General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

toyota 22r engine rebuild ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toyota 22r engine rebuild ???'s

Hi, im looking at a 87 pickup with a 22r. The engine has bad compression and runs really rough. The owner replaced the head gasket so i guess thats not the problem. So would a basic rebuild fix it. If i didnt rebuild the oil pump or timing chain could i rebuild it without taking it out of the truck. And how hard is it to do a basic rebuild.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finish my rebuild. I would highly suggest taking it out of the truck. You will spend let time and frustration. If you do a rebuild including the bottom end, you will have to take off the oil pump an dtiming chain anyway to get the block cleaned. Most likely you will need to take the block to a machine shop and have the block bored if you have bad compression. They will want it with everything off. Best suggestion is to get a rebuild kit from engnblder.com. Hands down the best deal and quality out there.

Have you done the oil in the cylinder trick to see if you have leaky rings? Put in about a teaspoon of oil in the the spark plug hole before doing the compression test. If the results are better you have bad rings, if not, it is the valves and you don't need to rebuild the block.

BTW I did my rebuild and had never done one before nor had shop class. Get a copy of the factory manual and read it through. Search on rebuilds on yotatech and learn from others.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:26 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
"Hard" is a very relative term. Relative to your mechanical experience and how naturally this sort of stuff comes to you. It's definitely doable with a factory service manual (FSM), lots of little baggies & ways to lable stuff, patience and attention to detail, research, and a good machine shop.

Like PDX said, if you're rebuilding the bottom end, you'll want to take everything off of it & take it out of the truck. Plus, doing a bottom end rebuild without doing the chain, oil & water pumps is just silly. Plus, don't assume that because the previous owner did the head gasket means that it's good. If they overheated, they likely warped the head a bit, and possibly the block, so a new gasket will never seal if they don't have a flat surface to seal to. If you're going to rebuild the lower end, take it all out, bring the block & head to a machine shop and order a rebuild kit from engnbldr.com. Send Ted an email, he's quick to respond and will give you the truth about parts.