Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

what does power washing the engine do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what does power washing the engine do?

i was reading that some people clean their engine through power washing and scrubbing, i was wondering what does this do? better performance?

also i was wanting to do this for some time, what do i need to do before i start cleaning the engine? its a 1999 4runner sr5 with 250k miles on it..is that too old to clean?

so i take out the battery. do i need to take anything else up? can i drive it right after waashing? do i blow dry it with power blow dryer?

thanks
Old 09-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's just part of cleaning the vehicle. Why do you clean your wheels, or undercarriage? It is nice to be able to check the oil or other things and be able to touch various components without getting filthy.

I don't do anything before cleaning my engine, but if you have any places in your exhaust manifold or on the intake side that may allow water in you should cover those. Maybe cover your ignition or distributor if you want.

Don't take the battery out. Yes you can drive it right after. I usually go to the car wash to do it, and when I'm done I just drive out of the bay and go on my way. I've never done anything to dry mine, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

Also, once it's clean, if you want to make all the plastic and rubber shine, just spray some armor all or the like all over everything and then just close the hood and let it soak in. I like that because it conditions parts like hoses and what not, and makes them last longer.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Just use the light spray over things like the electronics and just use the hard spray for parts that water won't have a negative effect on.

I do mine at least once a year.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:17 AM

Since you are using a power washer, watch out where you use the high pressure to blast. Don't let the pressurized water come into contact with the electronic or other sensitive parts. I would leave the engine running while doing this too, so that the water dries out quicker after you are finished. Also, you don't need to remove the battery while doing this.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:19 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
the 1st answer i could think of is that it becomes easier to see if you have a leak ("hey when i cleaned it, there was no leak.....) and be able to identify where it comes from.

i would avaoid the high pressure stuff and use a simple green or something like that and rinse away with norma hose water pressure. i kow others will disagree, but when i used GUNK, not only did it smell real funky and oily,but it also made some stuff strange colors (maybe it was my technique) so i woud just stick to simple green. i know once we used dow bathroom cleaner on a family members wheelchair and some bikes and never had a problem but never used that on an engine (ie: Scrubbing Bubbles)...but i'm sure that would be fine snce it's OK on delicate fiberglass showers and stuff like that.

i honestly don't thnk there is any benefit to it other than cosmetic or convenience (not getting so filthy checking things)
Old 09-22-2009, 01:46 PM

Talking

When I did mine I just went to the car wash and sprayed my engine down. I covered my distributor and my fuses with a plastic bag. I use the a light spray around these mainly not to nock the bags off, and around any other parts u dont think should be sprayed hard. Then I just hose the rest down. Then i kinda whip it off and go back home. Then the final step and funniest is to go and get it all dirty again
Old 09-22-2009, 02:03 PM

I washed mine a couple a weeks ago. My engine did not like it. I did it because I like to keep my stuff clean. My vehicle immediately starting throwing trouble codes. I only used a garden hose with no sharp stream. It probably took 20 miles of driving to get it all dried out. It's fine now but I was a little spooked at first.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Steam Cleaning works the best..

i power wash mine all the time..just to keep an eye out for leaks ya know!

but when it gets real dirty...get that dude steam cleaned!!!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

A clean engine runs cooler and works less harder albiet not by much but still enough to make a diff in the long haul. The other benefits are it's easier to see a leak (as pointed out) and a clean engine is much nicer when you have to do some work on it.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:38 PM

after 217k miles i have never clean my engine. So I went to that store in Fife, WA whose name rymes with Rio.

I was in a complacent mood so I followed the instructions. I open hosed the engine. Sprayed with degreaser. waited 10 minutes. hosed the engine. Holy cow it worked. I resprayed degreaser the areas that I didn't take seriously. The area around the oil filler, under the unders, behind the behinds, 10 minutes, spray. Good Lord I should have done this 217k miles ago. Finished off with some silicone dressing aerosol spray. Best money spent Griots.

Dont clean a hot engine.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:12 PM

I pressure washed my engine while the truck was running and the next day when i turned my rig on to go to work my check engine light came on. The mechanic said the MAF sensor needs to be cleaned. A few days later the check engine light turned off by itself but then came on later that afternoon. Its been like that for 2 weeks now (on off on off on). Im going to get some electronic parts cleaner and clean out that sensor. Hopefully that will help keep the check engine light off.

Be carefull with the pressure washer people!!! Specially around the MAF sensor.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:33 PM

I ruined an alternator pressure washing, so be careful. I would cover it and probably your distributor with platic bags or something
Old 09-29-2009, 04:21 PM

iv never cleaned my engine but one factor i would keep in mind is not to use cold water on a hot engine. then u get a cracked block. i don't know how easy it would be for that to happen but it could i suppose.