Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

tire question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire question

Ive got my 04 taco trd 4x4 xtra cab. currently everything is stock as far as this question is concerned but Im wanting to add the biggest widest tires that will fit and not rub. I BELEIVE that a 31.5 is the tallest tire that will fit without any mod but not real sure and i have no idea how wide of a tire i could get in there. So heres my questions:

A. what is the tallest and widest tire I can put on my truck without any mods?

B. what is the tallest and widest tire I can put under her if I installed a 3inch BODY lift?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hate to say it--but this has been covered in depth--really in depth. search
Old 02-25-2009, 12:21 PM

yeah i hate to say it but I can find nothing helpful. all i find is the same question with no straight answer. most of the answers that I find are exactly what you said or ppl whining because someone else is asking it. if you know of a specific thread or website I could find the answer on I would appreciate it
Old 02-25-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
33x10.50 or 32x11.50 31x11.50. it also depends on the backspacing on your wheels
Old 02-25-2009, 12:58 PM

thanks yoder. that helps. I really have never heard the term backspacing. Ive never done anything like this before so im pretty clueless ill admit. any info on that would be helpful. like how i can determine that on the wheels i own? they are not stock wheels btw. im sure i will have to get new wheels to accomplish what i want here anyhow. Thanks again.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:18 PM

A) You can't fit 33's without a lot of trimming or lifting (perhaps on the older Toyota's you could, but not on the Tacomas). You can go 265/75/16's without mods or trimming. That's about the wide/tall you can go.

B) Why would you want to do a 3" BODY lift??? Do a proper lift.

Last edited by cackalak han; 02-25-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:09 PM

Well like i said im learning here and obviosly Im getting different opinions and Ive been told that a body lift will give me the clearance for the tires without comprimising my ride near as much and will also cost a fraction of what a suspension lift will cost me. Also the body lift doesnt seem too terribly complicated so I could do that myself. The suspension on the other hand Im a bit intimidated by so that would be additional cost to have it done. Im not really trying to get ground clearance or height. im actually pretty satisfied with all that. I just want some beefier tires without having to pay a million bucks or chop my truck up too much.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:09 PM

Do you take your truck offroad or anything? If its just a pavement pounder/dirt road truck then I don't see the problem with a body lift. It just puts your center of gravity higher so you would have to be more careful around corners
Old 02-25-2009, 06:40 PM

I do take it offroading. Ive never had any ground clearance issues with anything I do as the truck has miles of it already. My skidplate has a few scrapes but its rare. So I take it you done recommend the body lift. I always thought the body lift was a cheap way to get the look. I just want beefier tires and thought it would be the easy way to get something under me. I always see a guy in town with my truck but some hella wide tires but i can never catch him parked so I can check the size. I really dont have a ton of cash to be throwing into it either so I may settle with some 31s as wide as I can clear. Id really like to get away with keeping the wheels I have already but im not sure if thats gonna work out. they are 17inch wheels. thats as much as I know about them.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:17 PM

sounds like you would be fine with a body lift.. as for the tires I have no idea
Old 02-25-2009, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by fotografer85
I do take it offroading. Ive never had any ground clearance issues with anything I do as the truck has miles of it already. My skidplate has a few scrapes but its rare. So I take it you done recommend the body lift. I always thought the body lift was a cheap way to get the look. I just want beefier tires and thought it would be the easy way to get something under me. I always see a guy in town with my truck but some hella wide tires but i can never catch him parked so I can check the size. I really dont have a ton of cash to be throwing into it either so I may settle with some 31s as wide as I can clear. Id really like to get away with keeping the wheels I have already but im not sure if thats gonna work out. they are 17inch wheels. thats as much as I know about them.
Hey Fotografer, Im kind of in the same boat, I actually put a 3" body lift on my 01 taco a little while ago for much the same reason as you are wanting it vs.the suspension lift....Tire clearance, low cost, and just overall look. I have heard many times on here that "Body lifts suck", "you need to be careful when doing it" etc....While i do recommend being careful with em, They aren't that bad if you mainly just drive it on pavement or occasionally lightly offraod. Im still saving for the tires i want, but i would Say 32's would be your best bet, you might get rub though at full turn. Try some wheel spacers, i put on 1.5's on each wheel, it helps give a little wider look, and helps combat the "Top Heavy" issue with a body lift. Just my newdie advice tho....
Old 02-26-2009, 01:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know where you guys have been reading, but it seems to me that more people suggest body lifts than suspension lifts on this forum. They actually dont cause as high of COG than a suspension lift. Why? Body lifts raise ONLY the body, whereas suspension lifts raise engine, frame, body, suspension components, fuel tank, tranny, etc. Its good to keep the suspension as stock as possible for light-medium wheeling. Get a 2" BL, and some larger tires. What gives you the best ground clearance is taller tires, not suspension lifts. I'm not saying suspension lifts are a no go, but body lifts are just as good, if not better. They are cheaper and don't put stress on your suspension and drivetrain.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with 4x4907. Nothing necessarily wrong with a body lift. I had one on my last truck and my only complaint was I didn't have gap guards and I got a lot of muddy splash up into my engine compartment. But, the truck handled a bit top heavy but, no worse than any susp. lift I've tried. But like any mod. Take your time with the install and get it right. Any mod done wrong is worthless when it comes back to bite ya! I'd also recommend gap guards!! Have fun!