General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Thank You, Toyota, for the warrantied ECM/ECU (99 4Runner)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thank You, Toyota, for the warrantied ECM/ECU (99 4Runner)

For the last couple years, I've had one transponder key for my 1999 4Runner Limited. The rest were lost over the years. Despite my one remaining key being cut as a master key (black head, extra grooves on the key shank), my 4Runner recognized it as a valet key. I purchased two new master keys and had them cut, then spent several hours of my own time trying to program the replacement keys, as did a local dealership; no one was successful.

A couple months ago I contacted Toyota USA's customer support department and explained my situation. They confirmed I qualified for a replacement ECM under warranty (Toyota calls this the "ECM Replacement Program"). My new ECM arrived at the dealership yesterday and was installed today in just over an hour. Not only was this a quick and painless process, it only cost me $150 (labor for the ECM swap and program new keys).

THANK YOU, TOYOTA! I feel so much better now that I have spare keys.

To qualify for the ECM Replacement Program, you must have lost all your transponder keys or only have a valet key. Why? Because without a master transponder key, you cannot program replacement keys on a handful of Toyota vehicles. This was a major flaw in the design of the ECM, which I believe is what lead to the creation of this program. This design flaw was more or less fixed when Toyota introduced an ECM that could be flashed.

How do you know if you have a master or valet transponder key? Don't let the color of the key head fool you! As a general rule of thumb, master keys have a black head while valet keys have a grey head. Master keys will also unlock the glove box and trunk, while valet keys wont. However, on certain ECMs, just like the one in my 4Runner, it's possible to have a master key that is programmed as a valet key. I'm not entirely sure how/why this is possible, but from the research I've done, it appears that three keys can be programmed to the one ECM, two of which are masters and one of which is a valet. If you program three keys, all of which are masters (black head, opens glove box), one of them will end up being recognized by the ECM as a valet (I confirmed that tonight after I had three master keys programmed; one was selected by the ECM to be a valet). To determine if your key is a master or valet, per the ECM, insert the key into the ignition. One of three things will happen: (1) The security light will instantly turn off, indicating the key is a master; (2) The security light will turn on solid for 1-2 seconds, indicating the key is a valet; or (3) The security light will continue flashing without any interruption, indicating the key is not programmed to that vehicle (or isn't a transponder key).

I hope this information helps someone out there. It took me many hours of research, talking with different folks on the internet and at Toyota, and a bit of persistence to finally get my ECM replaced (under warranty) and new keys programmed. Sure makes me miss the days of standard keys!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Try not to lose these keys
Old 01-12-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Try not to lose these keys
One master key now stays locked away in a safe. Learned that lesson the hard way.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you know if the 02 4Runner qualifies for this program? I bought my 4Runner last year from a dealer and all they gave me was an aftermarket (axxcess+) valet key. I didn't realize that this key didn't allow me to open my glove box until it was too late! I've been meaning to go get a master key made at the dealership but @ $100+ its expensive and not exactly a priority. If they can't program a new key w/o a master key I may be SOL
Old 01-12-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mauzer
Do you know if the 02 4Runner qualifies for this program? I bought my 4Runner last year from a dealer and all they gave me was an aftermarket (axxcess+) valet key. I didn't realize that this key didn't allow me to open my glove box until it was too late! I've been meaning to go get a master key made at the dealership but @ $100+ its expensive and not exactly a priority. If they can't program a new key w/o a master key I may be SOL
Mauzer - Call Toyota USA at 800-331-4331; they'll ask for your VIN and will let you know if you qualify for the program. Regardless, you'll have to pay for the keys and programming the new ECM. Even though I received a free ECM (saved me $1000+), I still paid $150 for labor (swap ECM, program keys), and purchased the keys a year or so ago which was somewhere between $50-100 per key (eBay is much cheaper).
Old 01-13-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by catusphile
Mauzer - Call Toyota USA at 800-331-4331; they'll ask for your VIN and will let you know if you qualify for the program. Regardless, you'll have to pay for the keys and programming the new ECM. Even though I received a free ECM (saved me $1000+), I still paid $150 for labor (swap ECM, program keys), and purchased the keys a year or so ago which was somewhere between $50-100 per key (eBay is much cheaper).
Thanks for the info, I know I'll still have to pay for the keys, labor, programming, etc but I like to know my options before I deal with a stealership. That way when they tell me they can't program my new key I don't start hating Toyota or something preposterous like that.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Mauzer
Not all vehicles have the transponder keys.

If yours didn't come with the engine immobilizer (most SR5 didn't) then all you need to do is take your ID and registration to the dealer, and they will cut a new master key for a few dollars.

The reason he had to do it this way, is because he has a limited which has an engine immobilizer transponder key/immobilizer chip. Just call the dealer with your VIN, and they can tell you what you have.

Having the Axxess key tells me you do NOT have it, because the 4Runner wouldn't even start without the transponder chip in the key.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Not all vehicles have the transponder keys.

If yours didn't come with the engine immobilizer (most SR5 didn't) then all you need to do is take your ID and registration to the dealer, and they will cut a new master key for a few dollars.

The reason he had to do it this way, is because he has a limited which has an engine immobilizer transponder key/immobilizer chip. Just call the dealer with your VIN, and they can tell you what you have.

Having the Axxess key tells me you do NOT have it, because the 4Runner wouldn't even start without the transponder chip in the key.

I don't know why that didn't occur to me, thanks DC I'll just call the dealer
Old 02-11-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good info catusphile thanks for sharing

and DCougar continues to astound me with his encyclopedic knowledge of our vehicles

no offense intended at anyone- but wouldn't this info be most helpful in the 3rd gen 4Runner sub forum?
Old 01-11-2015, 10:35 AM

lost Master Key '01 T4R SR5

I have similiar problem. My 4runner was stolen and recovered 6 mo later. Thieves replaced battery last July (took back battery for replacement to Walmart and scanned original purchase date) Looks like hasnt been driven since. Wont start with jump or new battery, towed home. Discovered I had lost my Master Key just have Valet as won't open glove box. I have been to the dealer twice and they have been less than helpful perhaps since going thru major construction. I got out of the service guy "I don't have chip in my key. Went back to dealership parts dept to get new battery for remote thinking that might start car if alarm tripped.Dealership didn't say squat when I asked if they knew if I had a master key...So before I get ripped off at dealership just want to understand if I have an Access key and no chip I should be able to have them look up VIN with my ID and registration (proof of ownership) I just need a new Master cut for a few bucks?Then my truck should start once I put in the master key? On other thread they mentioned my ecm might have loss memory of key since parked for months.If so do I have to get reflashed or as Im concerned thieves have key should I just go ahead and get new ECM and keys and go thru dealership Toyota warranty with to replace? Have limited funds but dont want truck stolen again out of my driveway. Please help without wheels for the past six months now I get truck back and cant drive!!!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:03 AM

99 4Runner would not start when cold

My 99 4Runner would not start when the temperature was below 60 degrees (+/-). It would start fairly reliably above 60 deg. I found only a few similar posts but FINALLY found the cause and the solution.

The key was not being recognized by the ECU (behind the glove box). A red light that reads 'security' will continue to flash if the key isn't recognized. It will stop flashing if it IS recognized. I tried a new 'antenna ring' and amplifier first (way cheaper). Learned the original ECU was bad due to a 'cold-solder joint' I'm told. New (remanufactured) ECUs cost about $1,000 + programming so I was looking for a different solution.

1. Have the original ECU repaired. By heating the circuit board, solder can be 'reflowed'. That didn't work but cost only $100 to try.

2. Bought a used ECU off ebay. Had the unit 'flashed' (basically erases part of the memory) and matched to another key. The key was recognized but the vehicle still wouldn't start.

3. Learned through message boards like this that SOME vehicles have to be programmed as well. This is different from 'flashing'. In this case, an automotive analyzer (the RIGHT one) is used to program the VIN to the ECU. Once the ECU was recognized by the rest of the system, the vehicle started reliably at colder temperatures.

I was not as fortunate as the person that posted that Toyota offered to replace and program a new ECU. Neither the Toyota USA helper or their supervisor would offer any help although they acknowledged that they were aware of similar issues.

The Toyota dealers I called (3) almost uniformly told me they'd have to replace the ECU though one did indicate that they could try to program it but would most likely need to replaced.

Several locksmiths (3) were unable to program the ECU as well. There were lots of opinions (1. it should be plug and play - WRONG; 2. Bad 'used' ECU - WRONG; 3. 'flashing' is the same as programming - WRONG; 4. An ECU can't be reprogrammed - WRONG. This one irked me the most as it came from a Toyota service adviser)

I hope this helps somebody. Were it not for boards like this, I'd be out about $1,500.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:31 AM

99 Limited with the same issue.

Originally Posted by jlwhite129
My 99 4Runner would not start when the temperature was below 60 degrees (+/-). It would start fairly reliably above 60 deg. I found only a few similar posts but FINALLY found the cause and the solution.

The key was not being recognized by the ECU (behind the glove box). A red light that reads 'security' will continue to flash if the key isn't recognized. It will stop flashing if it IS recognized. I tried a new 'antenna ring' and amplifier first (way cheaper). Learned the original ECU was bad due to a 'cold-solder joint' I'm told. New (remanufactured) ECUs cost about $1,000 + programming so I was looking for a different solution.

1. Have the original ECU repaired. By heating the circuit board, solder can be 'reflowed'. That didn't work but cost only $100 to try.

2. Bought a used ECU off ebay. Had the unit 'flashed' (basically erases part of the memory) and matched to another key. The key was recognized but the vehicle still wouldn't start.

3. Learned through message boards like this that SOME vehicles have to be programmed as well. This is different from 'flashing'. In this case, an automotive analyzer (the RIGHT one) is used to program the VIN to the ECU. Once the ECU was recognized by the rest of the system, the vehicle started reliably at colder temperatures.

I was not as fortunate as the person that posted that Toyota offered to replace and program a new ECU. Neither the Toyota USA helper or their supervisor would offer any help although they acknowledged that they were aware of similar issues.

The Toyota dealers I called (3) almost uniformly told me they'd have to replace the ECU though one did indicate that they could try to program it but would most likely need to replaced.

Several locksmiths (3) were unable to program the ECU as well. There were lots of opinions (1. it should be plug and play - WRONG; 2. Bad 'used' ECU - WRONG; 3. 'flashing' is the same as programming - WRONG; 4. An ECU can't be reprogrammed - WRONG. This one irked me the most as it came from a Toyota service adviser)

I hope this helps somebody. Were it not for boards like this, I'd be out about $1,500.
I realize this was a long time ago so any help is appreciated. I'm looking at flagship one for a refurbished ECU. It comes programmed to my VIN from them. Do you know if they are reputable or not? Also can a locksmith program the keys to it or does a dealer have to do that? Again you post was spot on for my particular issue and I will let you know if it works. Thanks in advance.