Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

When to lock

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:56 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by combatcarl
...Don't do it. Seeing as the front wheels combined turning radius is wider than the rear's, and your driveshafts are locked together in rotation, your tires will try to rotate them at different speeds. I don't wanna know what would let go first. Front CV's? If you're going hubs locked on pavement, 2HI is safe. No 4HI/LO with hubs locked on pavement. With my truck, running hubs locked and 2HI, I get on-the-fly shifting capabilities. May not be the same across all models/years tho.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, btw, Chuck, that is a DANG nice Landcruiser...you selling?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I hadn't had much experience with 4 wheel drive at one point, and was on some pavement, hubs locked, and in 4HI, and she just wouldn't turn. Made all kinds of unhappy noises. Don't do it. Seeing as the front wheels combined turning radius is wider than the rear's, and your driveshafts are locked together in rotation, your tires will try to rotate them at different speeds. I don't wanna know what would let go first. Front CV's? If you're going hubs locked on pavement, 2HI is safe. No 4HI/LO with hubs locked on pavement. With my truck, running hubs locked and 2HI, I get on-the-fly shifting capabilities. May not be the same across all models/years tho.
technically your axle shafts arent locked together. if you unlock your hubs and put your t-case in n or 2hi and turn your front driveshaft by hand only one cv axle will turn. if they were locked together both would turn. the front diff works just like the rear.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:04 PM

K...so if your outside front, and outside rear are being driven, (which is what open/open diffs will prefer to do, your frontend traveling distance is still longer than your rear...? Meaning more driveshaft rotations at one end than the other? (in 2HI, hubs locked) In 4HI, your driveshafts locked together....its your truck, not mine. If I'm seeing this wrong, its cool, I'm far from smart.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by snobdds
This will interesting to hear some of the responses on this one...
Like I said, I find it funny all the differing responses here. The answer has already been posted so I don't need to beat a dead horse.

Just goes to show, the more you think you know the less you actually do...

And oh...I have never quoted myself before
Old 12-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
K...so if your outside front, and outside rear are being driven, (which is what open/open diffs will prefer to do, your frontend traveling distance is still longer than your rear...? Meaning more driveshaft rotations at one end than the other? (in 2HI, hubs locked) In 4HI, your driveshafts locked together....its your truck, not mine. If I'm seeing this wrong, its cool, I'm far from smart.
Yep, with a part-time 4WD system, the front axle will make more rotations than the rear in a turn. If you don't believe that, hit a parking lot with a puddle in it, drive through the puddle and then crank the steering wheel all the way over and make a U-turn. Stop and hop out and look at the wet tire tracks and see which are the front and rear tires and you'll see the fronts make a wider arc than the rears.

With open diffs, both wheels on the axle will be driven (assuming adequate traction) and the diff (ring gear) will spin at the average of the inner and outer wheel speeds. since the front wheels travel farther on average than the rears, the front ring gear wants to make more rotations than the rear, thus the front drive shaft wants to turn more turns than the rear and then you hit the t-case. There the front and rear drives are tied together with gears (or a chain) and gears or chain sprockets always spin the same speed, so something has to give. Usually it is a tire slipping and if you are on gravel, dirt, snow, ice, that is not a problem. On pavement, wet or dry, it takes a lot to make the tire slip, so lots of stress builds up in all the drive train parts.

First time I made this "mistake" was that I had driven up to the mountains in the snow (in 4WD) and we pulled into a covered parking structure and didn't think to unlock the hubs or shift into 2H. I think we saw a parking spot behind us and I pulled a tight u-turn and there was a loud bang. Luckily it was only that one of the tires had gone over a fair sized pebble, and that was enough to cause that tire to spin loose and shoot that pebble off like a shot. I guess the bang was from the sudden release of built up torque in the drive train.

I have run in 4WD (or at least front hubs locked) on the highway where there is intermittent snow/ice then bare pavement. If the road is fairly straight, no problem leaving it in 4H, but if it looks like a long stretch of bare pavement or some turns coming up, I'll pop the t-case into 2H until I next see snow covered pavement coming up. Basic rule I use is that if the road is slippery enough to let the tires slip enough to prevent binding in the t-case, then it is slippery enough to need 4WD. If is is not slippery enough to prevent binding, then you don't need 4WD.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:42 PM

Oh, btw, Chuck, that is a DANG nice Landcruiser...you selling?
Sorry, not selling, just bought it last spring or summer, and I love it! I'm wondering if I can make it last long enough to be the last car I ever need to buy?

Thanks for all the info everyone, it's really helpful!

Last edited by ChuckDelta; 12-07-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:47 PM

Ah well, I wouldn't sell it either. Every good one I see around here, is either beaten to poopoo, not for sale, or WAY outta my price range. Had a perma-borrowed one when I was in NY, all rusty, but a sweetheart. Ran like a top.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:04 AM

ok. i shouldve looked that up before posting. i was wrong with my previous posts although i do agree with 4crawler on the highway driving thing.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jkelley429
you can use the 4wd with the hubs locked on pavement. it wont hurt a thing, definitely if there is ice on the roads.
this is only true if you NEVER TURN.

toyota t-case has no center diff, so when you turn, you'll have binding between the axles. that's the difference between a part-time 4WD system like we have, or full-time 4WD system which has a center differential.

this diagram shows why:

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnfull.html
Old 12-08-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Remember kids, ALWAYS read the entire thread before posting.

He already admitted to being misinformed.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 12-08-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rattlewagon
Remember kids, ALWAYS read the entire thread before posting.

He already admitted to being misinformed.
sorry, just found a good image i thought helped illustrate what we were all discussing. i wasn't hammering anyone.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
this is only true if you NEVER TURN.

toyota t-case has no center diff, so when you turn, you'll have binding between the axles. that's the difference between a part-time 4WD system like we have, or full-time 4WD system which has a center differential.

this diagram shows why:

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnfull.html
That is a very good picture and you could see the same thing with wet tire tracks in a sharp turn.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

You can lock the hubs and drive around all day everywhere with no issues all you are doing is essentially what toyota did when they went to the ADD hub... this gives you shift on the fly capability... all you will do is hurt the fuel economy a bit and increase the wear on the CVs.
However you should not shift into 4wd with the hubs unlocked... if the hubs have not fully disengaged [and this can happen if the springs are weak or the grease stiff with cold/contaminants] you can damage the spider gears in the hubs or throw the truck out of control with the sudden unbalanced grip.
As previous posters have said if traction is in doubt or bad wx is forecast lock'em up other than that let them free wheel for best all around results...

Last edited by aviator; 12-09-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Unless you have tire spikes, Nothing works on black ice. I vote for the hubs locked 4wd when you need it.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
4WD without the hubs locked is fine. Doesn't hurt anything
Old 12-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
4WD without the hubs locked is fine. Doesn't hurt anything
I would agree generally no unless the hubs have'nt completely released as I said.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 PM

Why run 4wd and not lock the hubs? I don't get it, you just have to get out n lock them. With manuals anyway.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
4Low without hubs is 2Lo with is cool
Old 12-09-2011, 09:41 PM

Now thats cool. How low can you go.

Quick Reply: When to lock