Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

whats better and why, 3.0 V6 or 22re?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my vote 22R 4banger

I had a V6
yes there great but a pain to work on

the 22r famly of motors are just sweet when you get them running right they purrrrr
Old 02-21-2008, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i advanced my timing and i noticed that my exhaust manifold are glowing red after driving for awhile does anyone have any clues on what that could be and if it may be a very bad problem im sure i need to put the timing back to stock butim getting 19 miles to the gallon and it has alot more power and is running great the temp gauge reads normal by the way it is a 3.0
Old 02-22-2008, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by yotaman8819
i advanced my timing and i noticed that my exhaust manifold are glowing red after driving for awhile does anyone have any clues on what that could be and if it may be a very bad problem im sure i need to put the timing back to stock butim getting 19 miles to the gallon and it has alot more power and is running great the temp gauge reads normal by the way it is a 3.0

it sounds like your running too lean and your going to burn valves real quick the way your going.

and my vote is for the 22re, its reliable and easy to work on. although i dont have any experience with the 3.0 so i cant really compare.

Last edited by notanymore; 02-22-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:21 PM

ahhh! I'd back it off. Glowing exhaust manifolds is a bad thing. How much did you advance it?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:27 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...s-22re-114231/
Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 PM

I don't know if there's anypoint in me responding because there are so many comments but I find the 22re to be better in a lot of way's. The v6 overheats easier and is harder to get fixed and easier to have things go wrong in though it's still a yota so there really isn't much to complain about but I drive a 90 4x4 with a 22re and my dad has a 90 4runner 4x4 with the v6. I can out accelerate him and get the same high speed. I have more torque, and can tow just as much or more. I also get about 6 miles per gallon better than him and my timings off and my valves need to be adjusted badly.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:46 AM

Heres my two cents, I have an 85 4Runner DD\Offroader and had a 93 4Runner DD, they both ran about the same speeds on the freeway, the 3.0 did not feel like it had any more power than the 22R when driving around town (22R had 5 Speed, 3.0 had automatic) and the 22R is nuch easier to work on. The 93 4Runner was rear ended and declared a total so I replaced it with a 99 4Runner with the 3.4 V6, now this engine has some power. I am still dumfounded when I see post from people trying to get more power out of their 3.4, this engine is very powerful for it size and get s decent gas milage to boot. P.S. the 22R got better gas mileage than the 3.0
Old 03-19-2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by toyota hunter 07
just got a 88 p/u v6 3.0 92k original mi. runs great ...but i have the infamous cold start issue runs great when warm starts when warm but ...takes a few tries when really cold out....so i pulled the cold start injector ..bench tested it by putting 12v to it and it worked fine heard it pick and checked it for flow.... #1 question i tested for 12v at injector plug nothing...i jumped the cold start sensor still nothing ...of course w/ the ignition key on ....should there be 12v present at injector plug when you jump sensor leads....#2 at the sensor it seems to be normally closed when cold and also reads closed when hot ?i guess this works as a simple dry switch closed cold opens hot if this switch was bad why is power not present at the injector when jumped ....i checked all fuses...i do have a engine light but i think its from the o2 sensor the jerk at the muffler shop welded a exhaust leak right at the o2 sensor to pass inspection ...after that i had the engine light...but i had the cold start issues before that ...can any one help??????

Make a new thread.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:29 AM

i advanced my timing and i noticed that my exhaust manifold are glowing red after driving for awhile does anyone have any clues on what that could be
lmao

Rob
Old 03-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Jay on this one...

the 22RE is the little engine that could. It is a mystical magical engine that can take anything and NEVER breaks down...

Truth be told, it has a fair amount of failure rates too. Start looking and you'll find just as many timing chain issues with the 22RE as you will head gasket issues with the 3VZE. then look at 22RE head gasket issues... They are just as troublesome as the 3VZE.

Now, get a Pre 1990/91 3VZE with asbestos head gaskets, and you really won't have much of a problem.. I've got nearly 190k on my OEM head gaskets, and they've never been touched... Factory.

22RE is indeed a fine engine, its very reliable, but so is the 3VZE. I'm so tired of the 3VZE getting a bad rep, as it really isn't that bad of a motor underneath it all...

Bottom line is the 3VZE is not better, nor worse than the 22RE. If one were to give each of the engines a TRUE and FAIR analyzes, they'd come to find that each has their strengths and weaknesses. But at the end of the day, in this owner's opinion, they both pretty much balance out.

I've owned them both, and own them both again, and I can tell you, I'd prefer the 3VZE even with an auto tragic and over-sized tires over the 22RE with a 5spd as far as power. Its there! and the 22RE is actually kind of gutless at low RPM's, whereas the 3VZE makes more torque at idle than the 22RE does at peak... Its not at all the horse power numbers that count on the trail, its the torque my friends.

Buy it though. if you are used to power, then the 22RE may disappoint you, but if you are on a budget, you may appreciate the kinder fuel economy. Personally, I'm going to swap out my 22RE for a 7MGTE, same as/better fuel economy, and a s*%tload more power than the 22RE or the 3VZE. win/win situation in my opinion.

to reiterate my idea, niether is really better than the other on a level playing field. it really all depends on what you are looking for from the vehicle. Then and only then can you claim one is superior to the other.

just my worthless $.02 ...
Old 03-19-2008, 11:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i've always felt the differences between the two motors were just for debate purposes only. Sure, the v6 has more power and the 4cyl gets better mileage, IF THEY WERE IN IDENTICAL TRUCK SETUPS. But since the stuff we typically modify on these trucks affects their performance so much, it makes comparing kind of silly. A 22re with stock size tires will outrun a v6 with oversized tires that hasn't been regeared. A v6 will get better mileage than a 22re with oversized tires yada yada.

What are you gonna use that newly acquired truck for? How are you going to set it up? Do you expect to do a lot of work yourself, on the trail as well? Those choices will determine how quick or how durable your truck is, regardless of the powerplant.

Because both of these motors are good toyota designs, with routine maintenance (regular oil & filter changes!) either will be good to you for a long time, so long as they dont have some hidden damage already existing.

If you're simply trying to choose which truck to keep cuz you can only have one, and you want to keep the best parts from both for you and sell the other, well the best thing to do there is a compression check and dyno test to see how healthy each one is independently. Compare your 22re to other 22re's and v6 to other v6's, not each other. I'd take a healthy 22re over a weak cylindered v6, right?

Good luck with your new rig!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:11 AM

well said

Very well put. I agree totally. Take care of your truck no matter what you have and it will take care of you.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:06 PM

I vote 22r. Of course I will because I haven't ever had the 3.0, but they have been great engines. I have driven three trucks with these in them and they have never given me any problems besides timing chain issues. First truck the chain broke, and back then I didn't have the knowledge I have now to diagnose it, so we got another, my 4x4! I rolled it and after sitting on it's side for 20+ minutes we got it flipped back over and it cranked right back up. Of course there was blue smoke because the oil got past the rings, yada yada yada. The third I got free from my grandpa and I had to replace the chain on it. But I haven't had any other problems. all three trucks were manual and all three trucks had different amounts of torque. It's all in the gears (that I just learned about, thanks guys for clearing that stuff up ) So I guess when I get my 4runner going I'll see what the 22re is like. Hopefully I'll like it even more!

Last edited by hmmwv15; 03-26-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:53 PM

i have it back at 10 degrees now and they still glow not near as bad but they glow the check engine light is on for the egr
Old 04-30-2008, 09:57 PM

f you i dont see anything funny
Old 04-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member

f you i dont see anything funny
way to hijack a thread.......

in all honesty the 3vze is a great motor yeah thats right i said it flame away. expensive to work on, but still a reliable motor and some get decent mileage mine got over 22mpg

personally i prefer a 22r. the wife and i are looking for a 22re 2nd gen 4runner but having no luck finding the right one so might have to go with a 3vze. i have owned both
Old 04-30-2008, 11:16 PM

I want to ditto the 22re love. I had one, loved it. Have a v6, love it.. but the 22r serious is really the engine that made toyota the reliabilty king. To prove it, I had a buddy(car idiot by the way) who had one. Had an oil leak, locked it up out one weekend becuase he forgot to check his oil level. Towed it home, put oil it it. TOOK the biggest bar to that crankshaft to free it up, almost broke my body doing it. Started up. STILL RUNNING. Granted he dosent drive it everyday, but its a 88 still running.

The auto was weak, but reliable. I had the manual and for 99% of what I was doing, was perfect. Its certianly not a tower by any means, but with a little TLC will outlive the crap toyota makes today(thats right I SAID IT)
Old 04-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GVOLCRunner
but with a little TLC will outlive the crap toyota makes today(thats right I SAID IT)
I agree.... i hate what toyota is doing. quality is taking a dive
Old 04-30-2008, 11:29 PM

Theres actually a ford commercial where they say, NOW as reliable as toyota.. it made me think about an article I read about how for literally the past 25 years consumer reports and various other reliabilty rating firms gave toyota their awards without waiting there pre-req times they did for new fords and others. Toyota's were simply just reliable.. it was expected. The article was stating, that do to an incredible jump in issues with the new breed, in particular the crap LARGE tundra that looks horrible and so UNTOYOTA like; they no longer waived the waiting period.

Hum, anyone else see the connection. Ford = toyota, not becuase ford got better but becuase toyota has gone down. BOOO!!!
Old 04-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

yep... i actually work for a tow company and we tow a lot of new toys for weird problems, not starting, transmission problems same goes with honda. i'm not impressed we have a 03 civic and its a pile runs ok but the interior is falling apart.. looking to get back into a 2nd gen 4runner. ill take a 3vze over this new crap any day

Quick Reply: whats better and why, 3.0 V6 or 22re?