Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Hard to start when ambient temperature rises

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey thanks man! Maybe I didn't want to buy a new one. . . little pricey O.o The ones on eBay are going for roughly $30 so maybe i'll just get a used one, or two. There is a return policy so i'll just try out a used one, thanks though man!
Old 04-01-2012, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I haven't had the money to do anything lately but I get paid Friday so I could start this process. I pulled the CSI and checked it out one day, I was bored. I cleaned it as best I could and put it back in but did NOT connect the harness. I figured if it's stuck open, doesn't matter. The problem persisted which bugged me. So two things happened today that could possibly screw up my entire theory. . .

1. It snowed last night so it was below freezing this morning. I went to start my truck and it did not want to start. It took about six tries and each time it sounded like it was grinding (the sound you get when your truck is on and you turn it over.) It finally started and idled fine. This is the first true, cold start since i unplugged it. It was almost like the injector wasn't getting fuel? Or was closed. The harness was also unplugged during this time. Could that mean that my CSI is opening and closing fine but since I didn't have it connected to the time switch, it was closed while trying to start? Meaning my CSI is in working order but my time switch could be off?

2. My buddy told me today that I need to get my hands on a Fuel Pressure Gauge. he said start the truck up and see if the readings are up to par, whatever they are. Then turn it off, if the needle remains neutral then you don't have a problem with the injector. If the needle starts to drop, then you may have a leaking injector. I may have phrased that wrong but along those lines. He definitely knows his way around a car but isn't to familiar with Toyotas. He said try it in the morning when the engine and the ambient temp are cold, then warmed up, then cold engine but warm ambient temp. The cold engine but warm ambient temp is where I have the problem so that's where the best data would come from. Does anyone have any input on this?