General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Will the height adjustment of the clutch pedal affect the wear of the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the height adjustment of the clutch pedal affect the wear of the clutch?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if the height adjustment from the top of the clutch pedal to the floor, measured perpendicular to the floor, will affect the wear on the clutch disk/pressure plate? I was told that if the height adjustment exceeds spec, it could prematurely wear the clutch.

Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Troy
Old 11-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could if the clutch didn't engage all the way when the pedal was released. I mean if the clutch didn't engage fully when the pedal was let out. It would aslo not be good for it to be at the bottom of the pedal (floor) because then the clutch isn't fully dissengaged, which could lead to premature wear on the transmission.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by seaflea
It could if the clutch didn't engage all the way when the pedal was released. I mean if the clutch didn't engage fully when the pedal was let out. It would aslo not be good for it to be at the bottom of the pedal (floor) because then the clutch isn't fully dissengaged, which could lead to premature wear on the transmission.

Thanks Will. BTW, do you measure from the carpet or from the metal floor? Also, I've noticed you've got an '87, what is your height adjustment and do you know if it's the same for an '88?

Troy
Old 11-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To tell you the truth, I never really measured it. As long as it is off of the floor and not at the top of the pedal, I never really worry about it. I do like my clutch to be in the middle of pedal movement. I f you can get it there, you will be fine. Once you get the clutch bled and ready to go then adjust the pedal (under the dash) and fine tune it to the way you want. The adjustment should be the same for 87/88 4runners.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by seaflea
To tell you the truth, I never really measured it. As long as it is off of the floor and not at the top of the pedal, I never really worry about it. I do like my clutch to be in the middle of pedal movement. I f you can get it there, you will be fine. Once you get the clutch bled and ready to go then adjust the pedal (under the dash) and fine tune it to the way you want. The adjustment should be the same for 87/88 4runners.

My clutch seems to disengage about 1/3 from the top of full pedal height. I'm currently experiencing minor clutch slippage during hard acceleration, but didn't haven't any problems with slippage about a couple of weeks ago. The pedal height was adjusted about 2 to 3 months ago. I think it maybe time for a new clutch. I guess I thought it would last longer...

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 11-21-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know Troy, with all those clutch problems maybe it's time to get an auto
Old 11-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
I don't know Troy, with all those clutch problems maybe it's time to get an auto
You were just the man I was thinking about today for help with the clutch job!! I'll pm you and if you've got time, and that tranny jack available, please let me know. It's great to know you're still on Yotatech Eric.

Troy