Tips & Tricks Tips and tricks to make the site easier to use such as posting pictures, where to host them, and avatars

Aftermarket temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket temp gauge

Ok so I moved the after market temp gauge just yesterday but before that the temp hit 200 on the after market temp gauge. So I moved sensor lastnight and test drove today and it was raining hard and looking at the temp it still hit the 200 mark. Ì have a 180 stat and I'm just kinda scared something might blow. I'm just wondering what's the normal temp for the 3vze motors. My stock gauge is not working right I know that, that's why I put an aftermarket mechanical. So should I be worried about it hitting 200. Ì didn't run truck long enough to see if it goes past the 200 mark. I relocated the aftermarket temp sensor to front of engine bay on the upper hose. Keep in mind that everything on cooling system is new and heater has been bypass. New radiator, upper and lower hoses even hoses at the back of engine are new, clutch fan is strong and I also have 2 more just in case. I'm wondering if it's needing restricted from my original radiator I tried to patch up with solder and the solder went into cooling system. Any infor would be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so i been doing some research and i found out that normal temp on most cars/trucks is 195 to 225 so im ok with it hitting the 200 mark but what im wondering is why when the stat is set to 180
Old 08-24-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The thermostat only sets what temperature it (the engine) starts letting heat out. How much it cools is a function of the cooling system, that is the radiator, fan, its shroud and clutch.

Check the air flow through the radiator air fins, the fins should be "generally straight" and not clogged. You can check this by shining light from the back side and visually inspecting. You can rinse them out from the back side and take the fins as needed.

Check for shroud damage. It should fit the fan diameter very closely. It also needs to sit flush against the radiators rear face. A bad fit will lessen its effectiveness in pumping air through.

The fan clutch. Uses a thermo dynamic fluid, whoses viscosity increases with heat. Check that it spins freely while the engine bay is cold, and with increasing drag once the engine bay gets up to temperature. (Do this with the engine off of course!) There is a test method in the FSM for this, which I don't recall the details of..
Old 08-24-2017, 04:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kadi96915
Ok so I moved the after market temp gauge just yesterday but before that the temp hit 200 on the after market temp gauge. So I moved sensor lastnight and test drove today and it was raining hard and looking at the temp it still hit the 200 mark. Ì have a 180 stat and I'm just kinda scared something might blow. I'm just wondering what's the normal temp for the 3vze motors. My stock gauge is not working right I know that, that's why I put an aftermarket mechanical. So should I be worried about it hitting 200. Ì didn't run truck long enough to see if it goes past the 200 mark. I relocated the aftermarket temp sensor to front of engine bay on the upper hose. Keep in mind that everything on cooling system is new and heater has been bypass. New radiator, upper and lower hoses even hoses at the back of engine are new, clutch fan is strong and I also have 2 more just in case. I'm wondering if it's needing restricted from my original radiator I tried to patch up with solder and the solder went into cooling system. Any infor would be appreciated.
I don't understand, you have a thread you already started pertaining to these issues.

Last edited by ksti; 08-24-2017 at 04:31 PM.