Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Hesitation/Shudder/Loss of Power.... Please help me pin point my problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitation/Shudder/Loss of Power.... Please help me pin point my problem

Hey guys,
I have spent the last week searching YT trying to find my answer but most of the related threads have questions and some answers but no one actually updates and says what worked for them.

So, my problem started a month ago with a simple infrequent hesitation when I am cruising at a constant speed then slowly developed to a full out constant shudder with loss of power and some rough idle (seems like slow idling to me)

I did the TPS adjustment and that did not fix the hesitation.

I changed the spark plugs and soon after it started with the shudder and loss of power. I have made sure that the spark plug wires are connected properly and all that.

From my search, I know that there are a few options that are on the table (EGR, O2 sensor, Idle Timing....etc) but I need help from you to work out what should I try and fix first based on my symptoms.

I was looking under the hood yesterday and found something that will obviously be fixed (see pictures). But would this be (or part of) the reason of my issues?
Picture1
Picture2
Picture3
I would really appreciate any help that you may offer me and promise to post my results once I figure out what it is so others can actually benefit from this thread.

Last edited by Soccernut; 01-21-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:25 AM

Bump...
Old 01-24-2011, 07:00 AM

I noticed the aftermarket wires... That'd be the first thing to throw away, along with the cap, and rotor. Go with factory parts and the quality/performance is never a question. Same goes with the spark plugs. Once the plugs are out, do a compression test to see where they are at, and it may lead to something and it may not. Additionally these old school motors need valve adjustments quite often. (I do mine once a year) When all of those are crossed off the list, I'd start digging elsewhere, unless you have a check engine code stored?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:07 AM

^^ what he said haha Aftermarket stuff will always fall short of factory. But ya do what he said, and also replace your EGR, O2 censor, and idle timing while your at it. Wont hurt to.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The part in the picture is called a resonator, just clean it off and use some epoxy or jb weld and it will be good as new. I don`t know if it being cracked would cause any problems or not. If you replace the 02 sensor get a Denso 02 sensor, its an oem part, Bosch 02 sensors don`t work well in toyotas. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed ?. What brand of spark plugs and wires did you get ?. Our engines run better with oem tune up parts. Also check all of the rubber vacuum hoses for cracks or vacuum leaks.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:28 AM

I used bosch spark plugs. This happened soon after I replaced the plugs. I can understand your argument about OEM parts but this much difference in performance?
Old 01-26-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Soccernut
I used bosch spark plugs. This happened soon after I replaced the plugs. I can understand your argument about OEM parts but this much difference in performance?
Sometimes, buy a set of stock replacement plugs and see what happens.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:35 PM

Hesitation and bucking in 1st 2nd 4th and 5th gears

I have a 93 toyota pickup with 3.0 and 5 speed manual trans. Lately its been giving me some troubles. In 1st gear it is really sluggish and wont get over 10 mph until you floor it and then it throws you back in the seat. Then in 2nd gear at about half throtle it bucks or lurches until you let out of the gas completely and then give more gas or just floor it again. And then at 50-55 mph if i let off the gas the slightest bit it starts the same thing as in 2nd gear. I changed the spark plugs out with ngk plugs and had to replace one of the wires due to breaking one of the originals while replacing the plugs. Two of the plugs were extremely dirty. The truck ran like a brand new one for about a week and now its back to the same thing. I am changing the rest of the wires today or tomorrow. If the wires aren't my problem could it be because the plugs aren't oem? also, when I bought the truck the previous owner had cut the cats out and had it strait piped to the bumper. I added a muffler (looks like a 55 gal barrel) and left the dual pipes from the muffler back. it currently does not have a cat. would a cat help with towing? I pull a single axle 14 ft trailer with my 72" zero turn mower. it pulls fine but I would love to have a little more power.

Last edited by bluelineyota; 08-25-2014 at 12:09 AM.