General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Distilled or De-ionized water

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 06:33 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Distilled or De-ionized water

So I've heard people are using de-ionized water now in rads and batteries. It was my understanding it was 'better' than tap water it could still have some dissolved organic debris in it where as distilled water is arguably 'pure water'. My old man used to use 'softened water' but I was cautious of this due to the high sodium content but still his rads and batteries went for years.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:03 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
If di-ionised water is actually what it claims to be, it should be as pure distilled water is.

I distill my own water, so I know what I've got. Softened water is not pure by any means, it just has its calcium replaced with other ions.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

One of those things I use water out of the closest faucet most often the kitchen sink

If I can drink it it is not that bad .

I have been doing this my whole life then I never had city water

Which also gets used for washing parts as well

I have distilled water out of the dehumidifier I might use if it needs more then topping off
Old 09-10-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Long story short... DI or Distilled water will have significant advantage over plain tap water.

Long story...
DeIonization or distillation are merely ways of producing "pure" water. Either way, the purity can be measured by conductivity. Very pure water will NOT conduct electricity. If I'm not mistaken, the choice between two is based on feasibility. Distillation is more natural; If I were to drink I prefer it distilled.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Don't you dare even consider putting THAT distilled nectar in or even near a radiator ! ! !

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Long story short... DI or Distilled water will have significant advantage over plain tap water.
Long story...
DeIonization or distillation are merely ways of producing "pure" water. Either way, the purity can be measured by conductivity. Very pure water will NOT conduct electricity. If I'm not mistaken, the choice between two is based on feasibility. Distillation is more natural; If I were to drink I prefer it distilled.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Don't you dare even consider putting THAT distilled nectar in or even near a radiator ! ! !
Haha!

That would get expensive super quick and you would get pulled over for DUI as soon as you leave your driveway!

I think plain distilled water will be just fine in the cooling system. It is also easy to find at your local grocery store right next to the drinking water and is pretty cheap.

I used distilled water the last time I changed the coolant and I have had no problems at all.