General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Greasing slip yokes.. did I overgrease?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greasing slip yokes.. did I overgrease?

Hey I've got a 1986 pickup.

Hopefully I'm not digging up dead horses to start kicking them again, but I keep finding conflicting info on this and am hoping for some guidance.

Today I went to grease my driveshafts. My owners manual says to "pump until grease can be seen leaking from the oil seals", and my 'How to keep your Toyota pickup alive' book said to pump just "a couple" pumps in to each zerk.

I started with my front driveshaft. I chose to take my owners manual advice, and pumped 4 times into the spider zerk and stopped when I saw a bit of grease ooze from the seals. I then turned my attention to the slide yoke, pumped a couple times, then a bit more. I pumped a total of 8-12 times (that's my memory, should have been counting at the time), and stopped the instant I saw the slide yoke move. It only moved maybe a millimeter or so. I took this to be the grease leaking from the oil seal that my manual mentioned but upon further reading it sounds like maybe I've overgreased. Some people say they grease til the yoke moves, though... I have not touched the rear driveshaft yet.

Did I overgrease?

If so, how do I fix the problem? Will it work itself out without my intervention?

Thanks.

Last edited by Lozo; 03-24-2017 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Added year and model
Old 03-24-2017, 06:26 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
You are probably OK, but.........

I have seen yokes pumped full of grease and then when the suspension was drasticly compressed soon afterwards, the welsh plug in the end of the female side of the yoke was pushed out by the incompressable grease wad
I have bought a number of machines in the past that needed these plugs replaced, because of over greasing in the past.
Once this plug has been pushed out, it is not really possible to keep the slip yoke well greased, and it is near impossible to set a new welsh plug without removing the universal cross from the yoke.

The yokes really don't need much grease, as long as they get a stroke or two every once in a while. Every oil change is plenty unless you ford deep water regularly.

Last edited by millball; 03-24-2017 at 06:29 PM.