General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Another Clutch Master Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Clutch Master Question

93 4runner. Wifes pedal went to floor yesterday on the side of the road. Looked in the clutch master and said "dang......baby, no fluid" Put some in and cracked the slave bleeder and placed the mighty vac on it. Couldnt get anything to come out so I called the tow truck. Tried to "gravity" bleed it by cracking the slave bleeder and going to bed. Checked it in the morn and same amount of fluid in the res.

Anybody know off hand what the problem is? Is the master bad or the slave if no fluid will come out of the bleeder?

Any thoughts will help. I dont have to re-bench bleed the old clutch master do I?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a problem recently where my bleeder itself was plugged and I had to clean it with a paperclip to be able to bleed my brakes at all.

another unrelated issue I had recently was a clutch hard line that was bent and had a leak at the bend, which I didn't know about because it only leaked under pressure. I only found it when I had someone pumping the clutch for me to bleed it. I cleaned it, sanded the area really well, cleaned it even more, then applied a couple coats of jb weld. it's been holding for weeks

just some things to look for
Old 10-27-2011, 01:25 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

With fluid in the master cylinder does pumping the clutch build up pressure at all??

If so your bleeder screw is dirty or just rusted bad and needs replaced .
Old 10-27-2011, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the response guys. I thought maybe a dirty bleeder so i took it out when I was on the side of the road. Blew on the end and air came out. Pretty sure the bleeder screw is not the issue. Also dont see any broken lines

Wyoming- when I pump the clutch even with fluid, I cant get anything at all, no pressure what so ever. Just falls to the floor regardless of how many times I pump it.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:22 PM

Time to throw a new Master Cylinder on it? I've replaced my master once and slave twice, it's a piece of cake brother. If you have a bunch of brake fluid if you go to replace both of them the first thing I would do is take off the slave and after that pump the clutch just to make sure that it's pushing it through the system to the slave cylinder. I had a similar issue once when my slave went down but I couldn't find a leak. But when I pulled on the slave boot it started to let a lot of the fluid out so that could be worth a shot. I'm not even close to as smart as some of these other guys on here but that's where I would start. I mean you can replace both of them for under 100 bucks I just recommend you don't go to Advance Auto for you're master or slave cylinder. I need to replace my master again that I bought from them because it doesn't pressurize enough and I've talked to some of the employees after the fact that said a lot of people complain about the same issue with their master cylinders. I'd recommend going to NAPA for both of them. My second time going around to do the slave cylinder I went with NAPA and it's working a lot better then the one I had on there from Advanced. Hope some of this might have helped brother.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like it's time for some new parts, I just did this yesterday.

Personally I think you should replace the Master, slave and the soft line.

My master cylinder was leaking inside the cab and the soft line was also leaking. I replaced the slave too for good measure.

I think it's worth it to use Aisin parts. You can do it for around $100.00.

Good luck!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:30 AM

alright fellas, thanks for the help. I figured I'd end up doing both, but was just hoping someone had run into this same problem before and new if it was one or the other. Not that either are very expensive, but hard spending money on a 4runner with well over 300,000 miles on it, plus im sure it will neeed a new clutch soon as I can hear the throw out bearing make noise.