General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Is something missing in this pic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is something missing in this pic?

Hi all,

so I was under my new to me truck, 82 pickup, and where the trans mounts up it just seems to me that there are 4 places where bolts should be that are not there???
seems strange but if I squeeze that connection point the thin "plate" moves a bit too.
the pics always load upside down on this forum for me, but you can see the 4 open holes in talking about.

thanks for the help!!
Attached Thumbnails Is something missing in this pic?-20180109_125221.jpg  

Last edited by 95yoda; 01-09-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:16 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
There are two brackets that bolt to each side of the block and to the lower part of the bell housing. Many never get reinstalled after being removed. Some vehicles never actually had them. if you want to source some of them for added piece of mind you can but its not necessary. Many people run without the brackets, including myself, and have had no problems. Don't sweat it.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kolton5543
There are two brackets that bolt to each side of the block and to the lower part of the bell housing. Many never get reinstalled after being removed. Some vehicles never actually had them. if you want to source some of them for added piece of mind you can but its not necessary. Many people run without the brackets, including myself, and have had no problems. Don't sweat it.
thank You! Why do you run without them? So it's the brackets that mount to those 4 holes?
Old 01-10-2018, 09:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
seen many a truck without those. Never heard any problems from not having them. Most likely someone did the clutch or motor swap and didn't put them back on. I don't suspect they are missing for any specific reason other than being lazy or loosing them. I doubt any rock crawlers worry about those brackets hanging up on rocks. I may be wrong?
Old 01-10-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Even if some trucks were sold from the dealer without them, it's hard to believe they'd leave the bell housing bolts out.

I've never a photo for proof, but it's said repeatedly on yotatech that without those brackets, the block is at greater risk of cracking. Maybe that's only true if all the bellhousing bolts are installed without the brackets? Anyone know?
Old 01-10-2018, 10:14 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by gsp4life
Even if some trucks were sold from the dealer without them, it's hard to believe they'd leave the bell housing bolts out.

I've never a photo for proof, but it's said repeatedly on yotatech that without those brackets, the block is at greater risk of cracking. Maybe that's only true if all the bellhousing bolts are installed without the brackets? Anyone know?
The bell housing bolts attach to the bracket. Without the bracket the bolts have nothing to attach to. I would expect to break the aluminum bell housing before breaking the block.

Originally Posted by 95yoda
thank You! Why do you run without them? So it's the brackets that mount to those 4 holes?

I personally run without them because I did a 3.4 swap and the mounting bosses on the block didn't line up with my 3.0 brackets. The 3.4 originally came from an auto truck and never actually had them.

Quick Reply: Is something missing in this pic?