General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Theft Recovery Ideas/ Anti-Theft ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stormin94
I'd rather have one of these instead........

http://youtube.com/watch?v=geynA-JYDHE
HAHAHA I want one... except I don't have a trunk....

what about a switch tied to a MP3 device that will play something like Gregorian Chants at full stereo system volume. It would attract attention and drive the little hoodlums away... just a late nite brain toot...
Old 09-13-2007, 08:17 PM

i like the magnetic kill switches. Anything where they can't bypass it by flipping a switch or hitting a button would be the way I'd go. That headphone jack sounds good too
Old 09-13-2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by razrwild
i like the magnetic kill switches. Anything where they can't bypass it by flipping a switch or hitting a button would be the way I'd go. That headphone jack sounds good too
I have ten of those magnetic switches. I was going to do that also, but I never got around to it. If anyone wants one let me know. We can work something out.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

I had a fuel pump kill switch that i always thought would work great, because if i had driven in the last 5 or 6 hours the truck would start and run for about 5 seconds then die because of no fuel.

The switch was well hidden and when my truck was stolen they tore up the floor to get to the wires so they could wire 12v to the fuel pump again. Since the switch was still off when i got the truck back this raises the question of weather the thieves started the truck, pulled into out of the parking spot in the crowded mall at 4:00pm then had to tear apart the floor after the truck died, or if they knew to wire up the fuel pump before just to be safe.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:45 AM

Cool lil blinking led

my 89 has a blinkin LED no alarm just a blinking led when the ign is off

they havent messed with it since
before that someone busted the window to get the pos cd player
I would opened the door for them to save my window

just my $0.02 worth

ken
Old 09-14-2007, 05:21 AM

I think this is what your looking for..
This Guy makes some sweet stuff!!
http://www.12voltguy.com/theftswitch.htm
Old 09-14-2007, 04:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
how about the simplest of all...no wires!
Grant Steering Wheel Lock
http://www.spiderautomotive.com/securitysystem.html
Old 09-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Nice idea but you can't walk into many of the finer dining establishments or jazz clubs [for example] carryinga big old steering wheel without a lot of trouble... lol
Old 09-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get a GPS locator installed. I think you can get em fairly cheap. Just mount it behind the dash, and put the little transmitter on the roof somewhere. If they steal it, you'll know exactly where it is. But since this thread is about preventing theft, I'd suggest simply removing your coil wire when you leave your car for the evening, or in a questionable neighborhood.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
Nice idea but you can't walk into many of the finer dining establishments or jazz clubs [for example] carryinga big old steering wheel without a lot of trouble... lol
can always just stash the steering wheel under the seat or somewhere else

its still locked on the column and it still doesnt do any good if the no-gooder has the wheel
Old 09-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have wanted to wire up a few kill switches for awhile now, one on the ignition and one on the fuel pump, but im not good with wires

so far I have been using a wheel bar (not "the club", this one is stronger) and keeping my interior very clean I.E no cd's take my faceplate off, no change, etc.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:01 PM

i got a better idea put a kill switch on the fuel pump put it somewere no one would look thats what we did to my friends struck
Old 09-18-2007, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LO JACK.

Is the only way to go. Nothing like GPS accuracy to exactly where the rig is.

http://www.lojack.com/what/index.cfm
Old 09-18-2007, 01:36 PM

i figured out a parking-dependent theft deterrence system. I'm going to make a ramp and park it on top of my 40 foot container and lock the ramps inside the container. they will need to be crafty to get it down. I also plan on welding up a couple of eyes on the top of the container to chain down the frame. It won't be going ANYWHERE. unless of course they take the container itself lol. if I were to ever build my own driveway I would do roughly the same thing and concrete in some eyes in the driveway to chain my rig down so it doesn't walk away

i like whoever's idea it was to get a removable steering wheel/shifters/pedals. combine that with taking off the coil wire and fuses and i dont think many thieves are going to bother.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pest
Instead of all the lights, you could just do a Killswitch on the ignition, then one on the fuel pump. That'd stop them from even leaving unless they found both switches. Or be super sneaky and have 2 switches on the same line.
x2! Just add another kill switch. No way a thief could find both switches if you hid them well enough. Someone could get away with driving without lights on, especially they know the area well enough to stay off heavily patroled streets. I'm thinking about wiring up a kill switch with a relay and connecting it to my horn, so if someone trys cranking over the engine with the kill switch thrown, it'll just blow the horn instead, drawing uneeded attention.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
LO JACK.

Is the only way to go. Nothing like GPS accuracy to exactly where the rig is.

http://www.lojack.com/what/index.cfm

Lo Jack doesn't even use a gps...

When a vehicle is stolen and reported to Lo Jack, Lo Jack gives the police the radio frequency that the Lo Jack installed vehicle is constantly broadcasting. Using frequency police can locate the vehicle.

Using a GPS system to locate a stolen vehicle is risky because if the vehicle is in a dense forest, or in a parking garage the GPS system cannot acquire a satellite signal. Which means it is useless.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Lo Jack doesn't even use a gps...

When a vehicle is stolen and reported to Lo Jack, Lo Jack gives the police the radio frequency that the Lo Jack installed vehicle is constantly broadcasting. Using frequency police can locate the vehicle.

Using a GPS system to locate a stolen vehicle is risky because if the vehicle is in a dense forest, or in a parking garage the GPS system cannot acquire a satellite signal. Which means it is useless.

Havne't met a garage that can block my signal yet. Of course that all above ground ones. Don't know about below ground.

As far as forrest, the only time I lost signal was at the base a large canyon under dense foliage.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:02 AM
Contributing Member

Reguardless of how Lo Jack works, isn't that besides the point of this thread? I though we wanted to keep people from stealing our rigs, not just find it after they have "had their way with it". I'm not trying to be a head, but I would like to know what people think about just simply removing their coil wire.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by stormin94
Reguardless of how Lo Jack works, isn't that besides the point of this thread? I though we wanted to keep people from stealing our rigs, not just find it after they have "had their way with it". I'm not trying to be a head, but I would like to know what people think about just simply removing their coil wire.
The title of this thread is "Theft Recovery Idea". Which means recovering a vehicle AFTER it has been stolen. So talking about LoJack is within reason of this thread.

Also who wants to get out of their truck and unplug the coil wire every time they park their truck, and then put it back in every time they want to drive their truck.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Kaleb
The title of this thread is "Theft Recovery Idea". Which means recovering a vehicle AFTER it has been stolen. So talking about LoJack is within reason of this thread.

Also who wants to get out of their truck and unplug the coil wire every time they park their truck, and then put it back in every time they want to drive their truck.
Ah ha...good point. The coil trick works if your parked for a while somewhere. Like at an air port, or something. Or if you don't want someone to drive your car for whatever reason. I've done it once, but I find that locking my doors is the best theft deterant.

Quick Reply: Theft Recovery Ideas/ Anti-Theft ideas