Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Will not shift into overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to yotatech and had a question. my 4runner wont shift into overdrive. it goes 100 kmh at 4000rpm

Last edited by rworegon; 12-03-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:23 PM

well welcome.. what gen is it? year specific? Have you checked all fuses?
Just some background. Why did you turn the o/d off anyway, how long was it off? etc...
Old 06-30-2009, 12:33 PM

hey, it's a 93, 2nd gen. i had a good tuneup about 6 months ago.all of the fuses were changed, the tranny was flushed and filter changed. when i'm on the highway not much happens when i turn o/d on or off. sometimes i can't get second or 3rd gear if i don't let it warm up. i think the tranny is messed up.

Last edited by rworegon; 12-03-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:27 PM

I have seen a lot of transmissions get fried because they were flushed.
In the future Just change the filter don't flush it.
You should be able to find a used transmission pretty cheap though.
Make sure the transmission fluid is at the proper level that could cause it to not shift properly.

Last edited by whokrz; 06-30-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Check the coolant temperature sender for the A/T computer, and make sure the engine is reaching proper operating temperature. If not, the A/T computer will not allow overdrive.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:53 AM

it could also very well be the overdrive sensor.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:01 AM

mine did that. it was totally lame. I hated that automatic anyways. it would downshift going downhill. and upshift every once in awhile to overdrive if you hammered on the gas an let off at the top of a hill. I found swapping in a five speed to be much more efficient.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.toyotaholics.com/support/...sp?TOPIC_ID=19
Old 01-05-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by cernocerno
new to yotatech and had a question. my 4runner wont shift into overdrive. it goes 100 kmh at 4000rpm
Have you fixed it? I just had the same exact problem.

Last edited by rworegon; 12-03-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:01 AM

I'm finding to have the same problem. It seem to happen only when I jump in crank it and go. If the motor is up to normal operating temperature . It shift in to overdrive. But when she cold ,I can be at 4500 rpm doing 50 mph and no shift until I come to stop light and she warm . Is this normal ?

Mike
The following users liked this post:
Corn-fed (04-21-2021)
Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 AM

mine done after I buy the GENUINE TOYOTA THERMOSTAT. Not the one from Advance auto/autozone/ pepboys/etc...etc...
Old 09-29-2010, 01:17 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by forerunnin
I'm finding to have the same problem. It seem to happen only when I jump in crank it and go.
Which is exactly what you shouldn't do with an automatic transmission.

So much so, Toyota engineered a temp switch so that the trans would NOT got in to OD without the truck being brought up to temp 1st...

And the reason it takes so long is think of the cold air you're cramming into the front of your truck when you're driving. It's not as effective as if the truck is sitting still, idling.

Owners manual, read it.
Russt (01-08-2023)
Old 09-29-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
Which is exactly what you shouldn't do with an automatic transmission.

So much so, Toyota engineered a temp switch so that the trans would NOT got in to OD without the truck being brought up to temp 1st...

And the reason it takes so long is think of the cold air you're cramming into the front of your truck when you're driving. It's not as effective as if the truck is sitting still, idling.

Owners manual, read it.
Oh is that what the empty glovebox is for. Next ill make sure there's one in there when I buy another Toyota 4runner. Thanks for your kind and thoughtful response !

Mike
Old 12-02-2014, 09:00 AM

Help! I just bought a 1994 Toyota 4runner V6 automatic. Ran fine when I bought it last month. Now it is not going into overdrive. Also, it sometimes is slow to take off after a complete stop. Its like its not engaging into gear. When it finds a gear it will jump and take off... any solutions???
Old 07-27-2016, 01:58 PM

OK, same issue with my 94. This just started yesterday. Only way I could get passing gear was to shift into neutral and back into drive. The bushings are worn out on mine also which needs to be corrected. I am going check fluid and replace with Toyota OEM thermostat. Also on a minor note, I did have my transmission flushed and synthetic Toyota fluid refilled. Any thoughts?

Edit to post: Checked fluid and it's filled to it's proper level. No leaks either.

Last edited by madmallard87; 07-27-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:10 PM

Latest and greatest in bad news. This 4runner is my favorite! Body style is the best ever, however it's killing my pocket. I knew a restoration was in order but this is defeating the tradition of Toyota quality I am accustom to. The water pump went to leaking on me out of the blue so I bought a kit and had it installed with a Toyota OEM thermostat. It ran and shifted great for two days, now coming home today it will not shift into over drive. This is a random hit/miss problem. Tomorrow it may do fine on the 34 miles commute to work. I had the transmission flushed and refilled with synthetic a few months ago by a Toyota dealership. Recommended by the service manual. Has this created the problem? The intercooler is clean and I am to think air is getting through it to help cool the fluid inside. I don't know, anyone out there seen such on a 2nd gen 3.0?
Old 08-12-2016, 10:12 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Might eliminate a lot of shift problems by replacing the transmission shift solenoids....consider it as preventative maintenance

shifting solenoid kit for autos on older Yotas(86~95)
Axiom Automotive Technologies....1360 Ingleside Rd.....Norfolk, VA 23502....800-622-6997 (kit#97420K)

https://www.google.com/search?q=kit%...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 10-01-2017, 11:36 AM

SOLVED FOREVER VIA HACK!!!!

Hello,

This problem is most commonly caused by the ECM locking out the overdrive due to some weird sensor reading from the engine, toyota designed the system to lockout the over drive until the engine reaches 170 degrees, and some TPS related issues can also cause the lockout signal to innate, this problem can also be caused by a CLOGGED coolent bypass tube that allows coolant to flow through the temperature sender casting on the back of the intake valley, this stops fresh warm coolent from entering the bolt on casting and thus causing low readings this is why setting the climate controls in the cab to hot fixes the OD problem since it allows coolent to flow through that casting into the heater core. thus warming up the sensors......

since these are old trucks and it can be very difficult to get clean signals from the engine to the ECU Toyota's safety design has caused a nightmare for a lot of automatic A340H transmission owners , the transmission has to be warm for the od to work or it could cause damage, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! HOWEVER , the ECT has its own temperature sensor that the ECT looks at and locks the overdrive out on its own.... so if my fix doesnt work replace the temperature sensor on the transmission. so 2 options: you can fix the issues with the ECM signal by changing sensors and fixing connectors or you can just HACK the system

I had this scourge of a problem simple fix was as follows:

There are 4 wires connecting the the ECM engine control and ECT transmassion control

these wires are labeled on the pinouts for the control connectors 1. ect or od 2. L1 3. L2 4. L3
Now, Get you book out or fire up google and lookup the pinouts on the wiring diagrams for the ECM and locate the ECT pin on hte PINout for the pysical connectors, ignore whatever the color code is supposed to be and concentrate on the pin position, i would post these diagrams but my biggest Peve of online forms is images never stick around long enough to be useful, so im going to just discribe this process and you will have to find any diagrams you may need.

The wire we are interested in is ECT/OD this is the lock out control signal wire on the ECM diarams its called ECT on the ECT diagrams its called OD

now remove the cowling near the floor of the passenger side door and remove the 3 10mm bolts holding the ECM to the Fire wall

next locate the exact pin position for the ECT wire on the connectors of the computer , with the release tabs for the 3 connectors facing up, its the 3rd connector to the right and the first pin of the bottom row of the left side of that connector, cut that freaking wire at least 2 or 3 inches from the connector. the computer no longer sends the overdrive lockout out signal to the ECT, and the manual overdrive lockout switch on the shifter still works

Your Welcome!!!

Ocean House

Last edited by offset442; 10-01-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Fla918 (11-28-2019)
Old 09-16-2018, 05:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by offset442
SOLVED FOREVER VIA HACK!!!!

Hello,

This problem is most commonly caused by the ECM locking out the overdrive due to some weird sensor reading from the engine, toyota designed the system to lockout the over drive until the engine reaches 170 degrees, and some TPS related issues can also cause the lockout signal to innate, this problem can also be caused by a CLOGGED coolent bypass tube that allows coolant to flow through the temperature sender casting on the back of the intake valley, this stops fresh warm coolent from entering the bolt on casting and thus causing low readings this is why setting the climate controls in the cab to hot fixes the OD problem since it allows coolent to flow through that casting into the heater core. thus warming up the sensors......

since these are old trucks and it can be very difficult to get clean signals from the engine to the ECU Toyota's safety design has caused a nightmare for a lot of automatic A340H transmission owners , the transmission has to be warm for the od to work or it could cause damage, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! HOWEVER , the ECT has its own temperature sensor that the ECT looks at and locks the overdrive out on its own.... so if my fix doesnt work replace the temperature sensor on the transmission. so 2 options: you can fix the issues with the ECM signal by changing sensors and fixing connectors or you can just HACK the system

I had this scourge of a problem simple fix was as follows:

There are 4 wires connecting the the ECM engine control and ECT transmassion control

these wires are labeled on the pinouts for the control connectors 1. ect or od 2. L1 3. L2 4. L3
Now, Get you book out or fire up google and lookup the pinouts on the wiring diagrams for the ECM and locate the ECT pin on hte PINout for the pysical connectors, ignore whatever the color code is supposed to be and concentrate on the pin position, i would post these diagrams but my biggest Peve of online forms is images never stick around long enough to be useful, so im going to just discribe this process and you will have to find any diagrams you may need.

The wire we are interested in is ECT/OD this is the lock out control signal wire on the ECM diarams its called ECT on the ECT diagrams its called OD

now remove the cowling near the floor of the passenger side door and remove the 3 10mm bolts holding the ECM to the Fire wall

next locate the exact pin position for the ECT wire on the connectors of the computer , with the release tabs for the 3 connectors facing up, its the 3rd connector to the right and the first pin of the bottom row of the left side of that connector, cut that freaking wire at least 2 or 3 inches from the connector. the computer no longer sends the overdrive lockout out signal to the ECT, and the manual overdrive lockout switch on the shifter still works

Your Welcome!!!

Ocean House
Having an issue with not shifting into OD. Took to Aamco transmission in Macon GA and they could find nothing wrong. A transmission shop not finding a problem, so they deserve and honorable mention. Mine will shift if I let off the gas, so I assumed vacuum problem. Aamco had 2 techs on it for an hour and said no vacuum leaks. Your post seems like a good place to start diagnosing mine and wanted to thank you for taking the time to post it.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:52 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by jjrbus
Having an issue with not shifting into OD. Took to Aamco transmission in Macon GA and they could find nothing wrong. A transmission shop not finding a problem, so they deserve and honorable mention. Mine will shift if I let off the gas, so I assumed vacuum problem. Aamco had 2 techs on it for an hour and said no vacuum leaks. Your post seems like a good place to start diagnosing mine and wanted to thank you for taking the time to post it.

OD activation is dependant on throttle position, you can ask the ECT what throttle angle it received. Find the ECT DG terminal and out a volt meter on it with the engine off. If it's higher than expected change or adjust the sensor..

And no I'm not reading the whole thread, too late long day.

Quick Reply: Will not shift into overdrive