Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Few questions about alarm system

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Take it from a guy who had one of those systems:

Throw it away or sell it. They are nothing but a giant headache, high failure rate parts, and its not worth it to forget you left your truck in gear one day and watch it go driving off down the road while you /faceplam yourself from inside your warm house. Your truck should always be left in gear ANYWAYS when you are not in it.

You have to hack apart your factory wiring, and when that junk fails in a few years you will be tearing it back out. Alarms are completely useless. I can get around your fancy alarm in 3 seconds (they all install the EXACT same way) and steal your truck just the same.

Remember, alarms, Locks, Code, passwords, etc only keep out the honest people. Think about how you look over at someones rig in the parking lot when their alarm is going off laughing at their misfortune, or wondering what crow or cat set it off. No one cares when an alarm is going off, including a thief.
I second this notion.... never had one myself, but I used to install these things day in and day out, when they firrst got popular, always hated the man trans... more wires to hack, more stuff to fix down the road.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would be more worried about the 86 getting stolen..

and if you install the door locks on the 86, you can have door locks..
Old 03-22-2011, 12:29 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Outsane
...and if you install the door locks on the 86, you can have door locks..
yes, yes you can have door locks if you install door locks...

electric locks are going on my rig sometime. probably can find a good deal at the junkyard
Old 03-22-2011, 12:51 PM

automatic door looks from the remote...
Old 03-22-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Team420
I second this notion.... never had one myself, but I used to install these things day in and day out, when they firrst got popular, always hated the man trans... more wires to hack, more stuff to fix down the road.
Yeah ill probably end up selling it.

I would be more worried about the 86 getting stolen..

and if you install the door locks on the 86, you can have door locks..
I hope no one steals her i'd cry

and i don't have power locks ...

Originally Posted by irab88
yes, yes you can have door locks if you install door locks...

electric locks are going on my rig sometime. probably can find a good deal at the junkyard
WAY too much work man... Just do what i did, buy another Toyota 4x4 that already has power options, oh and a sunroof!

automatic door looks from the remote...
Only if you have power locks.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:26 PM

power door locks or Key less entry can be added.. did to my honda with a two way viper pager..

To get a sunroof on my 4runner, I cut off the the top and put on a one that had a sunroof.... but I also flopped it.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
...WAY too much work man... Just do what i did, buy another Toyota 4x4 that already has power options, oh and a sunroof! ...
c'mon! i'm the electric-ian, or as mark called me:
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
WOW, Ian, You're a Proverbial 'Electronic Rock unt Rolllller'!...
they sell aftermarket kits for power locks. nothing more than a few wires. about the same as your fog lights
Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 PM

power door locks or Key less entry can be added.. did to my honda with a two way viper pager..

To get a sunroof on my 4runner, I cut off the the top and put on a one that had a sunroof.... but I also flopped it.
c'mon! i'm the electric-ian, or as mark called me:

they sell aftermarket kits for power locks. nothing more than a few wires. about the same as your fog lights

Too much work! lol

Anyway i still need to know about that mysterious second button...
Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its really not too involved of an installation if you really wanted to put the alarm/remote start in your runner. I dont understand what people mean when they say that you have to "hack" all of your wires and that will cause you an issue later. I install viper and have installed viper products for many years, and have never had any issues with my installs. I have however seen product go bad. if the item is installed properly you should have no issues with it in the future. I say should becuase it is electronics and we all know how that goes. If installed PROPERLY you should have no issues down the road with the install. but as also mentioned by death cougar, an alarm is simply a deterent that can easily be bypassed by anyone that knows basic wiring colors on alarms.

if you really want to install it in your runner i can get you a wiring sheet as to what you need to tap into and i can help you pre wire it so its easier for you. The only wire you are going to need to cut will be the starter wire, the rest you would just strip and tap into.

if you are just interested in the remote start aspect of it and not so much the alarm, i have a few new in the box remote start set ups we may be able to work a trade on with your alarm/start combo.

also as stated, you can definately install the remote starter, you will just have to do a nuetral safety bypass and remember to leave it out of gear. it only takes one time starting it in gear to remember to never do that again.

feel free to text me if you want more help or info

jason
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 AM

Too much work! lol

Anyway i still need to know about that mysterious second button...
it hails the mothership

Old 03-24-2011, 09:16 AM

I would like a wiring sheet for a 1984 4runner..I may end up putting an alarm in the rig just for the power locks..
Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by drpdmazda
Its really not too involved of an installation if you really wanted to put the alarm/remote start in your runner. I dont understand what people mean when they say that you have to "hack" all of your wires and that will cause you an issue later. I install viper and have installed viper products for many years, and have never had any issues with my installs. I have however seen product go bad. if the item is installed properly you should have no issues with it in the future. I say should becuase it is electronics and we all know how that goes. If installed PROPERLY you should have no issues down the road with the install. but as also mentioned by death cougar, an alarm is simply a deterent that can easily be bypassed by anyone that knows basic wiring colors on alarms.

if you really want to install it in your runner i can get you a wiring sheet as to what you need to tap into and i can help you pre wire it so its easier for you. The only wire you are going to need to cut will be the starter wire, the rest you would just strip and tap into.

if you are just interested in the remote start aspect of it and not so much the alarm, i have a few new in the box remote start set ups we may be able to work a trade on with your alarm/start combo.

also as stated, you can definately install the remote starter, you will just have to do a nuetral safety bypass and remember to leave it out of gear. it only takes one time starting it in gear to remember to never do that again.

feel free to text me if you want more help or info

jason
Jason,

I need to see how things pan out. I may end up selling it to help fuel my 3.4 swap. Either way i'm sure i will be in touch. I really appreciate the help.

-Brian

it hails the mothership

Hate to break it to ya man, but that crashed years ago...
Old 03-24-2011, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hear ya, if you can sell it go for it. 3.4 swap should be fun. any ideas where you may get the engine?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM

...Hate to break it to ya man, but that crashed years ago...
wrong "mothership"
Old 03-24-2011, 02:01 PM

wrong "mothership"
yes i assumed you meant Led Zeppelin lol a Led Zeppelin CD was the first CD i ever bought, still have it. They're still my favorite band.

STAY ON TOPIC!