General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Spray Painting a Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spray Painting a Truck?

OK, how good would it look if I painted my cab flat black with a high quality spray paint? Would it last a while? Im going to put an all pro offroad flat bed on it so Im thinking about going all black on my truck. any suggestions would helo, and yes im on a pretty tight budget, so.....make it cheap. Heres the truck that I want to paint.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think your avatar pic is bigger, or maybe just the same
Old 09-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 94toyota4x4
OK, how good would it look if I painted my cab flat black with a high quality spray paint? Would it last a while? Im going to put an all pro offroad flat bed on it so Im thinking about going all black on my truck. any suggestions would helo, and yes im on a pretty tight budget, so.....make it cheap. Heres the truck that I want to paint.
If you did, I bet it would look as good or better than a cheapy Maaco paint job. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:45 PM

I dont know a whole lot about paint but a hunch would be that it wouldnt work out that well, maybe sanding the paint first would help. but no matter what you could get some of the paint you would like and try in on the side of the bed and see if it will work and if you like it, if your going to put a flat bed on there anyway

ps and a bigger pic would help
Old 09-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
duplicolor makes spray cans with a "fan-spray" nozzle, much easier to use (for a whole vehicle) and better spray pattern IMO
Old 09-19-2006, 06:04 PM

even doing it with rattle can you still might want to build a paint booth. dosn't have to be an amazing booth, but from my experiences with spray paint its pretty touchy. anything would help really. and take your time if you do decide to do it that way. time=quality.

good luck if you decide to
Old 09-19-2006, 06:13 PM

Well of course im going to sand it and fix any body damage just curious if flat black wouuld look good because I know gloss is a b#%^h to make it look good, and flat black is an easy color to paint on, so maybe Ill try it during m vaction in Christmas.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:26 PM

All you can do is practice. I've rattle canned a couple of cars even a Cruiser. If you don't want it painted, remove it or cover it really well with masking tape. Prepping is the most important part of painting. Keep a steady hand. And dont over spray an area or it'll run. You can always sand it down and touch it up. And a paint booth or the likes is worth it. l
Old 09-19-2006, 07:37 PM

Im not to familier with paint terms but Im guessing a paint booth is those boxes that they paint cars in that are real clean, can I just use my garage?
Old 09-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
the paint booth is basically to keep wind away along with dirt, pollen, or anything else than can get into the paint. it also keeps your paint from going everywhere. your garage will work so long as you use some sort of oxygen supply or at least a gas mask. you don't wanna breath those fumes in a closed garage. cover anything you dont want paint on, including anything in your garage. sweep up before you paint too
Old 09-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Get some plastic sheeting to cover the floor,walls,ceiling,and doors. Just staple it up or use some 1x and a couple screws to hold it up. Makes clean up easier and keeps the dust and dirt down.If you have a side door use cardboard, some filters,and a fan to push out the fumes. make sure you get a respirator, or your head will want to be removed to get a way from the headache you will have.

If your state has some cool laws about doing stuff like this you might want to take care there also.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:59 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can buy replacement fan style heads for spray cans, I get mine here-may not work on all cans though http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...UMA-HYDE%7e+II
Old 09-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

On the state law thing, i just looked up after my last post and relized your a neighbor.

Dont get caught doing it.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

i have been painting high-end houses for years, so i dont know if i would listen to someone (punkotheclown) who doesnt know alot about paint.
i was kinda thinking about doing the samething to my truck. more so to see if it can be done and look half way good!
like said before, prepping is the most important part of painting.
a paint booth would be any kinda shelter that would keep out the unwanted foreign things from your truck and paint; (dust, leaves, bugs, neighborhood punk kids) you can use your garage, just plan on getting overspray on EVERTHING! cover up anything you dont want paint on, floors, tools, dogs. and spend extra time on taping off your actual vehicle. another thing is maybe putting a box fan in a window exhausting the fumes and overspray outside. if you are concerned about the excess paint going out, just go get a furnace filter for a dollar and throw it on the fan. just as mentioned before, prepping is the important step. Do things once the right way is what i like to live by.
also, are you dead set on flat?? its just my personal preferance, i hate flat. they do make a finish between flat and gloss, its called semi-gloss, and below that is satin. i would prefer the satin if i had to rattle can my truck.
I know you can find a good rattle can to do the job, but you are not limited to that. You are in cali. i believe you have Kwal-Howell Paint Stores there, you can go get any kinda paint you want and take it to them and have them put it in an aeresol can for ya for not too much. but for what its worth, a good brand of rattle can should work just fine. also get yourself a "trigger" for the can, they are only like 3 bucks, trust me, it will be worth getting one!
good luck and let us know how it turns out, and take some pics!
Old 09-19-2006, 08:44 PM

Yeah the trigger thing would be a good idea. You can pick up paint tips where ever you buy paint at. Clear plastic drop cloths can be had for a couple of dollars at the hardware store. I reccomend Either Krylon or Ace Hardware premium. just my opinion, I do like the way flat paint looks. I've never tried the satin though.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:55 PM

Thanks for all your advice guys, Im thinking about that semi gloss could you give me a picture of what it looks like? I guess its illegal to paint in my garage but Ill have to find out how to do it not illegally, and from what I hear prep is the most important so I'll keep that in mind, and if anyone has a rattle can truck could you show it, so I can see how it looks, and is there any suggestions on color, because black wouldn't be the best, bevause I live in the deset and it destroies black cars, and what would stay clean if you know aht I mena, thanks once again.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 94toyota4x4
Thanks for all your advice guys, Im thinking about that semi gloss could you give me a picture of what it looks like?

next time youre at a store that carries paint, wal-mart, home depot, where ever.... just check out the paint department, and look at their paints at the different sheens. even the house paints. it will give you a better idea of what the difference between a gloss and a semi gloss and a satin and a flat are. now im not saying it will be exactly the same sheen youre looking for or end up getting, but you will get the jist of it.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:41 PM

cool thanks
Old 10-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Contributing Member

sooo.... hows it coming??
Old 10-03-2006, 10:56 PM

i know this may seem obvious or late but if you have a water heater or any thing that may make a spark or flame in your garage turn it off.

Quick Reply: Spray Painting a Truck?