Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Oil Pressure Sending Unit problems

Old 05-24-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Pressure Gauge Problem

I am also trying to get my oil pressure gauge (not idiot light) to work. Am converting the instrument cluster in my 1987 Toyota Pickup (22-R with carb, 2 WD, 5 Spd) from basic cluster to one with gauges and tachometer. So far, everything works, except the oil pressure gauge. I removed the oil pressure switch and installed a new Toyota oil pressure sensor (part # 8350-35032). So far, the gauge needle rests at or near zero. I made up a test light as specified in Toyota Factory Service Manual using a 3.4 watt bulb (#194). Connecting the test light to the wire for the sensor and ground, the gauge needle goes up to the 4th of 5 marks, so the wiring and gauge seem to be OK. Connecting the test light to the pressure sensor and the battery + terminal, and the light goes very slowly on and then off. The manual says it should blink and faster as engine RPM increases (but it doesn't seem to do so). Any suggestions?
Old 09-29-2021, 03:58 AM

About your oil pressure gauge operation....

When converting your oil pressure indicator light (i.e. "idiot light") to an analogue gauge, it is important to NOT use the original oil pressure switch that was used with the light. This is even more important if you have bought an original (enhanced)Toyota instrument cluster that has a tachometer, etc. If you use the original pressure switch with the the enhanced gauge cluster, you'll burn out the oil pressure gauge! Assuming you are converting to the enhanced Toyota instrument cluster (you did not say), you will need to replace the oil pressure switch with a Toyota oil pressure SENSOR that I recommend buying from your local Toyota dealer parts department (yes, its probably still available). I have found by experience that aftermarket sensors probably will not work with the Toyota instrument cluster. The Toyota part number that I bought for my 1987 22-R is 83520-35032. After trying to save a dollar when I upgraded my instrument cluster and finding three aftermarket sensors to be "junk", I finally put in a Toyota sensor and my gauge started working immediately! Also, you will have to run a wire from the ignition coil for your tachometer if you need to do that. I found similar results when overhauling my A/C system (there also, aftermarket stuff was just not worth trying).
Old 09-29-2021, 04:08 AM

About your oil pressure gauge operation....

When converting your oil pressure indicator light (i.e. "idiot light") to an analogue gauge, it is important to NOT use the original oil pressure switch that was used with the light. This is even more important if you have bought an original (enhanced)Toyota instrument cluster that has a tachometer, etc. If you use the original pressure switch with the the enhanced gauge cluster, you'll burn out the oil pressure gauge! When you are converting to the enhanced Toyota instrument cluster, you will need to replace the oil pressure switch with a Toyota oil pressure SENSOR that I recommend buying from your local Toyota dealer parts department (yes, its probably still available). I have found by experience that aftermarket sensors probably will not work with the Toyota instrument cluster. The Toyota part number that I bought for my 1987 22-R is 83520-35032. After trying to save a dollar when I upgraded my instrument cluster and finding three aftermarket sensors to be "junk", I finally put in a Toyota sensor and my gauge started working immediately! Also, you will have to run a wire from the ignition coil for your tachometer if you need to do that. I found similar results when overhauling my A/C system (there also, aftermarket stuff was just not worth trying).
Old 09-29-2021, 04:17 AM

Your Owners Manual says to use either 10W-40 or 20W-50, depending on climate and time of year. You should also get a mechanical gauge and "test" your engine oil pressure. Simply attach the test gauge in the same hole where your oil pressure sensor goes on your engine block (right below the oil filter). It should read (according to the FSM) 4.3 PSI at idle and 36-71 PSI at 3000 RPM. If you get this result with a test gauge, then your oil pressure sensor or the wire attached to it is suspect. And have you checked that wire to the sensor is still attached to the sensor?