General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Should I buy this 1996 Toyota Corolla as my first car ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy this 1996 Toyota Corolla as my first car ?

Hello everyone,

Hi,

Little bit of background so y'all can actually make some points of why or why not to buy this car So I'm a 20yo boy who's just finishing his driving license, I actually really like cars and i would take a good care of mine, but at the same time i don't know much about the technicality of them. Long story short I know plenty of models/types/types of engines and I like them going fast. I think that I know what I would like to change about this one but don't really know how. I live in Prague, kind of a big city with a lot of traffic. I would probably daily drive the car to work and back.

The car costs 27000CZK that is about 1,200USD

I will now translate the description of the car in the link: on sale, Toyota Corolla, 1,6 GLi 16V, y. of production. 1996 , engine type 4A-FE gas/84 kW, wine metallic, 118893 km "mile-metter warranty". Technical control till 09/2020, VIN : JT153AEA100153242 , ECO payed, never crashed, bought in Czech second owner, manual climatization, elect. windows, el. managable heated mirrors, central control, 2 x kesy, alarm, autoradio + CD, adjustable seat + steeringwheel, stiff suspension ,interior in a great shape, alu wheels + winter aswell, engine in a 100% great shape, everything in a great condition and working,

I'll appreciate every comment or advice.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Not sure what the market, rules, or anything else is like in your country, but just in general.

Price seems reasonable for a decent to good condition Corolla. If you have any mechanic friends have them look at it with you and look for any major issues. Google tips for buying a used car. A car like a Corolla is a good first car. They are generally reliable, easy to work on and learn, and cheap. Your taste in cars might change so don't worry about buying the perfect car as your first car.

Welcome to Yotatech. This forum is more geared towards Toyota 4x4 trucks. If you have some questions more specific about Corollas you'll probably have better luck on a Corolla forum.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
x2 on what Arlindsay1992 said.

Toyota Corollas are great cars, and the 4A-FE engine is a great, reliable engine.

If you know someone who is knowledgeable about cars, have them look it over and see if there is anything wrong or will need to be fixed in the near future.

Do you know how well the car was taken care of?

Even the best, most reliable cars can be a bad used car if the previous owners did not take care of it.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:15 AM

Received 833 Likes on 558 Posts
The longevity of Corollas is well known. I put about 275k miles on my own '97. But I would consider a couple more data points first.
Are parts for this vintage of Corolla easy to get in Prague?
Are there newer Corolla's available for the same or slightly more money?
Do you know the seller or the history of this car? That can save you a bunch if you can verify certain periodic maintenance issues have been covered.
Expect about 34 mpg highway and maybe high 20's city. Mine was slightly worse in winter.