General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Tundra DIESEL CONFIRMED!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want a 4 cylinder turbo diesel in the tacoma...that would be sweet set up.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:01 PM

I am putting my 5.9L Cummins in my 4Runner.

....just kidding. I love my 5.9L Dodge Cummins. Great motor. Did I mention I got it after going thru a lemon law with my 6.0L Ford PowerCrap!

Can't wait for Toyota to get in the American diesel market! Hopefully they do it right with good gas mileage.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote: "anyone got ne experience with the power stroke diesels? they any good?" the brand new ones and the older ones. like the 80's 90's and 2008 are good but i've heard and seen the 2000's had head gasket problems. my grandpa has one (2002 F-250) and has replaced the head gasket twice in it's 113,000 miles. luckily dealer replaced it both times because it was under warranty. he also does a lot of towing probably weekly in the summer.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota has recently released in Europe a Corolla with an Isuzu 1.3L Diesel. so if you consider that Isuzu has some diesels in the states already, the newest Toyota diesels to the states could be powerd by Isuzu. seeing as Toyota has a 5.9% stocks of Isuzu, but so does Mitsubishi, so Toyota and Mitsubishi could work something out since they both have shares in Isuzu.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by 07sbock
I also own a 2000 ford f250 with a 7.3 diesel, also it has 247,000 miles on it. Thats the one thing ford can do right is build a diesel.
you mean navistar aka international

but your right about one thing ford cant do anything right itself unless you go to austtralia
Old 01-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

your right about international, i have a 91 F250 7.3L and it has well over 400,000km on it, and we are the 2nd owner of it (like my Surf) but i don't know what the previous owner did with it, all i know is that he is a diesel mechanic for buses, so i assume he just fixed anything as soon as it became a problem.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:19 AM

Smile

I would take a toyota diesel over a cummins any day, if you dig a little deeper you find that toyota and it's affiliates (Hino, Isuzu, and even mercedes) produce more diesels than any other diesel manufacturer. I think that toyota will actually do a hybrid gas first, then from what i heard from a manufacturing rep that was here testing the FJ in CO is that Isuzu and Toyota are working with new batteries to try and make a hybrid diesel. But on the other hand there was a "concept" Tundra at this years SEMA show that had an 8.0 Litre inline 6 diesel from Hino with an Eaton Five speed. But the Toyota rep assured me that the diesel would be about 700ftlbs and around 30,000lb tow capacity.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by 07sbock
I also own a 2000 ford f250 with a 7.3 diesel, also it has 247,000 miles on it. Thats the one thing ford can do right is build a diesel. I plow with it and it yanks my 15 foot yard trailer around like nothing. I used my little 88 22RE 4x4 pickup for almost a year and couldnt take it anymore. I still love my toyota's thoe, Thats why I own two of them.
its made by international the 7.3 that is
Old 01-22-2008, 09:43 AM

if it would actually be getting 35mpg i think it would be awesome to drive around
Old 01-29-2008, 09:39 PM

yeah i already explained to him that powerstroke is international. kid doesnt get it arguing about how 4runners and fjs and land cruisers are all made in the hino plant in north america then argues about it for 5 posts. he knows his facts
Old 01-29-2008, 09:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
damn 7.3L engine. what a gas sucker.

a diesel hybrid. that would be funny.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:44 PM

the real heartbreaker about the whole diesel deal is we will never get a pre emissions toyota diesel its always gonna have the power sapping crap on it
Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by idayota
i want a 4 cylinder turbo diesel in the tacoma...that would be sweet set up.
thats about all im willing to buy when it comes to Diesel, i dont need to haul a Yacht, or even a small tin boat, theres not use for me really, the toyota engines already out do fine on and off road, if they were to bring over the small diesels i'd be interested, but i dont need a 3/4 ton truck w/ a huge diesel, others might...but i definately dont haha

Last edited by kylextrisler; 01-29-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i really dont haul much but the awesome torque, mpg, power, and acceleration of the 5.9l cummins manual tranny my friend has, makes me want one so bad, they are sick and hella fast, and u just cant beat the diesel sound, i think it is dare i say it a better sound than the old v8 motors
Old 01-29-2008, 10:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish that Oem's like toyota would realize that americans actually like diesels for more than hauling crap around in a huge, heavy truck that has the drag c.e. of a brick,

Why do almost all of toyota's other markets get diesels for the last 20-30 years, and yet we still don't have one? (I know they had some diesel truck or something in the mid 70's sometime, that doesn't count)

I am sure that there was some legit reason for them to not import the diesels, and it was probably the by-product of some stupid tarriff or something that our government imposed to protect the big three (that's what happened to the 2-door 2nd gen 4runner), but I just wish that toyota would have changed thier minds at some point in time

They come out with a hybrid prius and camry that get 45mpg or whatever, well sorry but volkswagen was doing that with diesels 15 or 20 years ago, and they sold them in the US, where was toyota on that one? only about 15 years late, and they still don't have a diesel in any of thier US market cars

I really could care less about the diesel Tundra, because as cool as it is, they are going to sell a lot but still they are probably going to overestimate the demand for it, and be disapointed, but hopefully they put a diesel in the FJ or a 4runner or something with a slightly smaller price tag, and I think they will be shocked by the demand, and hopefully realize where the market is (I know that they have 2wd reg-cab tundra base models that are probably less than base model 4runners or FJ's, but they actually sell way more fully loaded ones, that would be way more than comparibly equipped 4runners or FJ's)

My wish-full thinking is that they do something like put a SFA under ANYTHING and put a diesel in it, but I highly doubt that will ever happen from toyota, I wish it would, but I just don't see it,

I wish that Toyota would take a look at what people are doing to thier trucks that they sold here within the last 30 years, SAS, V8 swap (or anything to get more power), diesel swaps etc etc, maybe they would realize what we want to go along with toyota reliability

Can you imagine how many people would trade in thier old yotas for a brand new solid axle turbo diesel tacoma or 4runner?

Sorry for the long post, I hate reading them too

Last edited by b.miller123; 01-29-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:56 AM

Coincidentially enough I was talking to a 'higher-up' at work yesterday (I work at a Toyota dealership). He told me that immediate plans for Toyota are, in no order, as follows:

1.) Tundra/ Sequoia diesel
2.) Introduction of new model, the Venza
3.) Introduction of remodeled Corolla/Matrix
4.) Increasing fuel economy in all vehicles
5.) Possibilty of Sienna diesel

I don't know if its all stone fact, but the guy I talked to knows what he's talking about. He made no mention of a hybrid Tundra or a diesel Taco/4Runner/FJ. Another interesting fact he brought up was that the Tundra diesel would most likely power the existing 1/2 ton trucks (calling them 'Tundra HD'), and that as of now Toyota has no plans for introducing any 3/4 or 1 ton trucks.

From what I understand, the redesigned 2009 F-150 will have a diesel option, so I wouldn't be suprised to see Toyota release their diesel around the same time.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by b.miller123
I wish that Oem's like toyota would realize that americans actually like diesels for more than hauling crap around in a huge, heavy truck that has the drag c.e. of a brick,

Not really. The general public is VERY uneducated when it comes to diesel engines. Sure, all of us car/truck guys know all the pros/cons of diesels and would know what we're getting ourselves into when we buy one.

Let's take into account the average SUV driver (which is the type of vehicle they out a diesel in other than Tundra):

1.) Get in car.
2.) Start car (wouldn't dream of waiting for plugs to warm up)
3.) Immediatly crank heat and drive away at 1/2 throttle or more
4.) Get to work 9 minutes later

See what I mean? There's not one person with the aforementioned driving style (which is most people nowadays) that would benefit from a diesel. People don't want to take time to plug their cars in, or let them warm up, or pay more for fuel and maintenence.

Last edited by nix4x4; 01-30-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
man that venza looks UGLY!!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nix4x4
Not really. The general public is VERY uneducated when it comes to diesel engines. Sure, all of us car/truck guys know all the pros/cons of diesels and would know what we're getting ourselves into when we buy one.

Let's take into account the average SUV driver (which is the type of vehicle they out a diesel in other than Tundra):

1.) Get in car.
2.) Start car (wouldn't dream of waiting for plugs to warm up)
3.) Immediatly crank heat and drive away at 1/2 throttle or more
4.) Get to work 9 minutes later

See what I mean? There's not one person with the aforementioned driving style (which is most people nowadays) that would benefit from a diesel. People don't want to take time to plug their cars in, or let them warm up, or pay more for fuel and maintenence.
Those new VW diesels are hop in and drive style... though if it is really cold they probably suck just like any vehicle does till it warms up...

Originally Posted by infiltrator
man that venza looks UGLY!!!!
I've seen a lot worse...
Old 01-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
That abat crap is worse.....

Quick Reply: Tundra DIESEL CONFIRMED!!!!