Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Help finding the correct 22r carb rebuild kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help finding the correct 22r carb rebuild kit

Hey guys, I'm new to forums and found this one to be helpful on a few other topics. I'm having an issue finding the proper rebuild kit for my 84 pick up with a 22r. I know Napa has them but they also have 3 different carb kits for my model truck. They list that you need to find your carb id tag to be sure which to get. I've also called Toyota and talked to their tech guys and they said that with m VIN number that my truck is fuel injected, not carbureted. So know I'm really lost.

So i guess my main question is: how to I find my carb id tag, and where is the best place to get a rebuild kit. Also, should I consider buying any additional parts ( float, needles, etc) Thank you.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by specialized0587
I've also called Toyota and talked to their tech guys and they said that with m VIN number that my truck is fuel injected, not carbureted. So know I'm really lost.
A pic of your engine would tell us in one second what you have.

Or, if you have a large round air cleaner housing to the left (passenger) side of the valve cover, then you have a carburetor.

If you have a narrow aluminum rectangle device in the same spot, you have fuel injection.

So i guess my main question is: how to I find my carb id tag
The tag is on the front left corner of the carburetor. Above and to the left of the sight glass.

I attached a picture of my carburetor tag, but I don't know if the website will put it in the right spot or at the very end. OK, I see it, it's at the very end. It's a bad picture as it doesn't show the tag in the the general area of the carb.

and where is the best place to get a rebuild kit.
I bought mine at Autozone.

Also, should I consider buying any additional parts ( float, needles, etc)
The kit will come with the float, float needle assembly, power valve, but not the power piston which is just a rigid rod, gaskets. Hmmm...what else?

Here's a picture of the Autozone kit.

Attached Thumbnails Help finding the correct 22r carb rebuild kit-dscn1848-copy.jpg  

Last edited by slow-mo; 08-01-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks slow-mo. I do know that it is carbureted. I should have posted that but it was goofy that Toyota said that for my VIN it is listed as fuel injected. I;ll post a picture anyway just to make sure I'm not out of my mind. Thank you for the location of my ID tag. I was looking up some kits from Napa and they were very specific on making sure to have the proper tag number before you order any of their kits. I will check for the tag number and get back to you.

Thanks again

Help finding the correct 22r carb rebuild kit-img_104333.jpg
Old 08-02-2012, 11:18 AM

Yep, you definitely have a carburetor.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also new to the forum, and would like to tag onto this thread...I bought a rebuild kit from NAPA that does not include a power valve, which is of course, the one thing that broke during disassembly. I see that the AutoZone kit you (Slo-Mo) posted includes one...the kit fits within all the parameters of my carb, except the VIN #...

I guess my question would be, how might I find out if the AutoZone kit might still work with my carb? They also have kits that do go with my VIN #, but don't include a power valve

Thanks
Old 10-23-2015, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by TheGrits
I guess my question would be, how might I find out if the AutoZone kit might still work with my carb? They also have kits that do go with my VIN #, but don't include a power valve
The power valve part number is 21304-61060. According to the parts fiche, it covers the Aisin carburetor 1984-1988. It does not look like Toyota changed the power valve during those times, since there are no other part numbers showing. So any kit that has the power valve should work.

A possible difference between the different VINs is from a California model, to a Federal model, and possibly a model that has the high altitude compensator (HAC) apparatus to the carb, but the HAC is only a speculation. I do know that the main jet is different between the California model (like what I had) and the Federal.

Last edited by slow-mo; 10-23-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Problem is, that the power valve by its self is like $35.00... So they are not included in most kits.

grey

Last edited by greyheadedguy; 07-16-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Clarify thought