Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Loud squealing until I rev the engine...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud squealing until I rev the engine...

When I start up my 86 22re 4Runner it emits a REALLY loud squealing noise until I rev the engine a bit, then it goes away. What should I look into for finding the source of this squeal. It's really loud but I can't seem to pinpoint it.

I picked up a Haynes repair manual and a FSM, but I don't see anythign in their troubleshooting area that points me to this type of problem.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 PM

accessory belts
Old 09-21-2009, 08:40 PM

Might wanna put some new belts on /or try tighten the old ones to see if it goes away. If it goes away tho u might as well change ur belts depending on how many miles are on them.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 PM

Check the power steering pulley bearing also.

Best way to find where it's coming from is to buy a stethescope - 5 bucks at Harbor/ 8 bucks at Autozone - then have somebody rev up the engine while you go around and start touching any possible source of the noise. Like what I said -start with the steering pulley - not the moving part - touch something near it.
Caution!! be very very carefull doing this!!! stay away from moving parts.Caution!!

hth
Old 09-21-2009, 09:59 PM

Yep for sure the belts. This is true on any vehicle. I had a 88' Honda Crx once that used to do that for about a week, until one day the alternator belt snapped lol. Apparently it was corroding away and started to burn and just snapped. So I suggest checking all belt for any cracking or wear so you dont end up stranded one day
Old 09-21-2009, 11:01 PM

yes x2 once my power steering bearing seized it was abit scarey as it happend on a corner its was a very cheap half hour fix
Old 09-21-2009, 11:59 PM

I had a water pump do this as well.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a belt tensioner go out and make the same noise.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:03 AM

I;ve had a pulley or belt screaming at me for MONTHS! I have replaced both tensioners with no luck. I guess I have to the alternator pulley next.

I have a stethoscope but I cant tell whats what with it.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Madmaxb
Might wanna put some new belts on /or try tighten the old ones to see if it goes away. If it goes away tho u might as well change ur belts depending on how many miles are on them.

Replace them if you havent already. ^^^ Dont tighten the out of them to get them to stop squealing, not a good idea...
Old 09-24-2009, 04:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It sound like your water pump is going out.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyEye
Replace them if you havent already. ^^^ Dont tighten the out of them to get them to stop squealing, not a good idea...
Yes, do it now or at least buy the belts and carry tools. If its a new sound, your belt in question has probably stretched some as it is getting ready to give out completely. Tightening a bad belt just accelerates its ultimate failure which can leave you stranded.

You can drive without power steering although it is tougher than O.E manual steering and for quite a while without an alternator, but you can't go on without a belt turning the water pump. Well you could, but you can do some serious damage if you do.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:12 PM

I have some what the same problem. It makes a whining squeal until i push the clutch in, then it goes away. I replaced the radiator and noticed the antifreeze is brown. Did some heavy wheeling and mudding a week ago. Replaced all the belts and tension is good, about 1/2 inch deflection. I was thinking maybe the Water pump bearing but when i press the clutch in, even just a little bit, the sound goes away. What do you guys think?
Ryan
Old 09-25-2009, 06:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It could be a bad throw out bearing.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:21 AM

So its not the water pump, which i thought. It is the Throw out bearing,,,,,,,Good call Myyota. Went to advanced auto parts and my GF's Dad's garage, and they both pointed me to the throw out bearing. Now today, Instead of it stop making noise when i push the clutch in, It makes noise when i push it in and does'nt make noise when driving.

I Also checked trans fluid to find out it only had about 1 quart in the trans, and also looked Metalic when drained. Is this from the Pressure plate? the book calls for 5 quarts but it only fit 4 then it started pouring out the fill hole. Now the transmission Is really hard to shift in first, and dang near impossible to shift in reverse.

Priced $131.95 for the clutch plate,throw out bearing, pilot bearing, and aligment tool. It'll be put in this week, im just not looking forward the yanking drive shaft, cross member, transfer case, and transmission, in the rain on wet ground today. Thanks, RYan
Old 09-27-2009, 09:54 PM

belts lol my dads truck used to do that
Old 09-28-2009, 08:32 AM

I replaced all belts a couple days ago, Sorry didn't mention it. All i know is i cant shift, and the clutch is really messed up. The clutch pedal is bouncing back and forth when i push on it. I've been doing alot of reading this morning and later on today im going to check the condition of the master and slave cylinder first, check fluid levels and check for leaks. I Know the clutch is bad, but don't want to over look anything else. I Found out that the metal color i seen in the fluid is normal, its normal wear. anyway, I'll stop threw tomorrow.

Last edited by Yotaontherise; 09-28-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Yotaontherise
I have some what the same problem. It makes a whining squeal until i push the clutch in, then it goes away. I replaced the radiator and noticed the antifreeze is brown. Did some heavy wheeling and mudding a week ago. Replaced all the belts and tension is good, about 1/2 inch deflection. I was thinking maybe the Water pump bearing but when i press the clutch in, even just a little bit, the sound goes away. What do you guys think?
Ryan
Toyota O.E. coolant is brown.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:02 PM

So I picked up new belts, and ended up getting all 3. They turned out to be all different belts. However, when I try and fit the belts on the vehicle. The alternator belt goes on fine... but the next one (not sure it's name) the one in the middle. That one just doesn't fit. I'm wondering if the parts catalog was wrong, or if I am doing something wrong. It won't go over 2 of the 3 wheels. Let alone all 3.

It does seem like the alternator belt would go good on both of them if I had two of it though. I don't want to get another alternator belt if I'm doing something wrong.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:33 PM

So I found out I had the "wrong" belt. So I went up to get them to swap out for the right belt. Brought it home and it is closer but that sucker still won't fit! I'm at my wits end here. I got the first belt on trying to get this middle belt on so I can get my truck back together and see if it still starts up! I never found the engine drain plug for the coolant either. I took off the radiator and fan anyway though so I could get to these belts easier.

Quick Reply: Loud squealing until I rev the engine...