Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Waterpump? For your entertainment and my help/sanity

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waterpump? For your entertainment and my help/sanity

Well guys,

I guess my Yota is just having her time of the month. Starting issues = new fuel filter (now that was a pita but got it done in 3 hours) and now I think my waterpump is having some issues.

I had to stay at my office late to get some work taken care of, leave and drive to the GF's work to see if we are going out for a late dinner. I pull into the parking lot and get out of my truck and hear a nice "Whoosh, hiss, sputter, sputter, hisssswhosssh" and I go "What the hell is that (mid thought it hits me) @#$# coolant leak!".

Steam starts coming from under the hood so I pop it and it is steaming like crazy from the front of the engine, coolant is everywhere. I start looking to see if it's the top hose but noooo it doesn't seem to be. Take the truck home and wait till daybreak so I can see.

If I leave the radiator cap off then it doesn't leak but put it on and let it build pressure and blam water running down the right/front of my engine.

Here are the questions!

1.How hard is it to replace the 3.0 waterpump (looking at my Haynes now), and might as well do the T-belt too right?
2. How hard is it to line everything up correctly when done?
3. Is there a decent priced kit somewhere to get the T-belt and waterpump at the same time? Or should I just go ahead and buy em seperate?
4. Can it be done with the radiator in the truck?
5. Can i whack something under there with a wrench to relieve stress?
I dun wanna break anything else though.. so something that can withstand a wrench whack, though I'm sure it'll bloody a couple knuckles doing this job (we do have an abusive relationship, me and my truck).
Old 07-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Sounds like its time to replace some parts.

I would do timing belt, waterpump, thermostat, upper and lower hose, and your front accessory belts.

1. Its fairly easy, just takes a little time and the right tools. Getting the crank bolt off/on is going to be the toughest part without air,
2. Super easy, toyota matchmarks everything, making it super easy.
3. Nobody makes a kit, but i would suggest factory parts. PM me and I will see how much I can get it all to you for (i can get discount genuine Toyota parts)
4.Take the radiator out. Trust me, not taking out the 4 bolts is not worth the damage you could do to it and the $150+ to replace it
5. No, nothing to whack in there. its not like a starter
Old 07-29-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Screamsalvation
Well guys,
Here are the questions!

1.How hard is it to replace the 3.0 waterpump (looking at my Haynes now), and might as well do the T-belt too right?
2. How hard is it to line everything up correctly when done?
3. Is there a decent priced kit somewhere to get the T-belt and waterpump at the same time? Or should I just go ahead and buy em seperate?
4. Can it be done with the radiator in the truck?
5. Can i whack something under there with a wrench to relieve stress?
I just did this a few weekends ago in a parking lot. If you gather the right tools it goes pretty easy.

1. Download the FSM from a stickie here. My haynes didn't help me at all
2. Lining everything up is easy if you follow the FSM. After you put the belt on you rotate everything a few times and make sure the marks and all the cams/sprockets line up.
3. I bought everything at NAPA for around $300. There are also some good vendors and people to get parts from around here.
4. Take the radiator out. Its just six bolts and you have to drain it anyway. It you have any golf tees they work great to plug the two AT lines so AT fluid doesn't leak out everywhere.

To loosen the crank bolt without air tools I used a breaker bar and a piece of steel from lowes.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the reassuring words

Just sucks at the moment, just bought another car that has some issues and fixing it up for a DD so I can tear into the Toyota and do everything I want (bedlined interior, interior work, engine in the future one day, etc). Well that car needs a waterpump and various other parts and then the toyota smacks me around some too. LOL but guess that's life.

I am debating purchasing a small air compressor and borrowing some air tools for the GF's dad, he has a huge compressor in his garage but no space to work on the truck there, so borrow his tools for the time being and get a small compressor if need be.

PM about to be sent DeathCougar. Thinking about starting to tear into it tonight though the cash for the parts will not be arriving till pay day Thurs. (sucks working for county government, 1 pay day a month).
Old 07-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
PM sent back
Old 08-08-2008, 04:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure that you can do the timing belt on the 3.0L at all without taking the radiator off. I just did mine this week and was hoping to leave the radiator on like when I did the water pump on my 2002, but I couldn't even get the fan off without removing the radiator. My rad's pretty thick though, so maybe it's been replaced with a different one than was on there stock.

You may need a puller to get the crankshaft pulley off. Mine was on there pretty tight. After you've loosened the crank bolt, If you don't have a puller, you can make a piece similar to the picture dirtyXplorer posted above, 6 inches long or so will suffice, but you'll want to bolt it to two holes that are opposite each other instead of two that are side by side like in the picture (you want the piece to pass directly over the head of the crank bolt.) Start by backing the crank bolt out 3/4 of the way, bolt your new "tool" on the crank pulley with bolts that are longer than the stock PS pulley bolts and of the same thread (snug up the bolts so that the "tool" is held snug against the head of the crank bolt), then use an open end wrench to back out the crank bolt. This will back the pulley out off of the crank shaft for you without damaging it.