Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

When is downey front truss necessary on IFS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When is downey front truss necessary on IFS?

I found a lot of good info on the downey front truss. Everyone says it's nice and does a great job of protecting your frame. My problem is that I only off-road when I hunt deer or turkey. Everyone once in a while I run over a 8 inch diameter downed tree and I go through some pretty deep mud and puddles and such. I also do like to drive pretty fast through mud, puddles, and tracks. Am I in any danger of messing up my frame?

Originally I had planned on getting the truss but once I realized I'd have to drill into the IFS I didn't feel as good about it.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2 cents.
A good skidplate would be a better choice.
I belive the BUDBUILT is one of the best choices, Im sure there are others and they secure and help protect the crossmember.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Banned

I had my Downey truss welded on. I don't like bolts and definitely don't like drilling holes and bolting stuff on if I dont have to.
You dont really need the truss unless you are working the suspension pretty hard--for instance bottoming it out hard. This will serve to spread the frame where Toyota negleted to brace the lower a arms. Toyota doesnt neglect to do much of anything--or at least they did not used to--and you sound like a typical (sane) wheeler that will never have frame/suspension issues.
But you never know.
It is inexpensive insurance and good peace of mind in my opinion.
But I am no fan of Downey stuff. I am sure there is a better alternative and I was not impressed with the thin wall of the Downey piece--mine dented when using it as a center jack point to jack up the front of my rig.
At any rate, weld the thing on.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Get one of these https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73531

I think a truss is necessary even if you only do mild wheeling. It's a weak link in the front end thats often overlooked. It will/can spread from mild to moderate wheeling. Mine was by a good 1/4".
Old 08-06-2006, 12:11 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, the Sonoran one looks seriously beefy. I really should get one, but I think a SFA may be in my future... LOL
Old 08-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I'm getting one.

Rocket, you rock! That's an awesome product. I already PM'd the guy and I hope he does a production run soon. Now I should probably hold my breath until I check my dimensions. It would suck to see 17.75" or something...
Old 08-07-2006, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

I have the sonoran steel version and its 20x better that the downey that I had first. Its very well built and worth every cent. I have seen several IFS rigs go "pigeon toe'd" after a mild wheeling trip since the larger tire size really added torsional stress and tweeked the frame. (my rig was very similarly set up, except I had the truss, I suffered no ill effects on the same route)
Old 08-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

I just ordered one from Sonoran Steel. Same price ($88) as everyone else paid. Can't wait to put it on. And I measure mine and it's sitting at just a hair under 17".

Is it worth putting up on a lift to drill the A-arms? I have access to one for like $5 an hour.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

I did mine laying in the drive way in about 30 minutes, buy a very good drill bit and step it up in size (small hole first, then fullsize hole 2nd) take your time and get goggles or a full face shield. I did get a few shavings stuck in my back. run your drill on a medium slow speed with steady pressure. I used a floor jack to hold mine in tight while I drilled.
have fun!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

I have run both the Downey and Sonoran Truss and Steve's is by far a better product. I liked it so much I now make it available with our kits. Even if you are just mild wheeling it doesn't take much to spread those arms. I know, I did it one one of my first trips out and had to drive 2.5 hours home with the front wheels pointing in. It is the best money mod you can spend on IFS.