General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Aftermarket Cruise Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Cruise Install

Over the holidays I installed a Rostra 250-1223 cruse system to my 93’ 3vze 5 speed Pickup. I have logged around 300 miles so far. Best $260 and 8 hours of labor I have ever spent on this truck. 8 hours is what it took me, I’m sure some could do it much quicker with fewer beverage breaks. Directions were cut and dried, pretty easy to follow. I do want to change how I have it attached to the throttle, they have a few more throttle adapter kits than I realized, but I made it work for now with the materials supplied. I have not tweaked any adustments as the cruise only varies 2 mph either way on hills with the factory advised settings. I feel like I could get less variance with adjustments. So if anyone is on the fence about installing aftermarket cruise, I wouldn’t think twice about doing it again. I had looked at swapping in a factory cruise from a donor vehicle, but I believe this was much less envolved.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
I actually removed my factory cruise control and installed the Audiovox CCCS-100 on my 87 4Runner. My factory cruise worked, but hardly. I checked for vacuum leaks, added a vacuum reservoir, troubleshot the system using the FSM, lubed all the cables, and still it wouldn't hold over 55 MPH. I removed it and installed the Audiovox system. I avoided cutting any factory wires by getting plugs and connectors from the junkyard so I could put inline splices in. I didn't drill any holes in the dash. It works great. I'm very pleased. It accelerates and holds speed way better than the OEM stuff did. I installed the same kit on my Ranger a year or so prior and was just as happy. I was able to get the kit for my 4Runner cheap because I saw it in the junkyard and pulled it. If I hadn't gotten the second Audiovox kit from the junkyard, I was planning to the the Rostra kit which uses an electric actuator instead of the vacuum operated Audiovox kit. But I'm still very happy with what I have with no plans to change it.