General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Is it me or did Toyota ruin the 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedy
I agree with that statement. But shouldn't an 8 year newer vehicle offer more than my 3rd gen?

5th gen = ipod hookup
my 3rd gen = aftermarket stereo with ipod hookup

5th gen = locking rear diff
my 3rd gen = True Trac rear diff

5th gen= 270HP
my 3rd gen = 300HP

I need a reason to upgrade...so far I haven't found one.

I'll be curious to see what the salesman suggests when we compare my 3rd gen to their 5th gen when I go for a test drive.
I hate to say it but you answered your own question here speedy. The new truck already has on it what you had to add to your old truck to make it what you want. The only thing you mentioned that is better on your truck is 30hp. Well that 30hp comes with a price. The S/C requires premium fuel, and more TLC. The N/A motor will take whatever fuel you choose to put in it and you can flog it until the cows come home and it won't skip a beat. Any boosted engine requires tip-top care and maintenance. Also, just wait until URD comes out with an S/C for the new motor...
Old 02-11-2010, 07:10 AM

Talking Trade Up Time

Here, Toyota makes your vehicle, trade up. $26,000 sticker, can be supercharged, a hell of a lot sportier than a 4runner, can carry a whole bunch of dogs.

Then you can sell that Charger too.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:11 AM

Are you serious? You really can't see why comparing a modified vehicle to a stock one is ridiculous? Ok, take your new muscle car, for instance. For a fraction of the cost, you could have bought an old 5.0, slapped on a FI, and will blow the doors off of that thing. Sounds ridiculous, right? Which takes me to the second point, you bought the 4Runner used. How are you comparing the cost of a USED vehicle to a new one? Like X-AWD already mentioned, the numbers are about the same. Factor in inflation, the new ones cost LESS than the older ones.

Compare apples to apples, please.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by turboale
I hate to say it but you answered your own question here speedy. The new truck already has on it what you had to add to your old truck to make it what you want. The only thing you mentioned that is better on your truck is 30hp. Well that 30hp comes with a price. The S/C requires premium fuel, and more TLC. The N/A motor will take whatever fuel you choose to put in it and you can flog it until the cows come home and it won't skip a beat. Any boosted engine requires tip-top care and maintenance. Also, just wait until URD comes out with an S/C for the new motor...
But remember, the new 4Runner is not only 30HP down, it also weighs 600 lbs more, so it's a lot more than just 30HP less peppy. I am anxious to see what URD comes up with though!

Originally Posted by SafariRNR
Here, Toyota makes your vehicle, trade up. $26,000 sticker, can be supercharged, a hell of a lot sportier than a 4runner, can carry a whole bunch of dogs.

Then you can sell that Charger too.
But then I can't load up 4 friends and go camping with the dog!

Originally Posted by cackalak han
Are you serious? You really can't see why comparing a modified vehicle to a stock one is ridiculous? Ok, take your new muscle car, for instance. For a fraction of the cost, you could have bought an old 5.0, slapped on a FI, and will blow the doors off of that thing. Sounds ridiculous, right? Which takes me to the second point, you bought the 4Runner used. How are you comparing the cost of a USED vehicle to a new one? Like X-AWD already mentioned, the numbers are about the same. Factor in inflation, the new ones cost LESS than the older ones.

Compare apples to apples, please.
Hey don't hate o'l Speedy for chasing down a good deal haha.

The "old" 5.0 isn't all that, so I'd not have gone that route. There are cheaper cars to modify but they don't have the killer looks of the Challenger

If the new 4Runner looked more like a masculine muscular beast I'd have less issue with it's performance. However, it just looks like pug nosed shoe box and put on 600 lbs.

I'm about the show as much as I am about the go.

Once URD gets their hands on one of the 5th gens and pumps it up to 400HP I won't have as much room to argue my point I'm sure.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:31 AM

I'm wondering how hard it would be to fit the already available superchargers for the 4.0L (Tacoma/FJC) into the new 5th gen. I'm sure they're already hard at work as we speak, and you'll get your 500hp beast in no time.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:35 AM

It frustrating when I go to my visit my daughter in Paraguay and see all the Toyotas I’d really like to have.

V8 makes no difference to me; I’d rather have a diesel anyway. As for the Gen 5, I’m not impressed with the looks but then again that doesn’t tell the entire story. In any event if I get rid of my 97 it won’t be for an 2010, I was thinking maybe …… a 99!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if some of those on here got a new 4Runner i dont see them wheeling it very much due to it being a new vehicle and it still has a lot of value as well as people do not fully own them outright. Who is going to take a BRAND NEW 2010 vehicle that was 35K and go beat the piss out of it? Riddle me that..

True. Most people don't own anything outright anymore - this is why the U.S. is in such trouble. No real dollars exist anymore - everyone buys everything with credit - as very few actually have the funds available at the time of purchase, thus contributing to an ever increasing current accounts defecit, decline in real value of the currency and a consumer happy - ignorant population. Hows that for a rant!?

If the dollars aren't in your hands.... don't even think about buying it. Thanks U.S. for screwing the world economy over and over and over...
Old 07-13-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 8622rtec
Even if some of those on here got a new 4Runner i dont see them wheeling it very much due to it being a new vehicle and it still has a lot of value as well as people do not fully own them outright. Who is going to take a BRAND NEW 2010 vehicle that was 35K and go beat the piss out of it? Riddle me that..

True. Most people don't own anything outright anymore - this is why the U.S. is in such trouble. No real dollars exist anymore - everyone buys everything with credit - as very few actually have the funds available at the time of purchase, thus contributing to an ever increasing current accounts defecit, decline in real value of the currency and a consumer happy - ignorant population. Hows that for a rant!?

If the dollars aren't in your hands.... don't even think about buying it. Thanks U.S. for screwing the world economy over and over and over...
I agree, however I also think NAFTA was one of the intial big blows to the US economy. It just takes a few years to realize the consequences of a stuff like that. If we didn't outsource everything to be made in China and assembled in Canada and Mexico, then we would have jobs. Thank Billary for that one!
Old 07-18-2010, 06:04 AM

I don't enjoy the 5th gen 4R at all. Approximately 45k for an SR5 up here in Canada, too expensive imo.

The loss of the removable top in the 1 to 2 gen evolution was a bummer, same with the IFS swap but people like us are the minority.

I'd buy another 2nd gen any day of the week, preferably with the 22-RE, over any 4th gen and higher. Actually if my '91 dies I would probably replace it with a Double Cab Hilux.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by 99blackSE
I don't enjoy the 5th gen 4R at all. Approximately 45k for an SR5 up here in Canada, too expensive imo.

The loss of the removable top in the 1 to 2 gen evolution was a bummer, same with the IFS swap but people like us are the minority.

I'd buy another 2nd gen any day of the week, preferably with the 22-RE, over any 4th gen and higher. Actually if my '91 dies I would probably replace it with a Double Cab Hilux.
I agree with you on 5th Gen., but would argue on 3rd and 4th Gen. I have 4th Gen built and my wife has 3rd Gen. Those are very capable machines, especially my 4th Gen locked with full armor and 35s.

Last edited by AlexJet; 07-18-2010 at 07:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Is it me or did Toyota ruin the 4Runner?