General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Toyota clutch/trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota clutch/trans issue

Not my 4runner, but my fiance's toyota.

Just wanted to throw this up to you guys and see what you think. My fiance has a 1996 Toyota Corolla 5-speed, ~180k miles. Recently (within the last 2 weeks), after sitting all night (8+ hours) its becomes difficult to shift. Even with the clutch pressed all the way, it grinds a little into reverse, and then wants to stick there. When I got it out of reverse, it didn't want to go into 1st. Then once its going in 1st, it tough to shift it to 2nd.

Now the strange part is that once you're in second and driving (lets say we pull out of our apartment onto the main road), Its shifts fine from 2-3,3-4, and 4-5. Downshifts fine. And after about 2 minutes of driving, it shift into the trouble gears (1,2,R) no problem. And will be fine the rest of the day. We can get to school and let it sit for 5 hours and come back and it shifts fine. But over night is when we have issues.

Notes: I checked the clutch master cylinder and added a little DOT 3 fluid to it yesterday to see if that would help today. I also think it may have something to do with her clutch cable. Her peddle feels wierd, and I think its not disengaging the clutch all the way when its depressed. I'm praying its not the trans itself. What do you guys think? I can give you any additional info you want. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:08 AM

check the slave cylinder?
Old 09-25-2009, 11:50 AM

My buddy told me to check to leaks from the master cylinder. It was dry when I added fluid. He also said, "Because of the "only when cold" symptoms, I'm guessing there is air in the system and when it is cold, the air has bled out, and once hot, you've slightly re-pressurized the system thus allowing a smoother engagement...?" What do you all think.

As for the weird feeling with the clutch pedal, I would say soft and mushy describes it best.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:20 PM

funny, I have the same problem some times.... I have no idea whats going on with it, I even had the stealership look at it because I'm covered in a warranty. when its cold its hard to put into any gear, but once running out of the parking lot its easy to put into gears... going back to when the trucks cold... and I try to put it into gear with clutch pedal completely pressed.... it moves the car some... WIERD, I haven't a clue as wo what happens... I have a 2000 4R 5vz-fe with 110K in good condition
Old 09-25-2009, 09:49 PM

Result: Have a small, slow leak in the clutch master cylinder. Don't know where yet, but after putting fluid in the master cylinder reservoir and lettign it sit all night, it shifted perfectly today. So now I have to find this leak. I know its small and slow because we had the master cylinder replaced over 3 years ago and its just now dried.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:57 PM

Mines leaking slowly on the inside where I adjust my play, did you check there?
Old 10-07-2009, 04:10 PM

that problem i talked about earlier in this thread... when the clutch was not pressed a sound came from my transmission, didn't sound right... then when id push the clutch in the sound would go away... and every once n a while the truck would not go into any gears when cold... so i brought it to the stealership because i still have a warranty... and the stealership said that they recommend replacement of the transmission because the gears are so torn up... so um theres the information i have on it now