Announcements Announcements and news by Staff to let the community know what we are up to at YotaTech

Photobucket Woes?

Old 07-14-2017, 04:37 PM
IB Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Photobucket Woes?

Photobucket has made an update that forces users to pay to display their images on a third-party site.

You may see forum threads that were previously filled with images for builds, DIY, etc. now display an error image.

The new plan asks that users pay for a Photobucket Plus 500 subscription for $399 per year.

Here are some additional details from PCMAG:
https://www.pcmag.com/g00/news/35471...s-the-internet

I wanted to send this notice out as some users may get confused and ask why we are trying to charge them $400 to see thread images. This is not a change on our end, this is simply an unfortunate update from Photobucket.

Users are encouraged to host images locally in our gallery or through attachments.

The photos can still be found and saved locally from Photobucket by the original uploader or anyone can use tools like the Internet Archive below to find a cached copy of the thread and save the images to rebuild any broken threads:
https://archive.org/web/

Let Yotatech staff know if you have any additional questions or concerns that come up.

FULL GUIDE TO FIXING PHOTOBUCKET URLS:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by IB Cristina; 07-26-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Cristina
Users are encouraged to host images locally in our gallery or through attachments.
Thanks, this is what I wanted to know from the IB staff.

In the past, many forums did not have have space for direct picture uploads, but that appears to be a thing of the past.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Internet Brands has done a great job supporting Yotatech, some cool changes have come down the line
Old 07-15-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone
Internet Brands has done a great job supporting Yotatech, some cool changes have come down the line
i still miss chatbox!
Old 07-15-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Can you explain to the idiots (me) how to upload images to Yotatech?
Old 07-15-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
I like the changes to YotaTech. They seem to be relatively minor (for ease of use) but add useful features.

Originally Posted by Nervo19
Can you explain to the idiots (me) how to upload images to Yotatech?
I am not an expert at this, but here is how I upload pictures to YotaTech. I am using a Windows 10 computer but a Mac computer should be virtually the same.

Uploading pictures from your computer is pretty simple.

Click the mountain scene icon.

You will see this screen next. To upload a picture, Click "browse your device" or drag and drop your picture onto this screen. (If you have previously uploaded the picture to Yotatech, whether in a thread or to your albums, you can click the "My albums" link to find it) I will admit, I have not used the Albums feature much so I cannot comment on that yet.

Find your picture(s) and click "open".

This is what it looks like after you open your pictures. You can type photo captions in the "Say something about this photo..." box if you want. For these pictures, I am just typing in the regular "reply to thread" box between the pictures I have inserted. When everything on this page looks good, click the green "Insert" button on the upper right corner. Your picture should now be inserted in your post.

I still need to play around with the gallery and albums feature. It seems to be useful to arrange your pictures and saving them for future posts, but as I said, I haven't used it much yet.

This is just a quick and dirty post to get you going. Announcement threads like these might get deleted because they will become "old news".

I plan on posting a "how to" once I figure everything out if no one has yet. I want to create a thread or have the mods edit the old sticky on how to post pictures on Yotatech, for future use and future members. Currently, it says to use a photo hosting site, and shows how to use Photobucket.

I hope that helps for now.

Last edited by old87yota; 07-15-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:47 AM
Fossilized
Staff

old87yota- nicely done!
i will add your post to the sticky
Old 07-18-2017, 05:00 PM
IB Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot, Jake! For the compliments to IB (thanks to you too, Robb) and the handy guide to using the photo uploader.

We'd also appreciate help notifying members that their photos are broken and pointing them to this thread where they can learn what to do about it. Especially in threads everyone finds very helpful. We're working on a way to notify those with the most popular threads more efficiently, but this will still take some time to figure out.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:32 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
I've been using this thread instructions to upload pics and rebuild my build thread. The problem I been having is the pics are very large when Saved in the posts. Does anyone know what the size is required for the forum and how to resize it for the thread, for the Yota upload feature? Once I know the size required, I can use a third party app to resize them on my computer and then upload. Thanks.........Lon

Last edited by Lons81; 07-22-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:34 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by Lons81
I've been using this thread instructions to upload pics and rebuild my build thread. The problem I been having is the pics are very large when Saved in the posts. Does anyone know what the size is required for the forum and how to resize it for the thread, for the Yota upload feature? Once I know the size required, I can use a third party app to resize them on my computer and then upload. Thanks.........Lon
i'll see what i can find out
Old 07-22-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
your photos look fine to me, lon. i believe that YT automatically resizes photos so they cant be larger than a certain size. although, looking at them on my phone they look huge, but on the comnputer, they look the same.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:48 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by space-junk
your photos look fine to me, lon. i believe that YT automatically resizes photos so they cant be larger than a certain size. although, looking at them on my phone they look huge, but on the comnputer, they look the same.
I think space-junk is correct, just looked at your thread and the edited pics look great

Search this Thread