General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Transmission experts HELP! Matrix related

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission experts HELP! Matrix related

My daughters 09 Matrix had a issue where the Auto transmission seemed to not want to go into gear, She let it cool, then it drove OK. we took it to a local general shop where they changed the fluid and filter. We found fragments of metal in the pan. (magnetic so it is steel). See pic...

Any ideas of what broke? It is driving OK now, There is no gear noise or leaks, but it worries me that it could strand her.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:53 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Chunks breed other chunks. Tick, tick, tick.....

If a tranny shop man is not familiar enough with this type of chunks in this type of tranny to tell you what component is failing, who can.???

I wouldn't take it too far from home. How many miles on it??? Any history of abuse?
Old 05-10-2019, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has about 120k miles on it. My daughter drives conservatively but drives a long stop and go commute. She bought it used. Originally it was a leased fleet car.

The shop we took it to was the closest to the break down. It was just general service with no Toyota or transmission specific expertise. Before i take it to a tranny shop i kinda like to know what we are in for so we don't get taken. I figure it will be a $3k repair anyway....
Old 05-10-2019, 05:24 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Good luck to you. Tranny shop work is a crap-shoot at best.

. No matter how experienced, they're always trying to get to the next job over the top of yours.

A new or rebuilt torque converter is a MUST.

If you have the time, space, and patience to do meticulous, detailed work, it certainly is possible to rebuild auto trannies yourself.

Parts are usually very reasonable; with most costs in labor.

Many times the 'special tools' can be improvised, or fabricated.

I have successfully built several auto trannies and auto transaxles for myself with good, long lasting results, but I would never chose to do this work every day.
The following 2 users liked this post by millball:
Mirage88 (05-22-2019), SomedayJ (05-10-2019)