General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Is it me or did Toyota ruin the 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to admit, even though I wasn't impressed at 1st, it's kinda growing on me. That Trail Edition above looks awesome to me. I too wish Toyota would make less toddler shuttles and more trail beasts, but I have my doubts that will ever happen.

The FJ is the closest thing to that and IMO is an awesome 4X4. It's over-built, has a great wheelbase, offered in 5 speed and full-time 4WD, comes with a locker and traction control as options, water resistant undercarriage, air intake located high for water crossings, etc. If it had a removable top and a SFA I would venture to say it would be the best 4X4 ever made. Even the way it is, I would take an FJ over a gutless "minivan powered" Wrangler Rubicon any day. The removable top and solid axle on the Jeeps just don't outwiegh the fact that the new ones are built like absolute crap from the ultra-thin body panels to the ridiculously slow V6 that replaced the good 'ol inline 6 that was a great workhorse for so many years. I think Toyota probably felt that the new 4runner is probably a good middle ground between the FJ and say a Highlander.

All that said, wait till the aftermarket parts start showing up for the 5th gen. I'm sure they will be every bit as good off road as the 3rd gens are as soon as lifts and lockers start becoming available. Maybe even best gen yet since they have the looks and the power!

Last edited by brian2sun; 02-04-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:01 PM

The 4th gen never did anything for me.

I like the 5th gen. It does look low and the nose is very low.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes i agree they def ruined the runner. and alexjet... that makes me want a 4th gen. your runner is sexier than a box of cornflakes. any ways just look at it this way for the 5th gen, you could trim the fenders with a plastic blade, or even a butter knife, and good lookin rich soccer moms will probably be the majority drivin them.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'nuff said.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this thread is the first time ive seen a modded 4th gen. and they look great. guess ive never really had the urge to look. teh 4th gens do lok nice, bu tnothin to write home about IMO.. and yes if i would go out and buy one, im not gonna wheel it because its a brand new vehicle. but still id take a 1st 2nd or 3rd gen over them anytime.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by LINY4Runner

'nuff said.
See, now that's badass.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:30 PM

Check out the vids (there are a few)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-TD600rHJM
Old 02-04-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by WEINERDOGBONE
I've actually looked at the 2010 4 Runner and it's a beauty. The 4.0 V6 is pushing about 270hp. I can't really see why you'd need a supercharger.

My 3.4 is closer to 190 hp thus the need for a supercharger if you really want some grunt. IMHO, the new 4Runner is a return back to the earlier versions of the vehicle. Most reviews that I've read say so too.

To each his own but, I think it's a cool vehicle.
I guess my biggest problem with the newer ones is how BIG they are.

270HP from a V6 is REALLY good. The problem is that that new 5th gen SR5 weighs 4600lbs!!!! That's ridiculous for a 4Runner. The Trail Edition is over 4700 pounds, it's gonna need more than 270HP. My 3rd gen weighs 4,000 lbs but with the blower has about the same horse power as a Mustang GT.

190HP wasn't enough on the 3rd gen. The supercharger more than solved that problem and was an option for those of us willing to solve it.

400HP would be good for that amount of weight, with torque to go along with it. Unless Toyota offers the 5.7L in the 5th gen next year, it's gonna take a blower to fix the issue. You'd get better fuel economy to boot as it'll take less throttle to get it going.

I personally think the 5th gen is ugly as sin, but that's personal taste and has no real bearing on the discussion since it's opinion.

Facts are facts though. I've always been kind of a performance oriented guy and mod up all my cars. My 2009 Challenger weighs 4000 lbs, but it's got 400HP/tq and will do 0-60 in about 5 seconds.

Like I said, Toyota has PLENTY of vehicles to fulfill the soccer mom's needs. Let the 4Runner be more like the FJ.

The FJ is a VERY nice off roader for those that like that "style" of vehicle. Personally, I had my hopes up so high for a 1978 FJ look alike that I was really let down when the new model was introduced, and I guess I just never got over it. It just doesn't appeal to me.

If Toyota really wanted to produce an all around kick butt off roader they could. Resurrect the old FJ40 body, put solid axles on it. Minimalistic interior, and a powerful motor, and make it easy to modify. The enthusiasts would have something to gravitate toward rather than trying to hang on to 10, 20, or even 30 year old vehicles.

Last edited by Speedy; 02-04-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what the hell is that on the hood of that 5th gen!?? lmao is that a "sport hood" wtf hahahahahahahaha

and 400hp out of a toyota SUV..you're REALLY dreaming hahahahahaha i'm suprised it has 270hp LMAO
Old 02-04-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Speedy
I guess my biggest problem with the newer ones is how BIG they are.
Actually, if you look up the dimensions, it's virtually the same as the 4th gen. EVERY measurement is within an inch of the 4th gen's dimensions.
I think it's the shape that makes it FEEL bigger.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
what the hell is that on the hood of that 5th gen!?? lmao is that a "sport hood" wtf hahahahahahahaha

and 400hp out of a toyota SUV..you're REALLY dreaming hahahahahaha i'm suprised it has 270hp LMAO
With the 5.7L in the Sequoia and the TRD blower you get 504HP and 550TQ. I guess it's a pretty good dream eh?

Originally Posted by LINY4Runner
Actually, if you look up the dimensions, it's virtually the same as the 4th gen. EVERY measurement is within an inch of the 4th gen's dimensions.
I think it's the shape that makes it FEEL bigger.
I didn't realize that. However, I felt the 4th gen was too big as well, which is why I bought my 02' model after test driving the then new 2003 4Runner. That 5th gen sure does look like it's a lot bigger though. Must be the shape like you say.

After all this discussion I guess I need to go test drive one so that I can speak intelligently on how the 5th gen "feels" to drive rather than how big it looks.

Last edited by Speedy; 02-04-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 PM

I did a test drive of a 5th Gen just to see what the fuss is about. It was a pretty nice SR5 w/ leather seats. Compared to my 3rd Gen, it was far larger. It felt bigger than the 4th Gen, too. Most OK to drive, though I just did a in town drive w/ a bit of a highway run.

The power is pretty decent. You can feel the torque on acceleration, but it's no sports car. Given the weight of the vehicle, it felt stronger than my 3rd Gen, but only marginally so.

As wide as the 5th Gen is, it will have some trouble in narrower trail spots. Overall, I felt favorable to it with one exception. Both the headlight and taillight lenses stick out at each corner. It's like it's just asking to get scratched, dinged, or crushed.

I definitely feel good about my 3rd Gen, but can also see where the 5th Gen is superior to the 4th Gen. Unfortunately they aren't making more 3rd Gens but I also see no competition from other car makers in this category. With some aftermarket support, this could be a pretty good future used car purchase.

I'm giving it a thumbs up, but not jumping on a bandwagon to go get one.

MadCityRich
Old 02-04-2010, 07:07 PM

Toyota really needs to start providing a diesel and manual trans option to the US market, the rest of the world gets to enjoy so many diesel/manual combinations.

Last edited by canterm; 02-04-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:32 PM

So basically the new FJ cruiser had sex with a 2nd gen. 4Runner and gave birth to the 2010 4R.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 PM

TuRD never supported the 3.4 supercharger...

Yes, I ran the TuRD supercharger for 55,000 pinging miles. URD supported the supercharger, TuRD didn't.

I had TuRD buy the supercharger back along with the boost gauge. I also had them pay to have my A pillar molding replaced, my plugs returned to stock plugs (from the colder Denso Iridiums they recommended), and the thermostat returned to stock (from the TuRD colder thermostat they recommended). The nose cone leaked its oil all over my engine. When I called TuRD, they told me it was normal. 20K miles later when the supercharger started rattling really loud, I had them buy it back. It was either that or have them replace it and then do all of the fuel mods.

I happen to like the new 4Runner. My wife's all for getting one. I'm the holdout since I can't see spending that much money just so we can beat it up like we do our current 4Runner.

As far as SUV sales - sales of SUV's and trucks took a nosedive when gasoline hit record highs in 2008. Sales of all vehicles took a nose dive right after that when the economy went south. I think the stats are accurate, but the correlation to the 4Runner's design is faulty...

Steve.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by ThePretender
Yes, I ran the TuRD supercharger for 55,000 pinging miles. URD supported the supercharger, TuRD didn't.

I had TuRD buy the supercharger back along with the boost gauge. I also had them pay to have my A pillar molding replaced, my plugs returned to stock plugs (from the colder Denso Iridiums they recommended), and the thermostat returned to stock (from the TuRD colder thermostat they recommended). The nose cone leaked its oil all over my engine. When I called TuRD, they told me it was normal. 20K miles later when the supercharger started rattling really loud, I had them buy it back. It was either that or have them replace it and then do all of the fuel mods.

I happen to like the new 4Runner. My wife's all for getting one. I'm the holdout since I can't see spending that much money just so we can beat it up like we do our current 4Runner.

As far as SUV sales - sales of SUV's and trucks took a nosedive when gasoline hit record highs in 2008. Sales of all vehicles took a nose dive right after that when the economy went south. I think the stats are accurate, but the correlation to the 4Runner's design is faulty...

Steve.
Interesting. I've had no one single inkling of a problem from my TRD Supercharged 4Runner. However I did do all the research, installed it myself and did the proper URD fuel upgrades and gauges. I've LOVED it and feel this is how much power it SHOULD have had.

You make a good point about the sales figures. However, I did find numbers on vehicles like the Chevy Traverse that were much higher (~60K sold) vs. the 4Runner. However, the Traverse is a new design, so that could have something to do with it.

Once thing I will say..and historically I've been a die hard Toyota fan, but my 2009 Challenger is much better made from what I've found so far. I'm pretty shocked really, but when I took the interior out of it to install a Hurst short throw shifter the interior panels were much higher quality than those in my 4Runner.

Maybe it's because it's 7 years newer technology creating the molds?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:19 AM

I just realised that no matter what Toyota did or will do with 4Runner, there will be plenty of guys like myself and others who will cut, grind, weld and will make them very capable off-roading. This passion is not going to disapear...
Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM

Unfortunately for toyota they released the 4runner at the worst possible time. I don't think alot of people are gonna be buying toyota's this year due to the massive recalls...
Old 02-05-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by g_cali
Unfortunately for toyota they released the 4runner at the worst possible time. I don't think alot of people are gonna be buying toyota's this year due to the massive recalls...
On the flip side, Toyota may be desperate for sales and make prices hard to pass up.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by g_cali
People have to understand that recall is not for Toyota itself (even if they used sub-contractor for parts), but for CTS gas pedals installed, which supplies US and Canadian Toyota and other factories. Honda, Nissan and Mazda also using CTS and there is a big chance they are recalling too (I've heard rumors), but without making huge public announcement.
Toyota's build in Japan have Denso pedals and are safe. 4Runner is build in Japan.
Sub-contractors sometimes going towards quantity vs. quality.

Last edited by AlexJet; 02-05-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Is it me or did Toyota ruin the 4Runner?