General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Need help deciding to sell or not

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 01:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Need help deciding to sell or not

Im making this thread because i need opinions. Currently have a 89 pickup ive been working on/restoring. I really like the truck, but a newer tacoma has come up for sale and i dont know if i should sell mine in order to buy it of just keep mine. the new truck has modifications i would like to do to mine already and its for sale at a good price. Heres photos and what ive come up with as far as pros and cons

My truck currently

The new truck

pros of newer truck over mine
lower miles
factory rear locker
arb bumper and winch
airbags?
v6 power

Cons of new truck
Automatic
Is an 03 so might have frame issues
ad says frame is good and was checked by toyota twice.
needs tires, but so does mine. '
needs cv axle boots.

what would you do? sell of keep?
Old 11-17-2018, 09:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
First, there isn't any info on yours in your sig line so we don't know much about it.

Then, what could you reasonably get for yours vs. price of the newer one.
And, while you may be getting rid of any "problems" your current truck has - you at least know what they are. With another truck you won't know what you don't know until the deal is done. Personally I like knowing where my truck may be problematic - I can plan for those things.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
First, there isn't any info on yours in your sig line so we don't know much about it.

Then, what could you reasonably get for yours vs. price of the newer one.
And, while you may be getting rid of any "problems" your current truck has - you at least know what they are. With another truck you won't know what you don't know until the deal is done. Personally I like knowing where my truck may be problematic - I can plan for those things.

Apologize for not listing any info on mine for some reason didnt think about that. Its a 22re 262k rust free. Highlights would be top end rebuilt, New paint, Brand new marlin clutch, OME shocks. a whole skew of new parts.
Cons of my truck currently/ Things i need to fix
Front diff.ring gear chewed a couple teeth
some minor mods like finishing a center counsel for guages
rear e brake cable

Future mods that i would like to do
New torsion bars/ Leafs
Locker in rear
Bumpers and winch
probably around $3000 +/-

Dream mod would be a motor swap.

Prices
The guy is asking 6500 for the tacoma has 123k miles
If i was realistic with the price for mine i would ask 5 but probably wouldnt get that.

I guess my biggest concern is the frame. Hate to sell my truck and a couple years later have isses with the new one roting. It was a SoCal truck so it didnt qualify for the recall

Old 11-18-2018, 07:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like you already have a decent investment in your current truck, but it needs work that may draw down the sale price, specifically the "Front diff.ring gear chewed a couple teeth". Another thing, with your truck having nearly 300k have you checked it's compression lately? Also re its value we don't know where you are - the location on your profile just says "the region", which tells us nothing. Prices on Toyota trucks seem to vary notably from state to state.