Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

offroading/mudding spots in PA

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
offroading/mudding spots in PA

Living in philadelphia is pretty bad when it comes to offroading. i cant tell you how many times ive looked for spots to wheel in my area (phila/south NJ). im hoping i havent been looking hard enough because i hate having to duck the cops and leaving the very few fields after every short run, not to mention how illegal some spots are.

so if anyone on here is familiar with this area please tell me where a few spots are around here.
i am totally up for a day trip one weekend!!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.paohv.org/
Old 03-22-2009, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by 89needsatranny
Living in philadelphia is pretty bad when it comes to offroading.
Tell that to the guys that travel from several states away to get to here:

http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/
Old 03-22-2009, 04:12 PM

that rausch creek looks sweet and is only like 2.5 hours away but im only 17 and i doubt mom will drive up just to sign stupid papers.

the other downside is the 2 vehicle minimum limit. doubt my friend will want to get his pretty blue bronco dirty.

i wanna go so bad now!!!!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:30 PM

I don't know what the under 18 rules are, but it's always a good idea to wheel with at least one other vehicle anyway. You just missed a trip of a bunch of YT'rs who went yesterday. Keep an eye on the trip planning forum.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:42 PM

You can go into the Pine Barrens in NJ. There is a Ranger Station in Wharton State Forest, I do believe they have a listing of places you can wheel legally. The Pines offer a lot though, lots of miles of space, not sure if I saved the link, I will look and repost if I saved it
Old 03-22-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by [N8]
Tell that to the guys that travel from several states away to get to here:

http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/
As someone who was born, raised, and lived most of my life in PA I have never understood paying someone to use land for any recreation when there are tons of spots to go for free.
PA is littered with old abandoned quarries that usually have 100's of acres surrounding them and they abound in lots of challenging terrain.
Some of the spots have flooded quarries so big that boats and jet skis show up during the summer.
Most of this land IS abandoned and can't be reclaimed for housing without considerable expense, technically its trespassing but if no one complains and there are dozens of other people whats the harm?

Head out towards Pottsville (where they make Yuengling) or up towards Stoudsburg or Hazleton.....lots of trails.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:16 PM

alot of us wheel here in SJ and all over out of state, let me know if you ever want to come out. i work in west philly and im in south philly all the time, you prolly seen my 4runner around
Old 03-22-2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Booosted Supra
alot of us wheel here in SJ and all over out of state, let me know if you ever want to come out. i work in west philly and im in south philly all the time, you prolly seen my 4runner around
yeah definately. im in the northeast right now, i can see the tacony bridge from my house lol. so south jersey is right out back.

and yeah.... im just really looking for spots the locals hit up. like fastkevman said about the quarries.

pm me some directions and we can stay in touch and meet up some weekend.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by fastkevman
As someone who was born, raised, and lived most of my life in PA I have never understood paying someone to use land for any recreation when there are tons of spots to go for free.
PA is littered with old abandoned quarries that usually have 100's of acres surrounding them and they abound in lots of challenging terrain.
Some of the spots have flooded quarries so big that boats and jet skis show up during the summer.
Most of this land IS abandoned and can't be reclaimed for housing without considerable expense, technically its trespassing but if no one complains and there are dozens of other people whats the harm?

Head out towards Pottsville (where they make Yuengling) or up towards Stoudsburg or Hazleton.....lots of trails.
I don't know that to be the case because I'm not from up north and I've only recently started "wheeling" my 4runner. When I was young I had dirt bikes & ATV's and went to several places up that way such as Tower City and Mt Carmel. Now I hear Tower City is much like Rausch Creek - pay to play. I'm sure there are a ton of places to go that I don't know of.

Regardless, all of this reinforces the fact that there are plenty of places to go in PA & surrounding areas. There are a lot worse places to live if you're into offroading of any sort.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:23 PM

I used to live like 2 hours north of there, in the Poconos. TONS of open land to just go out and get in trouble in. Quarries, Stae Game Lands and all. If you decide to head north that way I could help ya out.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by [N8]
I don't know that to be the case because I'm not from up north and I've only recently started "wheeling" my 4runner. When I was young I had dirt bikes & ATV's and went to several places up that way such as Tower City and Mt Carmel. Now I hear Tower City is much like Rausch Creek - pay to play. I'm sure there are a ton of places to go that I don't know of.

Regardless, all of this reinforces the fact that there are plenty of places to go in PA & surrounding areas. There are a lot worse places to live if you're into offroading of any sort.
Not sure about Tower City but, Mt Carmel area still has a lot to offer as far as "free wheeling".
There are some guys up that way with turboed paddle-tired VW buggies that are very entertaining.....they do some unbelievable hillclimbs carrying the front wheels most of the way but never flipping.

Guys on PA TTORA will know all the hotspots, try posting there.

Places like Rausch Creek are better left for big events or camping at a secure site.

I do camp on occasion at the quarries with friends but, we pack some serious fire-power, night time can get interesting when the drunken locals show up.

I would suggest that you never wheel alone no matter where you end up going.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:45 PM

hey twisted turbo, im actually spending a few days up the poconos after prom with like 20+ friends (apr. 17)!! pm me some general directions of some spots. our house is in albrightsville.

that will make my week if i could end it with a little wheeling with the girl!!!
maybe i wont drink as much so i can go wheel...
Old 03-22-2009, 06:50 PM

[QUOTE=fastkevman;
Guys on PA TTORA will know all the hotspots, try posting there. [/QUOTE]

thanks il try that too!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fastkevman
As someone who was born, raised, and lived most of my life in PA I have never understood paying someone to use land for
Pay to use a park because "technically" its legal and there is no question. You are also paying to keep land clean and depending on if its a state park, it goes to the state, to keep it clean and provide you with more safe, "legal" places to wheel.

Whats the big deal in donating a few bucks to state parks? I'm sure there could be some sort of legal action taken against you as well, if you hurt yourself or someone else on private property, either by owners or insurance. Just an opinion, I know it goes on, but consider the consequences.

Last edited by stagger_lee; 03-23-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:16 PM

i definately agree!

but what i don't get is why my fishing license cost me 32 dollars to renew!!! i mean i pay to fish in public rivers , lakes, and creeks for what? i KNOW they don't clean the ones around here.
off topic but i figured we were through with talking about wheeling spots for now...