General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Looking for recommendations on products remove old undercoat

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for recommendations on products remove old undercoat

As the title says I'm looking for a product that can be used to remove old dried up undercoating off of the frame on my 84, I plan on stripping it down and re coating everything, I've seen some products out there just wandering if any of yall have had any luck with a specific product, thanks in advance!
Old 09-25-2016, 07:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jzoomer
As the title says I'm looking for a product that can be used to remove old dried up undercoating off of the frame on my 84, I plan on stripping it down and re coating everything, I've seen some products out there just wandering if any of yall have had any luck with a specific product, thanks in advance!
If it's so dried out that it's peeling or flaking off, I'd start with a rigid paint scrapper and wire wheel finish it.

If you already have the body off easiest would be sandblasting.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Air Hammer with a wide blade

Air gasket remover

Torch but I have to Agree Sand blasting is by far the best
Old 09-25-2016, 07:54 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts

Old 09-25-2016, 08:24 AM

I am definitely using a 5n1 scraper to chip off what I can, which covers alot of the back half however the front half of the truck has stayed so saturated with fresh oil from the timing cover seal leak the p.o. never fixed it's all rather soft in a way, sand blasting would be great as I do have the cab and bed removed but I don't have the air pressure needed nor the equipment do it at home,
and for the wire brush idea it just gets gummed up with the melted rubber product...
I may be able to use the torch idea to heat it up then scrape it off while in liquid form... wonder how much a local company would charge to sandblast a frame...
What kind of companies do that? body shops, welding and fab shops? I have no idea I've never had to look into that

I was kinda hoping for a spray on product kinda like aircraft stripper that will break it down and make it easier to scrape off or hit with the pressure washer

Last edited by Jzoomer; 09-25-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:39 AM

I was kinda hoping for a spray on product kinda like aircraft stripper that will break it down and make it easier to scrape off or hit with the pressure washer[/QUOTE]

I'd stay away from paint stripper on the frame. Reason is, it's nasty stuff that will make it's way into places you don't want it, like inside the frame. Also on a piece as big as a frame, you'll somehow get it in your eyes, ask how I know.

For small parts I've used it, but as soon as I get a sandblaster, I'll never touch paint stripper again.

A good body shop would have a sandblaster, but they're real cheap at harbor freight. You can use canvas or tarps strung up with rope as a temporary 'blasting cabinet' if that matters.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:02 PM

Maybe a blaster would be a good investment considering I still have to prep the cab doors and hood all for body work and paint may be worth my wile to hold off and invest in a decent setup to do all of the above, I'd probably just blast it out in the yard and blow the media away lol I couldn't imagine the mess I'd have to deal with if I used it inside my garage
Old 09-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
if you are gonna do it outside you might need to look into a biodegradable media like walnut shells
https://turbofuture.com/industrial/W...-Soda-Blasting
Old 09-26-2016, 01:42 AM

A after some more research I found out that a group of guys that restore older porsches have a similar product in the floor pans that is used for sound deadening. They have been using an oscillating tool sold at harbor freight and say it's an amazing tool for this job, I'm going to swing by my local hft and pick one up probably this weekend and see how that works out for $25 I'm not risking much but if it's as good as they say it is it will save me a ton of time effort and most of all leave more money for parts..
Old 09-26-2016, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jzoomer
A after some more research I found out that a group of guys that restore older porsches have a similar product in the floor pans that is used for sound deadening. They have been using an oscillating tool sold at harbor freight and say it's an amazing tool for this job, I'm going to swing by my local hft and pick one up probably this weekend and see how that works out for $25 I'm not risking much but if it's as good as they say it is it will save me a ton of time effort and most of all leave more money for parts..
I actually own one of those as a hand-me-down gift and haven't thought of a use for it yet. Thanks for the tip. Let us know how it goes!
Old 10-03-2016, 01:05 AM

Oscillating tool works great for the job!
removed about 90% of the material at least and more In some places did tthe drivers side in about 15 minutes