General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

size fuse for power seats (3rd gen)??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
size fuse for power seats (3rd gen)??

does anyone know what size fuse i need to put inline to wire up factory power seats? i need to know so i can tap into the appropriate source, or so that i can direct wire it with an inline fuse.

thanks!
Old 04-20-2006, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's 30A, that's for an 01 4Runner btw.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:17 AM

perfect! i appreciate your help! looks like i am off to find a 30amp power source.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:37 AM

anyone know if these power seats are self grounding? they had the load sensor wiring (power and ground), but that power wire was super tiny! i am thinking that they only need power supplied and no ground to run just the seats...no?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

The wiring diagram shows the switches being grounded. I can send you the diagram from an 01 if you want, it might be similar to yours. If you want it let me have an email address.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:03 AM

that would be awesome! do you happen to know what size circuit the power windows run on?

my email is brian dot flooks at gmail dot com.

thanks!
Old 04-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Power windows are 30A as well. I'll try sending the wiring diagram from here at work but if it doesn't go through due to the size limit on our system I'll send it tonight when I get home.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:11 AM

excellent!
i will probably tap in to those, as that is how they were added in to the truck that i took them from. i just need to figure out what wires they are. thank you!
Old 04-22-2006, 05:17 PM

for anyone who has to install power seats in to a none power seat equiped 4runner...

after looking at the wiring for a similar truck (3rd gen), i realized that the color descriptions in them were not very helpful.

in order to wire up the seats, you need to find a 30amp circuit to run them with. fortunately, the power windows run on a 30amp circuit. if you remove the trim panels on the floor, you will see 2 wire harnesses. look for the harness that splits off into the rear door. there should be 6 wires. the one you are concerned with is the blue/red wire (mostly blue with red stripe). if you probe this with the voltmeter, you will see that this is the ignition controlled constant source for the power windows. tap into this wire to run your seats. nice and easy, hidden, and just a simple splice rather than wiring in a new fuse and running large amounts of wiring. you will also need a 3 pronged plug to go into the seat, and you are on your own with that, as my seats were previously installed in a truck that had that plug added.

hope this helps with the search.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by bflooks
for anyone who has to install power seats in to a none power seat equiped 4runner...

after looking at the wiring for a similar truck (3rd gen), i realized that the color descriptions in them were not very helpful.

in order to wire up the seats, you need to find a 30amp circuit to run them with. fortunately, the power windows run on a 30amp circuit. if you remove the trim panels on the floor, you will see 2 wire harnesses. look for the harness that splits off into the rear door. there should be 6 wires. the one you are concerned with is the blue/red wire (mostly blue with red stripe). if you probe this with the voltmeter, you will see that this is the ignition controlled constant source for the power windows. tap into this wire to run your seats. nice and easy, hidden, and just a simple splice rather than wiring in a new fuse and running large amounts of wiring. you will also need a 3 pronged plug to go into the seat, and you are on your own with that, as my seats were previously installed in a truck that had that plug added.

hope this helps with the search.

This worked really slick on my 99 SR5. Sorry I don't have pics but all I did was cut the 3 pin plug off at the seats and installed bullet (female) connectors on to them. Then at the truck I clipped the 2 pin connector and installed the male bullet connectors. I then spliced in to the blue w/ red stripe window power wire and put a male bullet connector on that. Installed the seats matched up and plugged in the bullet connectors.....done and done.....same for driver and passenger side. Works flawlessly.