Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

How do you ......

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 01:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
How do you ......

Well you will be able to tell I am definately a 'newbie'. I have seen quite a few posts on lifts, suspension, sagging rear springs etc but not understanding everything that has been posted. So I did a search just like you ole regulars suggested, but still can not find anything that really tells me or shows me "how to" take care of the remedy the sagging springs issue and what the advanges are to undertaking some of these projects. The tech write up section has NOTHING that I could find on such undertakings, but then again I may have missed it. Now that I vented (lol) let me ask a question. Just remember this, none of us had the savy knowledge level with our trucks when we first started as you may have now after many years of tinkering!

Here is my newer baby: 1995 4Runner - Stock - 90k on the odometer, 3.0 V6 manual 5 speed. I would really like to hear about the rear springs issue but also HOW to replace them, with what and why? I would most likely go crusin my local wrecking yard as I have gotten some really great deals from some of these guys so let me know what I need to look for, what to watch out for, things to avoid etc.

I have read so much about Land Crusier coils, fronts, rears, Gen 3, Gen 2, OME, QRS, 9 1/2 by Nebraska 14 Oklahoma 13 ...

So help me out here. There is sooo much knowledge here in this group and I want to learn and then contribute as well. There is some really good stuff, but even using search, I can't really find what I need without spending hours sorting through it all and I don't even really know what I am looking for except I want to make my truck look better, handle better and ride better without having to go hungry for a month. So some help in understanding what I need to do and what I need, would be HUGE! Thanks for everyone who understands that a little knowledge is a good thing.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
no a little knowledge is a bad thing... you think you know all there is but have no clue as to the hole picture

anyway... id spend the month eating while you read through countless threads learning and saving your pennies. as the right answer is never cheep.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first off there are multiple threads on 2nd gen rear springs. I learnt how to deal with mine here through searching. Found some good write ups as well on how to do it. I ended up using OME springs - they were affordable - you can also get OEM springs at autovalue. I wouldn't get wrekers ones as they would have the same sag issue.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found this n the tech section to get you started:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128/downey-coils-bilstein-shocks-2nd-gen-4runner-76341/

If you read some of the threads about the rear springs there are more instructions & tricks to shortcut on doing the rear springs - get a comfy chair & start reading my friend - tons of info out there.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the starting point as I tried to find some things that would be related but I guess I just didn't put in quite the right combination of words to search. Was an interesting read, but as I mentioned if there are any more advice on tricks or tips for springs I would love to hear about them. Still nothing on the issue of using Land Cruiser springs. Would like to know the reason for getting LC springs to replace my 4 Runner springs. What is the reason and what is recommended? thanks again.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:13 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Um - you obviously haven't read enough.

If you JUST want to level it out, LC springs will probably be too tall. I went with the Eibach ProKit springs, and they ride very nice. There are a couple others out there too that will give you the 1.5" - 2" lift over your current sagged springs to make the rear slightly higher than the front.