General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Winch location

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winch location

My custom bumper was not designed for a winch, but since I did the mounting system myself with 12 bolts and some good welding along with Rob's "endcap mod", I'm confident that it is strong enough for a winch. That being said, I don't have any room behind the skid plate (under the flat top surface) for a winch without completely removing the radiator. I was wondering if it would be smart or feasible to put it on top of the flat surface (where the Hellas are). Would I still get proper cooling through the grill? Where could I locate the Hellas? Thanks!

Last edited by drguitarum2005; 03-14-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

need more pictures
Old 03-14-2007, 09:12 AM

I think it would cut down on the air flow through the A.C. condenser, and the Radiator.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

i think it'd be a little too high given that the bumper is anchored at the end of the frame. i think that would put a lot of torque on those mounts, moreso than if I mounted it closer to the rails. I'll have to think of something else.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

i finally remembered this thread and got 2 pics of the side of the bumper so you can see the limited space i have. does anyone have suggestions for mounting this winch? I want it to be as strong as possible to mounting it on top/across of both frame rails would be the best, but theres limited space. im not against cutting up the skid plate in front but I want it to look good too

Old 04-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

bump. any input on this? im open to any ideas....
Old 04-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
i finally remembered this thread and got 2 pics of the side of the bumper so you can see the limited space i have. does anyone have suggestions for mounting this winch? I want it to be as strong as possible to mounting it on top/across of both frame rails would be the best, but theres limited space. im not against cutting up the skid plate in front but I want it to look good too

Alright, being one who has built a winch bumper that tucks the winch is as tight as one can be tucked.......

I would not attach a winch to your existing bumper. I would ditch what you have and start over. Its no fun when you are in a tight spot and need to rely on your winch to get you out, and then it happens: popping and cracking, then your winch comes flying off the front of your rig. No fun at all.

If you really want a winch bumper, you need to start with a strong foundation. Make sure the platform that will hold the winch is securely mounted to the frame. Then, built the rest of the bumper parts around this.

You can read about how I designed my front bumper/winch conbo and built it here:
http://www.hunt4steve.com/99RunExt_frtbump.html

To date, I don't know of any other winch that is tucked in as tight as mine. All Pro comes very close, but those guys have a massive fab shop specificaly for this kind of stuff.

Here are a few pics:

Strong Foundation; center brace is 1/4" thick, 2" x 3". This stiff center brace also helps to stiffen up the front section of the frame, essentially closing the loop for the front of the frame.

Part of the platfrom that holds the winch, raised up about 4" from the bumper level:

I have other non-published pictures as well that I have supplied to others that have wanted to build a bumper exactly like mine.

Does it work? Indeed, it does. I have pulled myself out of Pritchett Canyon, as well as pulling others out of buried snow. The foundation of the bumper is securely mounted by 4 bolts on each frame rail. There is an additional two bolts that keep the wings of the bumper from any side pressure.

Hope this helps.

edit: You may be able to build a very strong foundation, then attempt to fab your existing bumper into the foundation.......I understand you have some time and effort into your existing bumper, and I do understand that you would want to keep this. Guess, I'm just trying to avoid any potential disasters of a winch and bumper tearing from the frame when you really need it.

Last edited by SteveO; 04-05-2007 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:36 AM

thats a beauty of a bumper steve.

what about cutting the center skid, mount a center cross member to connect both sides of the frame, then weld your winch plate to the center cross member. that would be low enough, but you would loose approach angle.

somebody chime in if that wouldn't work.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:44 AM

Cant say where to put her but I can say that u need it as low as u can get it. I have a buddy with a winch and he has broken the fabbed bumper of his right off cause it was too high...looked good but not practical....
Old 04-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

depending on the size of the winch i could indeed cut a rectangle out of the skid, weld a crossmember across the ends of the frame rails and weld the winch plate onto that. i would put some steel (probably 1/4", maybe 1/8") around the winch sticking out obviously and as a place to hold the fairlead. i'd need to get some winch dimensions to see just how far out it would stick...

so far I havent been on a position where i need that much approach angle, and if everyone else has their winch across that crossmember and their bumpers around the winch, then i'm already ahead of the game having my skid plate tucked in so close. i could try it and if it didnt work out i could always cut it back out and fab up something else
Old 04-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

also, that built-in white crossmember where my PA is hanging off...can I cut the middle section of that out to allow the winch to be pushed further back?
Old 04-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

bump for last question ^^^

looking for a way to get rid of the white crossmember you see behind the bumper which kidna holds the radiator