap nothing but issues. I am getting the plug tomorrow to go in the back of the alternator and sounds like what you did I have to do! Tips?

What wire is what?
Old 08-27-2017, 05:03 PM

How to i hook this up to the correct wires?

Quick Reply: 1984 22R alternator-regulator wiring