General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!

ok, I know yt is geared towards our lovely 4x4's but I have a problem and I need some help

i'm on vacation and about 2000km from home, driving my '85 supra.. just tonight, the clutch started feeling weird, disengaging much closer to the floor than before, then it started sticking in the freeplay. it seems to have gotten even worse and now it's almost not disengaging fully, engaging quite close to the floor.

since i'm not at home or anything, i can't really get to a fsm or really use the net much to find out (including going to a proper supra forum) so i'm hoping some of the yota lovers here like yotacars too

i have no idea weather the clutch is cable driven or hydraulic, i haven't been able to find a master cylinder at all.. but the manual does make mention of it..

i just got the car, it has a racing clutch and i've put 3000km on it so far with no issues or problems.. just started acting up tonight.. i'm really hoping that it's not something serious, i haven't really done anything crazy to damage it I don't think, pretty gentle daily driving..

someone please helps

Last edited by forbiddenera; 10-16-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:07 AM

85 supra should have a hydraulic clutch, it sounds as if your getting air inside the clutch lines. What motor is in it, 7mge, 6mge, 4age? i would check for fluid leakage inside the cab where the plunger goes to the MC, i would then pull the boot off and check the slave cylinder at the trany.

i also checked Mitchell Ondemand5 and it makes no mention of a mechanical clutch in an 85 celica/supra so i believe yours should be hydraulic.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by apalmer1
85 supra should have a hydraulic clutch, it sounds as if your getting air inside the clutch lines. What motor is in it, 7mge, 6mge, 4age? i would check for fluid leakage inside the cab where the plunger goes to the MC, i would then pull the boot off and check the slave cylinder at the trany.

i also checked Mitchell Ondemand5 and it makes no mention of a mechanical clutch in an 85 celica/supra so i believe yours should be hydraulic.
hey, thanks for the response

i actually did find a fsm, it definitely is a hydro clutch and I feel like an idiot for not finding the master cylinder because it's exactly where it should be (there was a few wires over it and it's a bit than my trucks)

anyhow, after some investigation, the cylinder is EMPTY. well damn, i did attempt to check it before i went on my trip at least, as I said, failing because I was blind (stoned?)

the engine is a 5mge, and when I was first inspecting it after this all started, I did notice that there might be fluid on the inside where it goes into the MC, it looked like it could be wet but it could just be some grease or something..

now I have to figure out how to bleed the system after getting some fluid in there without being able to lift the car..

wish me luck!
Old 10-16-2008, 04:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i hope your small!!! or can twist up pretty good!
find the slave on the side of the tranny and bleed that with fresh fluid might take like 3 bottles if its drie that should get you to a auto store or home to get a replacment!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by bigt
i hope your small!!! or can twist up pretty good!
find the slave on the side of the tranny and bleed that with fresh fluid might take like 3 bottles if its drie that should get you to a auto store or home to get a replacment!
haha
im not that big but the car is low..
filled it up, tried to pump out the air with no luck, so took it to toyota and spent $54 (1/2 hour shoprate.. ugh.. after already going to that dealership and having them kinda screw me around) getting it bled

clutch now works even better than when i got teh car

now to go back to calgary

kthxbye
Old 10-17-2008, 06:43 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I had that happen with my first Toyota truck. Driving back down the canyon and the pedal started going all the way to the floor and it got harder and harder to shift. I had no clue what was going on, and finally put it in 3rd and hobbled myself home, trying not to stop at any stop signs. Popped the hood and noticed my master cylinder was empty. I actually never bled it....just filled it back up & pumped the pedal a ton.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:48 AM

My truck did that too. I had to pump the clutch to shift. Then it got to the point that I couldn't leave it in gear at stops even w/ the clutch in. One slave cylinder later I was good to go.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:18 PM

So after examining a picture I took of the engine, it seems like the cylinder was half full, half way to Vancouver, so, it's probably leaking.

Thanks a lot to Toyota for telling me that there was any problems. Worst dealership ever. I'll post more later.

ps. made it home. haven't examined the fluid since. tired, dont care right now.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by forbiddenera
tired, dont care right now.
I know what that's like.

Sleep Good!