Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Rear axle swap question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear axle swap question

Hello all, first post.

I'm a former wrench out of it for a decade or so, but taking on the job of taking care of my landlord's fleet of (various) trucks in my spare time.

He's somehow blown out the ring gear in his T-100 and was just wondering where to find info on just how swappable toy rear axles were model to model and year to year.

There was a time when I could tell you what fit what over a 40 year period worth of American iron, but my Toyota knowledge ends around the early 80's.

I'm not going to bother with repairing the center section - the truck in question in an early 00's a yard beater and I intend to swap in whatever $100 toy axle with whatever ratio (and whatever bolt pattern and brakes) will fit from the boneyard, but I'm looking for a 2 hour bolt in - not having to relocate spring pads, etc.

Although the question is a bit general and vague, generally did these axles have long production runs or were the mounting points often changed. Were there major changeover years, or were they haphazard. Did platform crossovers tend to use the same axle housing (ie, 4 runner and T-100).

At a glance, Toy axles seem to follow the ford 9 inch overall concept of axle design - a center section that bolted in complete with pinion - and presumably the axle shafts (semi floating on this one) retained by the bearings (as opposed to clips). This would suggest that an axle with different mounts might still be a viable choice (as no pinion setup would be required, and the section would just bolt into the housing), but again - then stuck on how many different spline counts might have been used, and weather the retaining plates all used the same bolt pattern or not.

Any help would be appreciated. So far the abuse, damage, and former ham fisted 'repairs' to the other vehicles I've started on, have beaten me down with surprises (such as an Izuzu that has had the caliper pistons hammered in place to the point of being mushroomed and a slider bolt welded in place) making me look like a bit of a clown as none are actually getting finished.

Want to start calling the bone yards in the AM, butknow what model and year range I can inquire for parts.

Thank you for reading this post.
Jim.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/#T100-Tundra

Yank a compatible 3rd member and put it into the truck needing the repair. Typically 4 bolts per side hold the brake backing plates and axle shafts in place, disconnect brake likes and slide out the axle shafts a few inches. Drain gear oil, remove 4 bolts on pinion flange to separate the drive shaft, 10 nuts hold the 3rd member in place, pull it out and reverse the process to re-install it.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the reply - the procedure won't be an issue, but still not sure what alternate models and year range I'll be able to ask for should the boneyard not have the same year T-100. Or did they only use only one track width, backing plate (bolt) pattern, spline count, and third member (bolt) pattern across all the truck models? Surely not.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Murphy's law
Thanks for the reply - the procedure won't be an issue, but still not sure what alternate models and year range I'll be able to ask for should the boneyard not have the same year T-100. Or did they only use only one track width, backing plate (bolt) pattern, spline count, and third member (bolt) pattern across all the truck models? Surely not.
This:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/#T100-Tundra
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And the top of that page:
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/
Old 09-21-2012, 09:16 PM

Excellent info at a glance - will pour through it. Thanks much.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:17 PM

Excellent info at a glance, will pour through it. thanks much!