General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Rear locker

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear locker

I have an old '84 toyota pickup. It has around 208k on the motor and is stock. Besides I put a glass pack on it cuz the original muffler fell off and a glass pack was only $30. It is just used as a ranch pick up. Basically hauls hay, used to irrigate, not much. Planning on making a flat bed for it this summer. Its just a general 5 speed 4x4 and I was wondering about how hard a locker would be to install in the rear. I drive through a lot of muddy fields and everything and hate getting out to lock the from hubs. Plus in the winter feeding, a locker would be nice. Also along with this, I was wondering if there is any sort of gear splitter out there. I live in the hills and absolutely hate going up hill wrapped out in 3rd and only going about 45. I got an f350 with a gear vendors splitter in it and I love it. Its nice for hauling, and for overall driving in general. I would really want it to just split the gear ratio between 3rd and 4th in my toyota. Also fro driving around in fields, it would be nice to have a gear such as like 1st and a half. I have just never found anything really on the subject of a splitter.
Any thing is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
I'm not aware of any gear splitter available for these trucks.

On the rear locker though, lots of options. You can get a "lunchbox" locker for around $250 that you pull the third member and replace your spider gears with. Spartan, Aussie, and Lokka are a couple of the choices.