Announcements Announcements and news by Staff to let the community know what we are up to at YotaTech

Administrator Announcement (flaming/searching)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Administrator Announcement (flaming/searching)

There seems to have been a lot of posts as of late where some members have been nit picking on the staff.
This will not be tolerated here as per the rules.
2. Flaming And Bashing

Our policy is no flaming or bashing - either publicly or by private messaging.
This includes members and staff.
Also, posting to "egg" members on or to entice bashing will not be tolerated.
If you have a beef with a member, take it outside of YotaTech.

The same goes for bashing other message boards or mocking their content.
8. Mocking Or Flaming The Staff.

We will not tolerate any mocking or flaming of the staff.
This includes but is not limited to:

a. Posting the contents of a "Private Message" in public view of one you have received either from an admin or moderator.
b. Arguing with mods publicly over a ruling on a member.
c. Pleading for the return of a banned member (permanent ban is FOR LIFE, get over it)
Also as of late we have seen a lot of posts that pop up that the subject/answer was just posted a week before, or that a simple search will yield the results.

Some members have gotten down right snippy when asked to search.
Just about everything under the sun has been covered here at YotaTech.
We gave a huge database that started here in May of 2002, and more than likely your answer is here.

Not that we do not want new threads, but quite often the answer may be here.
And someone can bump an older thread and state in it what they have done differently.
It is the threads that ask the obvious question what kind of bumpers are out there for my rig that pops into mind.
Numerous threads here, I am just using this one as an example.
In the rules it mentions searching.
Pay attention to the last line, as these rules have been in place here for a long time.
15. Searching (or a blatant lack of)

While you will not find a nicer, more helpful bunch than the YotaTech membership, anyone can grow frustrated seeing new threads with the same questions over and over.
A few well spent minutes educating yourself so you ask INTELLIGENT and INFORMED questions will gather much more attention from the seasoned members in the know than a lazy attempt to have the members spoon feed you information.
It is ALWAYS better to add on to an existing thread (if the information is pertinent) than to start another with the same information.
This makes it easier for the next person with fewer threads to pour over to gather their information.

More info on how to search can be found in our newbie section.

A word of warning. If you are a chronic "non-searcher" or if you feel the need to mouth off to either the membership or staff for telling you to search, your stay here will be short-lived.
Members here love to help other members.
YotaTech has a reputation for helping members so much that other forums like to take stabs at us for that very reason.
These comments come from another forum where if you do not search, you will get flamed and your linage questioned.

But even members that have been here a long time have expressed to us lately that they do get irritated when some members want to be spoon fed information that is only a few clicks away.
The search engine here works great.
In the past, not so great.
But now that we are on state of the art servers and the search engine has been optimized, you should get very good results.
I never have a problem when using the search engine here, and I use it almost daily to look up older stuff for reference.

If a staff member asks you to try searching for an answer as well as a member, please do not take it personally, they are only trying to help you help yourself.

We now return you to your regular programming.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Infected YotaTech.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how much lift do i......

lol jk!! i here ya cory!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to think of myself as somewhat of a senior member here.
I can't tell you how rewarding it has been, over the years, to see new members grow into some of the most helpful and influential people on this board.
That my sound cliche or stupid but that's how I feel.

I want to stress this quote:

Not that we do not want new threads, but quite often the answer may be here.
And someone can bump an older thread and state in it what they have done differently.
It is the threads that ask the obvious question what kind of bumpers are out there for my rig that pops into mind.
Numerous threads here, I am just using this one as an example.
In the rules it mentions searching.
Pay attention to the last line, as these rules have been in place here for a long time.
We love new threads here with a new question we haven't seen before or for a long time.
I understand it can be kind of awkward to revive a very old thread.
I enjoy reading new people's questions and see what new problems/solutions they bring to the table.

But just last week, for example, I personally moderated six (6) "tps problem" threads.
Two of which were posted within minutes of eachother.

Granted, these were made by brand new members with fewer than 5 or 6 posts and less than a month of experience on here - it is still bothersome.

What is even more bothersome is to see the types of responses we get when we tell people to search.
When we say that, 90% of the time we are trying to be helpful and make you aware of the most useful tool this board has to offer.

Corey covered everything perfectly, I just wanted to stress that point.

As always if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to post in the "Site Feedback" forum or PM one or all of the Staff.
If some of you new members have some suggestions as to how we could better handle these issues I encourage you to bring them up to us and the board.

We are constantly, and I mean constantly coming up with ways to help improve this board - as seen recently in the Classifieds cleanup we're working on.
I welcome newer members to help contribute to the site - it shows a sense of pride and interest which is great to see.

Thanks to all the members out there that help us by Reporting posts and bringing our attention to matters we can't see amongst the thousands of threads.

Happy Posting,

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 02-27-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks guy's.
I would like to add another item here that got my blood boiling the other day on a work day when time for me at home is tight before retiring for bed.
I was at home when this happened.

There was a thread on here to a video of a truck rollover, and of course the video had the F word in it twice very clearly.
This type of vid is not suited for a work/family safe forum such as YotaTech.
If I had opened that video at work and someone heard it, I could have been reported and fired.
No pension from Boeing, no job.

But wait, there is more!
The site was laden with pop ups (break.com) and my Ad Blocker Plus and latest Firefox did not stop it.

I had to reboot my PC, and my AVG anti virus software would not load, nor would Diskeeper, an application that keeps my hard drives defragged all the time.

I rebooted again, and I still had problems.
All of my cookies in Firefox were gone, and I had to relog into about ten sites that I use daily.

This wasted about one hour of my personal time messing with this.
If this had been a computer at work, my terminal would have been red flagged, and I may have gotten in a lot of trouble.

Posting links to not safe for work stuff here is a
Had it happened at work and I had gotten fired, I would have hunted down the poster and let off some serious steam and who knows what else I would have done.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

Not to gang up on folks but another problem I've noticed lately is thread titles...

Please try to be as specific as you can in the title [topic] line. A lot of members after checking the threads they are signed into via the "User CP" button drop into "New Posts" to browse around.
A generic title/topic like "Need Help with my 86" for example might get passed over because they don't have an 86 or don't want to read a whole post to find out what the issue is.
A more specific title like "Need Help with stalling 86 4 cyl." will get you more responses sooner.
Remember a thread title is like a headline you need to catch the reader's attention and make them want to read more.

Good luck and happy posting
Aviator
Old 02-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
There is already a sticky regarding ambigous thread titles. Simple things like "help please" and "omg problems" were supposed to be getting deleted. So please, help a brotha out and post up better thread titles!
Old 02-27-2009, 02:12 PM

Great points from Corey and Aviator...Corey, I remember that same video, I need to be more vigalante style...And Like I said, Avi makes a great point on that, What he described is exactly how I browse the forums, Although I dont own an 86 so im less likely to read that in the first place but still.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Generally if I see a thread title that makes no sense I would not click on it on other forums.

But all of the threads here I scan when I hit the "New Posts" button, so sometimes I do click on them.
But like mentioned, if you want help fast to a problem, make it eye catching and to the point of the problem.

It also helps the search engine here index them.

It also helps the search bots that crawl over YotaTech 24/7 to index your threads on their sites when someone is using an external search engine to look up tech info.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by scuba
Great points from Corey and Aviator...Corey, I remember that same video, I need to be more vigalante style...And Like I said, Avi makes a great point on that, What he described is exactly how I browse the forums, Although I dont own an 86 so im less likely to read that in the first place but still.
Thanks.
That is the only way I surf YotaTech here is with the New Posts feature.
I do not go into individual sections.

On other forums I do, but not here.
I have to here, as I also scan for threads or posts that are under moderation due to the first five posts being monitored by the antispaminator plugin here.
It will catch legit users too, so their posts have to be approved before anyone else can view them.
But it sure cuts down on the amount of spam from spammers.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by scuba
Gee, thanks for noticing my words of wisdom....

I agree with the ambiguous and overall vague thread titles - it is to your benefit to name them appropriately.

Fink
Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was under the impression when i joined that you could ask all those stupid been answered a million times questions in the NEWBIE forum... sometime its cool to get some first hand help on a task and its helped me before.. but i have noticed lately alot of these type questions in the different trucks sections WHICH makes it harder to search for useful threads by diluting the database..

the staff does an amazing job as it is but sometimes i think alot of users dont read the rules... i think when i joined i had to read the rules before i posted.. did they remove that or ??
Old 02-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bigt
i was under the impression when i joined that you could ask all those stupid been answered a million times questions in the NEWBIE forum... sometime its cool to get some first hand help on a task and its helped me before.. but i have noticed lately alot of these type questions in the different trucks sections WHICH makes it harder to search for useful threads by diluting the database..

the staff does an amazing job as it is but sometimes i think alot of users dont read the rules... i think when i joined i had to read the rules before i posted.. did they remove that or ??
The Newbie section is for question that are asked frequently but we still ask that you search.
The threads that are out in the mainstream forum areas are the ones that we are talking about
I will move them to the Newb section and put a note in there asking them to search.

As far as new members needing to read the rules upon signup - I don't know if they are required to but lets face it, it's like the User Agreements on software.
They always pop-up asking you to read them and there's a check box to either agree or disagree - how often do you actually read them?
I never do.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 02-27-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
Thanks.

On other forums I do, but not here.
I have to here, as I also scan for threads or posts that are under moderation due to the first five posts being monitored by the antispaminator plugin here.
I can see you doing one of these as you say that

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
The Newbie section is for question that are asked frequently but we still ask that you search.
The threads that are out in the mainstream forum areas are the ones that we are talking about
I will move them to the Newb section and put a note in there asking them to search.

As far as new members needing to read the rules upon signup - I don't know if they are required to but lets face it, it's like the User Agreements on software.
They always pop-up asking you to read them and there's a check box to either agree or disagree - how often do you actually read them?
I never do.

Fink
See thats the thing, If they looked around or even searched (you can narrow it down to which section of the forum, IE "newbie tech" section) they would see that the question was answered 4 hours ago, 5 mins ago ETC... And for the UA and rules, I never do, But one day when I was sick and bored I read the YT ones...