YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/)
-   -   Theft Recovery Ideas/ Anti-Theft ideas (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123/theft-recovery-ideas-anti-theft-ideas-124676/)

Kaleb 09-13-2007 04:17 PM

Theft Recovery Ideas/ Anti-Theft ideas

I just saw some punk kids walk by my truck, and look in the windows. It got me thinking about my truck getting stolen. If they found my kill switch, and started the truck they would be pretty much home free to get it to a safe spot and strip it before I even found out it was missing.

My idea:

Install a kill switch on all lights. That way they would get pulled over for no headlights if dark out, no brake lights, no turn signals, etc. Hopefully this could lead to a vehicles recovery.

What do you guys think?

881stGenRunner 09-13-2007 04:23 PM

sounds like a good idea to me. just hope they dont crash it

algranger 09-13-2007 04:24 PM

wait what exactly is a kill switch?

Kaleb 09-13-2007 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by algranger (Post 50615217)
wait what exactly is a kill switch?

A switch that kills power to a certain system.

algranger 09-13-2007 04:28 PM

o, sound good to me

Pest 09-13-2007 04:59 PM

Might work, but then what if they only drive a few blocks and then tow it? I also think that would be a big anoyance everytime you leave/enter the vehicle, all those switches everywhere...

(Just playing devil's advocate)

Kaleb 09-13-2007 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pest (Post 50615246)
Might work, but then what if they only drive a few blocks and then tow it? I also think that would be a big anoyance everytime you leave/enter the vehicle, all those switches everywhere...

(Just playing devil's advocate)

I'd rather hit a couple of switches when I get in/out then have my truck stolen/get it recovered if it were to be stolen.

Ringmaster 09-13-2007 05:06 PM

Here in Spokane, alot of drivers drive with no lights on. Sooner or later I guess the coppers would pull em over.

Another Kill/Lockout switch on the neutral safety start switch would work.

Pest 09-13-2007 05:10 PM

Instead of all the lights, you could just do a Killswitch on the ignition, then one on the fuel pump. That'd stop them from even leaving unless they found both switches. Or be super sneaky and have 2 switches on the same line.

stormin94 09-13-2007 05:39 PM

I'd rather have one of these instead........

http://youtube.com/watch?v=geynA-JYDHE

89silverpu 09-13-2007 05:43 PM

I've heard of people taking out their EFI fuse or something to that extent...

Kaleb 09-13-2007 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by 89silverpu (Post 50615295)
I've heard of people taking out their EFI fuse or something to that extent...

Thats a bad idea because you are resetting the ecu when you do that. Then it has to learn all over again.

CJM 09-13-2007 06:32 PM

I dunno, had no issues with the EFI fuse removed.

I personally feel a fuel and ignition cut off works the best, install the switch somewhere odd no one would look. I wont tell you where I have hidden them but its in a way outta the way place.

881stGenRunner 09-13-2007 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by CJM (Post 50615338)
I dunno, had no issues with the EFI fuse removed.

I personally feel a fuel and ignition cut off works the best, install the switch somewhere odd no one would look. I wont tell you where I have hidden them but its in a way outta the way place.

So everytime you start your truck you have to hit your switches right?

881stGenRunner 09-13-2007 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kaleb (Post 50615334)
Thats a bad idea because you are resetting the ecu when you do that. Then it has to learn all over again.

Just incase you didn't know, everytime you disconnect your battery for at least 10 mins you are resetting your ECU

4banginRunner 09-13-2007 07:03 PM

a dead battery, no gas, and 3 flat tires are doin the trick with my truck :hillbill:

but once i get all my mods done, i'll probably run a push button starter hidden somewheres, my dad had a bronco that had one, it got broken into, and the ignition popped, but they couldn't get it started! :bigok: love those things

CJM 09-13-2007 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner (Post 50615365)
So everytime you start your truck you have to hit your switches right?

Pretty much if you shut them off. Could just get the removable steering wheel though.

I personally pull the EFI fuse, simple and effective.

Kaleb 09-13-2007 07:44 PM

One of my buddies has a headphone jack right below his ignition. He uses a headphone plug as a key which completes his fuel pump circuit. I thought that was pretty cool. I might do that sometime down the road.

KevinInSac 09-13-2007 07:45 PM

Alarm with an iginition kill works for me. Truck's been parked out front for eight or so months. The Camry that used to be in it's place was broken into 4 times in 3 years. Nothing was ever stolen though, just busted locks.

1eye 09-13-2007 07:48 PM

Shouldn't one well hidden "kill" switch be enough agains "punk thieves"? I guess that 2 switch hooked in series would be very hard to defeat as they cycled there way thru all your driving light and accessorys. What are your guys thoughts on "types" of kill switchs.
Do you guys like the style that kill it dead/wouldn't let it start at all, or one that lets vehicle start {making them thinking there going to get away} and then it dies after a few seconds in a conspicuous spot or position?