Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Which one should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which one should I buy?

Ok guys, First off, I'm new here...so take it easy.

I need a little

I am a resident of San Antonio, TX , which as most people know is just a few hours away from the TX Coast.

Once or twice a month I make a voyage down padre island national seashore in search of big sharks and other fish which we target from the beach. There is 60miles of beach which we drive, one way, and it can be as smooth as glass, or it can have 50miles of soft powder sand requiring 4-low. In other words, it can be a sunday drive or hell on a vehicle. A lot of you TX guys are probably familiar with the beach.

My question is this; Between the two following vehicles, which one should I buy?

The first one is a 1985 LandCruiser, 4 spd, straight 6cyl. Everything works on it except the A/C, compressor or AC clutch is no good. The tires are new, engine was rebuilt by toyota approximately 60k miles ago. The front axle has had all of the seals rebuilt, interior is in above average shape. The exterior has the usual minor rust, but nothing major as it has been a tx vehicle all it's life. The carb has also been rebuilt. This vehicle is for $2500.00

The second one is a 1990 4runner, 4door, Auto. The exterior is in great shape except a dent in the bumper (minor). The interior is clean, and all windows are functioning. Everything appears to be in operating condition. The tires are in good shape, slightly oversized.
The engine has had several maintenance items replaced, including but not limited to an alternator, water pump, tensioner, dist cap, plugs, wires, mass air meter, t-body cleaned, radiator, etc. However, the heater hose on the back of the engine had a pinhole, caused the engine to get warm, and I assume blew a headgasket (although I can't confirm this). After the heater hose was replaced, the owner realized there was larger problems. He said he probably put 30-40miles on it, just adding coolant, after this had happened. The engine runs and the truck drives as is, but the oil is the typical coolant/oil milk shake. The 4wd and auto tranny seem to function just fine. It engages in 4HI and 4LO smoothly, and the tranny seemed to go into all gears, although I didn't take it over 15mph and only drove 300yds because I didn't want to hurt the engine any more than it already had been.
This vehicle is for sale for $1000.00

The 4runner seems to be the better idea because it's newer and in better overall shape, other than the headgasket. I've only got $2500 to spend total, so I think I'd be better off putting some money into the 4runner and going with it. The Land Cruisers are awesome, geared well for the sand, and just cool classics. But, parts are getting harder and harder to find, and the creature comforts aren't nearly as nice.

However, what are the odds that something else is ruined inside the 4Runner engine due to the overheat? How much money can I expect to dump into it just for the headgasket?

Thanks in advance.
Shawn
Old 01-26-2006, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member

85 Land Cruiser!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

You may have more probs down the road w/ the runner. You should also consider the amount of space the two trucks have so if you need more, then the LC makes more sense. Unless you're mechanically inclined, I would probably stay away from the runner.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:16 AM

I am probably 'above average' in the mechanically inclined category. I've restored a few mustangs (5.0L, easy, but still..), changed heads/intakes/water pumps/oil pumps, etc...so a few headgaskets don't concern me. My biggest worry is other internal problems due to being run a few miles after the 'sludge' was in the engine. If I put $1000.00 into it initially, I should be able to have it road ready for well under $2000.00 total. Everything else is good, except that.

As for the Land Cruiser - they are getting older, and parts are getting harder to find. Is there a 'parts source' for restoration of these vehicles? Also, what is the 1985, which 'model'? I'm not familiar with the FJ60,62,80, etc...so I'm not sure how to research on it.

Here's the ad on the landcruiser:

1985 Toyota Lancruiser

For sale 1985 Toyota LandCruiser with custom built front bumper and built in rod rack. Straight 6cyl 4 speed manual, brand new 31'tires and wheels, 2 spare tires, front differential seals replaced no leaks, new clutch slave and master cylinder, new add a leafs in the rear. Rebuilt carb 6 months ago, new battery, new windshield, new shocks. Has been to Pins a couple of times and is geared really well for the sand. I have all the original service records since it was brand new. Engine was rebuilt by Toyota with less than 100k on it and it has about 170k on it now. Has a/c but compressor clutch is out. Has some rust but nothing major in the normal spots. Starts and runs strong will go anywhere.

here's a few pics of the land-cruiser (it has been used as a fishing/hunting vehicle before, hence the weird front bumper with fishing rod holders.).

Thanks
Shawn
Old 01-26-2006, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

Buy both :-P
Old 01-26-2006, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

check out the FAQ on www.ih8mud.com

they have the breakdown of the various LC models
Old 01-26-2006, 06:53 AM

It's definitely an FJ60...

I'm still thinking the 4Runner is a good deal...hard to pass on it though because it's so clean.

I wish I new a little more about head gasket replacement costs

What do you all do to get the 'sludge' out of the engine once you've replaced the headgaskets?

Thanks
Shawn
Old 01-26-2006, 07:01 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Simple Green? :monkey:
Old 01-26-2006, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Check to see with Toyota if the 4Runner's headgaskets are covered by the recall. Just go to the local dealership and give them the VIN number. Or you can call the Toyota HQ at 1-800-331-4331 and give them the VIN number.

I really like FJ60s, but I really like 4Runners too. My '90 4Runner has been pretty good for me. I've spent about $800 total in parts the last 4 years, and it has almost 200k miles on it. Has a few quirks right now, but nothing major. Does need some brake work though.

Not sure about your sludge question.

That's a tough call. What about gas mileage? Does the FJ60 get worse mileage than the 4runner?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:21 AM

The FJ60 gets between 10-15mpg depending on how well tuned it is, from what I've read.

I think the 4runner in tip top shape will get 17-18, correct?

You have to remember though, it will be going through sand with a lot of gear on it, so mileage will be suffering on both. The one with better gearing will prevail in that debate, most likely.

I'm having trouble making this call...I almost feel better with the 4runner due to it's condition. The FJ60 has some rust, as usual, although I am pretty sure it's minor (I haven't been underneath it yet).

I'll check on the recall once I get the VIN.

Thanks,

SQ
Old 01-26-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy the LC tune up any minor rust etc and bring it up here and more then double you rmoney selling it. I wish I could find one for that price. Cheepest I've seen is like $10k, one in minty shape is worth close to $15k.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:49 AM

The headgasket has been replaced on the 4 runner previously. Obviously they didn't mill the heads or they are just 'that bad'.

I plan to look at the land cruiser, hopefully this weekend or this evening. Will post more detailed info on the cruiser once I inspect it a little more.

Thanks for the info.

For comparison's sake, here's the 4-Runner in question:

Thanks
Shawn
Old 01-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Some people here have gooton new small blocks out of the head gasket recall. So I would be worried that the block may have been damaged. just a thought. That LC looks nice for an 85. If you decide on the 4Runner, I would definitely talk him down to at least $700. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I vote for the Landcruiser no doubt. If it was a first gen 4Runner I may change my mind.

The Landruiser is a manual transmission as well, that Landcruiser looks to be in pretty good shape IMHO.

If the 4Runner is a 3.0 and an auto it will be a dog, trust me I know, I have one.

Landcruisers go for some serious bank on ebay.

Last edited by gohawks; 01-26-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:29 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would go with the LandCruiser, especially if it has the locking diffs (which I believe were an option in '85 - might be mistaken though). The nice thing about carbureted engines is they are so easy to work on - no ECU to ruin your day and screw with your head! If it's not running right, it's your fault!
Old 01-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

go with the LC.

(re: 4runner) "The engine runs and the truck drives as is, but the oil is the typical coolant/oil milk shake" --- sounds like the 4runner may be primed for some issues, literally, down the road.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:29 AM

Well guys, I ended up buying the 4Runner...go figure! It was actually bought from a member of YotaTech. He had been on here a while back and 'gave-up' after losing the headgasket. He put a lot of maintenance work into it, spent a lot of money, and then the headgasket popped and he was tired of spending time/money on it. Here's the thread he posted:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/hanging-up-my-hat-76008/

The majority of you chose the Land Cruiser, and I was leaning that way until I drove it around a while. It has been a while since it has seen the street, and the cost of the maintenance work it will need will almost equal the cost of a head gasket/rebuild on the 3VZE in the 4Runner. The tires were brand new, but had been dry rotted from sitting, and flat spotted. They will need replacement. The brakes are sub-par, and would need replacement. The A/C is preferred, and would need a compressor. The rust is mostly cosmetic, but still a big deterrent in my decision. Overall, the Land Cruiser would be more of a project than the 4runner, and less of a comfortable driver once finished. It cost more initially, would've cost me more in sales tax, all state stickers are expired, etc. Although, they are sweet rigs and I'd love to own one some day.

With that said, I'll be repairing the headgasket and any other internal problems on the 4runner. I plan to be doing the labor myself, so I should be able to keep the cost down somewhat. The machining I obviously have to farm out, but I am capable and experienced enough to do the labor on my own. Once I pull the heads off, I'll go ahead and check the shortblock and rebuild it if there is a slight chance that I would be doing it anway in the near future. May as well do it all while it's apart, right?!?!

Please expect and help out on the questions to come. I've torn into a lot of fords and GM products, but never a toyota...should be interesting.

Any threads for engine removal that detail all of the minor things I need to look out for? I'm probably pulling the whole engine just to give it a better once over.

Thanks
Shawn
Old 01-30-2006, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

that's funny, i remember reading the seller's original "hanging up my hat" thread some time ago and comparing all the items he'd replaced to what i've done on mine thus far.

i completely understand how frustrating it can get when you're working a list of upgrades/repairs and it seems that as you cross an item off you're simply adding another to the bottom of the list. i just try to spare myself the illusion that i'll ever be (truly) "done" and just feel good about what movement in a positive direction i can make.

good luck with the runner! you'll likely be stylin' after the HG issue gets resolved!
Old 01-30-2006, 07:11 AM

I picked it up for $1000.

Worst case, I should be able to part out the vehicle or resell 'as-is' for the same amount of money.

The tires are brand new as well, which he failed to mention.

It's a very clean '90 model, which had a lot to do with me wanting it. Worst case, I'll do an engine swap.

Now, how often are blocks warped after a head or headgasket failure?

The leak seems to be in the passenger front cylinder, this is #1 I suppose? I glanced at the firing order and piston numbers, but didn't memorize them.

I'm looking forward to it either way. If it ends up working out in the long run, great! If not, I'll find something else!

Plans as of now are:

Repair engine (weather it requires just a head gasket and head re-working, or a complete long block).
Pull carpet and seats out and replace the carpet with rhino liner. Re-install seats or purchase plastic buckets
Remove running boards.
Build front and rear bumpers, side steps, and roof rack.
Install transmission cooler - if it doesn't have one already (do they come factory with one?)

Thanks for the help.

SQ
Old 02-16-2006, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you'll end up wishing you'd bought the Cruiser. Hope it works out, though.

Ed

Quick Reply: Which one should I buy?