General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Corolla Tech

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Corolla Tech

I know this site isn't a Corolla place but with all the Toyota people here I was wondering if there is a really good and active Corolla Tech site around that y'all would recommend.
Something like this one.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:45 AM

Bump - anyone?

Thank you
Old 01-03-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
You mean like CorollaForum.com or RollaClub.com?
When I had my Corolla I found most of my info on ToyotaNation though I searched most of them. Can't say I've seen many sites like YotaTech and iH8mud, those two are pretty strong for the 4wd Toyota community.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
You mean like CorollaForum.com or RollaClub.com?
When I had my Corolla I found most of my info on ToyotaNation though I searched most of them. Can't say I've seen many sites like YotaTech and iH8mud, those two are pretty strong for the 4wd Toyota community.
CorollaForum.com, RollaClub.com and ToyotaNation all seem kinda dead compared to the info (quality and amount) here.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
I have joined a few other car forums over the years but I have not seen another site quite like YotaTech. With other forums I have joined, many of the posts turn into internet "fist fights". You very rarely see that on YotaTech and is one of the reasons I like this site so much (even though I do not own a 4WD) . People here are helpful, not hurtful.

You could join the sites mentioned above, ask some questions, and see what happens.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2017, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
I have joined a few other car forums over the years but I have not seen another site quite like YotaTech. With other forums I have joined, many of the posts turn into internet "fist fights". You very rarely see that on YotaTech and is one of the reasons I like this site so much (even though I do not own a 4WD) . People here are helpful, not hurtful.

You could join the sites mentioned above, ask some questions, and see what happens.

Good luck!

Yeah, this site does seem to be more about the tech vs the personalities, and the info has helped me with Toyota specifics on my 2x pickup.

I am on the sites mentioned, and I've searched for the info I'm interested in. But there are few who are into the early Corollas (like my 81) and probably even less who want to do the things I want info on.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I would not mind seeing a picture of the 3TC. Never know, there might be someone on here that knows the Corolla.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I can appreciate an old Corolla - my mom used to drive us around in an 83 2dr Corolla. I KNOW there has to be some active Corolla forums - look at all those people who snatch up the 86s because of Initial D anime and all the people who rally and race the old ones. Possibly try some racing forums?
Old 01-04-2017, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I would not mind seeing a picture of the 3TC. Never know, there might be someone on here that knows the Corolla.
Originally Posted by highonpottery
I can appreciate an old Corolla - my mom used to drive us around in an 83 2dr Corolla. I KNOW there has to be some active Corolla forums - look at all those people who snatch up the 86s because of Initial D anime and all the people who rally and race the old ones. Possibly try some racing forums?
My current question in relation to my Corolla is regarding an instrument panel swap, like the SR5 swap for pickups without a tach etc.that I've seen here.
None of the Corolla sites seem to have a "plug and play" description like I've read here - there are several good write ups on that here. Or maybe it doesn't exist for a Corolla.
The question more specifically would be: Does a Corolla GT cluster (with tach etc) plug into an 81 wagon? If not directly what mods are needed?

The 3TC is a good engine IMO as I put a lot of long miles on it and it just keeps on going. I have abused it a few times too.
I have a single 45 DCOE (from a racing swap) and manifold (wrecking yard find) I want to put in it. The dual 40 DCOE set up is too much for a DD.

Here's a couple pics for Terry - not my car (it would break my camera if I took a pic as it is now
Attached Thumbnails Corolla Tech-3tc.jpg   Corolla Tech-3tc-w-webers.jpg  
Old 01-06-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up DCOE Love

What are you talking about? Dual 45DCOE's are great for daily driving! Well, except for the paying for all the gas part.

Had to chime in because I always get stoked to see another Toy running DCOE's.
Keep us posted on the build etc. Decent love for all things Toyota around here!
Old 01-07-2017, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks.. It looks like a simple engine to work on.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had 25 of the 70s corollas but they had the 2tc 1600 ....I loved them and would pick up another if I had the chance
Old 01-07-2017, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Thanks.. It looks like a simple engine to work on.
They are except the fuel pump is directly under the carb and really can't be seen. It is a feel only replacement.
I've done it 3 times now. My DCOE swap will eliminate that problem.

Originally Posted by 87yotaken
I had 25 of the 70s corollas but they had the 2tc 1600 ....I loved them and would pick up another if I had the chance
I thinks there are a number of parts that interchange with the 3TC. I keep mine because it is very dependable - but aftermarket parts create some issues.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bingle
What are you talking about? Dual 45DCOE's are great for daily driving! Well, except for the paying for all the gas part.

Had to chime in because I always get stoked to see another Toy running DCOE's.
Keep us posted on the build etc. Decent love for all things Toyota around here!
Yeah, the gas cost is part of it. And if I did dual 40s I would be spending a lot of money supporting the local courts and insurance company.

A Corolla build on a truck site might not fly and that project is on the back burner until a couple other things get done.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Yeah, the gas cost is part of it. And if I did dual 40s I would be spending a lot of money supporting the local courts and insurance company.

A Corolla build on a truck site might not fly and that project is on the back burner until a couple other things get done.
When you get around to the Corolla project, feel free to post in the "Other makes cars and trucks" section or in the "General Vehicle Related Topics section". I think it would be cool to see. Terrys87 has one on a 1976 Ford truck.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:39 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by old87yota
When you get around to the Corolla project, feel free to post in the "Other makes cars and trucks" section or in the "General Vehicle Related Topics section". I think it would be cool to see. Terrys87 has one on a 1976 Ford truck.
A Ford on a Toyota site - there outta be a law
Old 01-09-2017, 06:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf

I always wondered how my engine would perform in a little 2WD or ~79 Cellica-Supra. I would likely have issues with Johnny Law as well.
CAN I speed in my truck? You bet ya, but my truck on 35's makes me work for it.

I think cool Toyota projects are always appreciated around here.

I grew up in a Ford and Toyota mix family (Yeah, I probably do need therapy). At one point my folks driveway had 93 4Runner, 92 4Runner, 99 Ranger, 74 F-350, 83 Ranger, and my 81 Toy. It is possible to love both, but to be fair, over the years the Fords have been replaced with newer Toyotas. I do miss Dad's 74 with the 460 in it. It was a beast.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bingle
I always wondered how my engine would perform in a little 2WD or ~79 Cellica-Supra. I would likely have issues with Johnny Law as well.
CAN I speed in my truck? You bet ya, but my truck on 35's makes me work for it.

I think cool Toyota projects are always appreciated around here.

I grew up in a Ford and Toyota mix family (Yeah, I probably do need therapy). At one point my folks driveway had 93 4Runner, 92 4Runner, 99 Ranger, 74 F-350, 83 Ranger, and my 81 Toy. It is possible to love both, but to be fair, over the years the Fords have been replaced with newer Toyotas. I do miss Dad's 74 with the 460 in it. It was a beast.
I like a lot of different brands and types of vehicles. Soon as I say something like I'll never drive a ____ I end up with one or more. That's what happened with the cars I've raced.
I was never much of a VW bug fan in high school - eventually I raced a Class 11. Spend hours working on a friend's Fiat, swore I'd never own one - raced one in the 90s and still want to run it against the odds. Pintos - BOOM said "never". Raced in 3 in the 80s. I never use the word . . . never