General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Line-X

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by michael1963
Well cheaper for the same type of product is a good thing. I have my front bumper Line-X'd as well as my storage compartment in the back. I think it's a great product.
Ya it's good stuff!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Banned

Linex..... I have only used GatorHyde

Hey heres one thing to think about... I have had some of the custom bumpers I Fabricate sprayed in Linex and some sprayed in GatorHyde, both local to me. The Linex was unimpressive, thin, and My customers complained. The GatorHyde was darn near 3/16 thick!!! and was half the price with the same appearance and was actually under warranty..... and speaking of warranty, Linex told me that the warranty ONLY covers truck beds, not exteriors, parts, bumpers, etc!!! What?

GatorHyde, By Gator Guard, LLC in Lynchburg VA

Linex, by Linex of Lynchburg, Lynchburg, VA

Just check around, and good luck.

Anthony Padgett
Padgett Fabrication, LLC
www.padgettfabrication.com

Last edited by PadgettFabrication; 04-23-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by PadgettFabrication
Hey heres one thing to think about... I have had some of the custom bumpers I Fabricate sprayed in Linex and some sprayed in GatorHyde, both local to me. The Linex was unimpressive, thin, and My customers complained. The GatorHyde was darn near 3/16 thick!!! and was half the price with the same appearance and was actually under warranty..... and speaking of warranty, Linex told me that the warranty ONLY covers truck beds, not exteriors, parts, bumpers, etc!!! What?

GatorHyde, By Gator Guard, LLC in Lynchburg VA

Linex, by Linex of Lynchburg, Lynchburg, VA

Just check around, and good luck.

Anthony Padgett
Padgett Fabrication, LLC
www.padgettfabrication.com
That Gator Hyde looks good (looks almost like Line-X) but, at 3/16" thick, how much more weight does that add?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Banned

That Gator Hyde looks good (looks almost like Line-X) but, at 3/16" thick, how much more weight does that add?
I am not sure. On the smaller 84-2004 truck rear bumper I would say it only added maybe 10 pounds on a 80 pound bumper. I wouldn't recommend it on one of my fully optioned bumpers, but this one was pretty plain and worked out well. I am actually planning on having the lower half of my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee in a few weeks.

On the other bumper the Line-x is so thin, it would scrape off very easily. Thats why I stopped using them and went to the GatorHyde product.

Even on truck beds, they all recommend a certain thickness for durability. If they aren't putting at least that thickness on your other items, it just wont hold up, in my opinion.

Also, both bumpers were shot knowing I own a Fabrication business and would be bringing in more business. Line-x charged what they said was COST $115, but the guys at Gator Guard applied an awesome thick coat of GatorHyde for $50!!! but keep in mind that was on a plain bumper, and was the Trial offer. I am sure if I was just an average Joe, the price would have been Twice that.

They both probably broke even or lost money.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by PadgettFabrication
I am not sure. On the smaller 84-2004 truck rear bumper I would say it only added maybe 10 pounds on a 80 pound bumper. I wouldn't recommend it on one of my fully optioned bumpers, but this one was pretty plain and worked out well. I am actually planning on having the lower half of my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee in a few weeks.

On the other bumper the Line-x is so thin, it would scrape off very easily. Thats why I stopped using them and went to the GatorHyde product.

Even on truck beds, they all recommend a certain thickness for durability. If they aren't putting at least that thickness on your other items, it just wont hold up, in my opinion.

Also, both bumpers were shot knowing I own a Fabrication business and would be bringing in more business. Line-x charged what they said was COST $115, but the guys at Gator Guard applied an awesome thick coat of GatorHyde for $50!!! but keep in mind that was on a plain bumper, and was the Trial offer. I am sure if I was just an average Joe, the price would have been Twice that.

They both probably broke even or lost money.
Thanks for that. I'm getting a set of sliders made up for my 4Runner and want to get them Line-X'd, basically because up here they are the only ones in that type of business and, I still have a in with the owners. BTW, your rear bumpers look awesome!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Banned

Thanks for that. I'm getting a set of sliders made up for my 4Runner and want to get them Line-X'd, basically because up here they are the only ones in that type of business and, I still have a in with the owners. BTW, your rear bumpers look awesome!
Thanks for the compliment on my bumpers. I lost my Full-time Job back in February, and I have been trying to ramp up my business to completely fill in the gap. Business has been slower than I had hoped. I mean I have been doing this for 13 years now, but I had run as a side job up until February. Its been hard getting the word out on my budget. If you know anyone interested, by all means send them my way. I really appreciate any business I get. Thanks again.

Last edited by PadgettFabrication; 04-23-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by scottishb
I talked to the local Line-X about spraying my bumpers and rocker panels. They quoted me a minimum of $1000. A thousand bucks?? That's crazy. What do you guys think?
Way way to much in my opinion......
Old 05-13-2011, 05:55 PM

I have Line-X in the bed of my truck and on my Badlands Bumper. I couldn't be more pleased. It is much better than Rhino which I have used in the past. It is what they sprayed the Pentagon with. It doesn't get much cooler than that! Bumpers are expensive to spray due to all of the overspray involved. You are actually paying for the volume of product used. The bed cost $400 and the bumper was $700. The stuff is basically bullet proof. I would spray my whole truck if I had the cash...