Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Newbie SAS 101

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie SAS 101

ok so i am semi new to whelling .......wait nvm i am completly new to wheeling i do know that the main weakness on an 86 yota truck i the ifs it is a killer i want to go sas but have no clue where to start and how to do such a thing i was wondering if there are any step by step project guide out there for someone who isnt that canny on turning wrenches
Old 06-16-2010, 06:29 AM

No step by step guides...No picture books...no nothing. Basically....you surf on Marlin crawler, pirate4x4, and yotatech....use the search button on any questions you have...and learn for a good 6 months before you even start. Buy the axle...learn about it...then after about a year...start buying all your parts, and go for the swap. You will get far with IFS. It's limit is flex...doesn't mean it doesn't wheel. I've wheeled the bleep out of mine...and had no issues..other than it doesn't flex. Living in an area where we gt tons of snow..and have thick woods...i want to have a truck thats more capable. didn't wanna lock my ifs front..blah blah blah. Thus...swap in a week!

Took me a good year to be comfortable enough to do this. ( i came from drag racing with no wheeling in my background at ALLL)

Hope this helps

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 06-16-2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Moved to new thread
Old 06-16-2010, 07:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check out the Build Up Section, you will find lots of good information there.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:40 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Someone else just said this better than I am going to, but the reason why there probably isn't any write up on doin an SAS, is the fact every one regardless of the year, body style etc, is different.

88'22re is right on the money with his reply. I am very comfortable turning wrenches and what not, however, when it comes to fabrication, well, let say I am a true redneck. NO skills, I do whatever it takes for something to work. lol.

To me an SAS is very intimidating. Especially when I don't know how to weld. Personally, with what the cost is to do the swap, I would just wait and find an 84-85 or truck to buy, that already has the solid axles and build that up and use my IFS truck for any of the good parts. Especially when I have a rebuilt motor, brand new fenders etc etc. that will swap right over. This would be a different story if you had the 89-95 body style that are different and hardly anything related will swap over.

This would be a little different if you had an 89-95 though. DIfferent body stle.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
If you've never wheeled before, why do you want to make a SAS your first mod?

Have you even tried wheeling the truck with IFS?
Old 06-16-2010, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah i agree with whats you both said. i have had the SAS bug for over a year now and have been surfing all over yotatech about SAS and how it all works and if its worth it exc... it is lol and i am glad i have taken my time researching before jumping into it and i am almost ready to SAS. hopfully by the end of summer i will be, but there is no way i would be able to do it without YT because i have no friends who are into 4x4ing and fabing stuff lol.

take your time and learn your rig, it will be better in the long run.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by az4x4runner
If you've never wheeled before, why do you want to make a SAS your first mod?

Have you even tried wheeling the truck with IFS?
wheeling with IFS will make you a much better wheeler before you jump over to SFA. If i were you, depending on what you have already, id throw some 33s and wheel the bleep out of it. thats how youll really learn to wheel, then once you get a SFA, itll take a little getting used to, but youll be a pro just my .02
Old 06-16-2010, 07:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 87yotabro87
wheeling with IFS will make you a much better wheeler before you jump over to SFA. If i were you, depending on what you have already, id throw some 33s and wheel the bleep out of it. thats how youll really learn to wheel, then once you get a SFA, itll take a little getting used to, but youll be a pro just my .02
My IFS has taken me almost everywhere I've wanted to go, everywhere if I just had a locker or two. It has still managed to get me into trouble though..

Only mods I've done to my IFS is low profile bumpstops and threw a Downey truss on it. Never any problems.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:56 AM

oh yah and a front/rear locked IFS truck will pretty much go anywhere an open/open SAS rig will go with the same amount of clearance/tire size. Each style has it's own cons, IFS = flex = might wheel on 3 wheels, that can be solved by locking the diffs. SAS = well BIRFs BIRFs BIRFs = loss of 4WD and downgrade to 3WD if you lucky the fronts will even trun after breaking one. No real fix for that without using top of the line ones, and even then, I have seen top dollar ones brake.

Correct me if I am wrong here, aren't the IFS CVs actually stronger/more reliable than your standard BIRFs?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

So let me get this straight... Your completely new to wheeling, you have no clue what a SAS does, how to do it, or anything about it for that matter. But you think you need it????? Let me guess a buddy said dude you should SAS that thing!! A bone stock Toyota on some decent 31's will take you farther than your probably ready to go at this point. Add a locker to the rear and your set. I've personally seen lots of IFS trucks make it through the Rubicon which is one of the gnarliest trails there is. I've seen 89silverPU tackle trails and make it look easy with 33's and a rear locker that are straight up insane. After you've wheeled for a few years and broke every piece of your IFS multiple times then I'd consider a SAS. Till then make some effort to educate yourself.. all the info is here all you have to do is put forth a tiny bit of effort and read it. Finally go learn how to wheel.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i agree with joey... i think i SAS'ed my rig too soon, i sas'ed before i was locked.. lock the rear end, throw bumpers, sliders and belly armor on it and wheel the holy bajesus out of it... then SAS.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:19 AM

Whoa I just noticed something, nobody is saying SAS or swap in a 3.4 !!!!! That's a new one.

Sorry had to be said. lol
Old 06-16-2010, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tofer
i agree with joey... i think i SAS'ed my rig too soon, i sas'ed before i was locked.. lock the rear end, throw bumpers, sliders and belly armor on it and wheel the holy bajesus out of it... then SAS.
I did the same thing but I wheeled mine open open on 33's for 7 years. I SASed mine after finding out I could not even get to most of the trailheads of the trails I wanted to wheel with my rig the way it was when I moved from WA to Norcal. There's no shortage of rocks where we wheel out here.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 AM

i laugh how people are so worried about if people need SAS? what if people just want SAS? lol reason i bought a toyota is because i love solid axle lifted yotas lol. IFS doesnt look cool so even if you are a noob and dont wheel to your ifs limits, and want to SAS, who cares? reason for me to sas- i have wheeled my ifs on 31"s for a year and personaly dont like how unsafe it can get when your on 3 wheels all the time, i dont like how lifted ifs looks with the big block of braket lift and who wants a ugly body lift? i may not need SAS and this guy might not ether but really who cares? im SASing for the stableness and i stright up like the look of a solid axle under my truck and running iroks am i wrong?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:53 AM

Take the 3 wheel out of the equation because him being completely new to wheeling he is not gonna have enough gall to put him self through something that is gonna put him on 3 wheels to begin with. If he does then he deserves to flop his rig. and who says you need to bracket lift an IFS anyway. You can go to at least 35's without even considering a bracket lift. Also being new he isn't gonna go through (at least he shouldn't) anything where he is gonna need those 35's.

Wanting for stability etc is understandable (in reality you do need and not want). But Wanting for the sake of looks, well that's another story. To me it's a waste of money.

Just wait and see, hopefully my instincts are right and I will have a video of me doing something on 31's open/open and not flopping my rig in less than 2 weeks.

this is what I am going to attempt: (as a side note, this guy used to much power he didn't really need and wold have had an easier time not using as much throttle.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgQ0kJhu7ks

and just to prove a point, Jeep Solid Axle broken Ball joint on the same trial.

think I need SAS to go up this? I didn't when coming down it, and neither did LINY's 4Runner

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 06-16-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

A person with a rig far more capable than their driving ability is asking for trouble. I have my own plane and fly into some crazy backcountry strips and I've seen the same thing with that. People will buy the top of the line airplane with big tires and think they can go anywhere and do anything because of their equipment. These are the guys you read about that end up flying into the side of a mountain. The equipment does you NO good if you don't know how to use it.

I've had to rescue more than one person and fix their rig for them because they had more money than brains on the trail. It clogs up the trail and more often than not ends with them on their lid. If you have 5 grand to drop on SASing your rig because you think it looks cool by all means go for it. Just stay the heck out of my and everyone elses way when your on the trail.

Last edited by UKMyers; 06-16-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:05 AM

well yes he is new and he might not have got it on 3 wheels yet, but he will lol.

sure you can run 35"s with no lift lol look at RE RE. but lift is nice too and you just cant get the height out of ifs that you can with solid axle. i presonaly think bracket lifts are super dangerous, you dont gain much travel and your center or gravity gets even higher?

stability is my main reason but i love the look of sas too. like seriously who SAS's and doesnt say ( man my truck looks mean with that solid axle) ? IFS doesnt look cool at all unless its long travel total chaos lol

xxxtreme22r how did you end up buying/ getting into toyotas? did you like hoe they looked before you knew everything about them? im sure you heard how toyotas were impossible to destroy and you like how they looked? right? lol idk about you but first time i saw a 85 4runner on 37" super swapmers and that solid axle under it, i was like omg what was that? hahaha

i wish the op would actually post back here again? maybe he read through the thread and is now re thinking what he said lol
Old 06-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
He's more than welcome to SAS if he wants the look to a SFA.. i'm more than happy to sell him a TG sas kit (let me know when you sas i'll hook you up)... but i am trying to save him a little cash if hes thinking that he wont be able to go anywhere if he has IFS.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:10 AM

that brings me to thinking of what one guy has told me that owns a yota, You shouldn't underestimate the capabilities of your rig AND never ever overestimate your driving abilities. The only proper way to do this is to start slow. In the above mentioned trail, I did just that, underestimated the abilities of my stock rig why? Never really had it out wheeling. My bronco that I had well that's another story. I didn't have enough confidence in my rig to attempt this trail other than going down that above mentioned hill. And even then this same person "talked" me into going down the harder of the 3 downhills. Even surprised LINY on the way.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:13 AM

UKMyers you make a good point and yes it can be annoying when guys break their rig and dont know or arent prepared to fix it. the second poster went through most of the whole "experiance" part and thats a big part of it. everyone told me to wheel my ifs and get used to it. i did and now im tired of it. i total agree that this guy should take some time and have fun with the ifs then re think SAS but he hasnt really given justifyable information on his real plans yet so i waiting for him to re post.

for me atleast i feal very confident in my ability to handle my vehical and know what i can and cant do. thats part of alot of peoples problems when they wheel, they dont know how to run lines and when to quit and stay out of peoples way. i go wheeling and let the built rigs pass me and i take her slow and always bring a buddy to spot for me. best way imo. iv been riding quads, dirtbikes, the who 9 yards and am very educated on how to control motor vehicals. even when im bored i take my rc rock crawler out and observe how it handles and i think thats is also a great way to understand 4x4ing and how the who aspect works.

Quick Reply: Newbie SAS 101