Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Is this a good Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a good Alternator?

I got a 91 pickup with a 22re. My Alternator still works, but I want to replace it soon so I don't have problems in the future. I was shopping around and found a new Quality-Built Alternator for $85, which isn't much more than a remanufactured Denso, which is $60 plus tax and shipping, plus shipping the core back to the online retailer. I could also get a Bosch for $20 plus tax and shipping both ways.

The Quality-Built Alternator is made by a company called MPA (motorcar parts of america) and their factory is located in Mexico. http://www.motorcarparts.com/

So is this a good alternator, or should I get a remanufacterd Denso, or would I be fine with the cheap Bosch?
Old 03-24-2011, 04:41 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Get the TG bracket kit and upgrade to a GM alternator.

If you want to stay stock, go get one from a local parts store and then you dont have to pay shipping at all.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:00 AM

why would I need a bigger alternator? I don't plan on adding anything. If the GM one last longer, and doesn't cost much more then I would be interested.

I thought it was better to get oem parts then the ones at the part store. I heard those ones tend to have a short life span.

And the new Quality-Build Alternator has free shipping and no sales tax, no core return, and its the same price or cheaper than the remanufactured ones at the part store.

Last edited by giantjoebot; 03-24-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:04 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
You can get a GM alt out of a scrap yard for cheap. but if you dont need it, then you dont need it.

If you want OEM parts, then why are you considering the Bosh or MPA ones?

Have you tested your alternator? Is it dying? Dont fix it if it isnt broken.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would stick with denso for the alternator. I have never replaced a denso alternator on all the work trucks my dad's construction company uses. The only thing we've ever had to do is clean it up really good, check the bearing for play...usually they are good, and replace the brush holder assembly with new brushes. They are usually $15.00 from the dealership.

I always tell people, never get rid of the denso alternator...ever.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:48 AM

That is a lot cheaper than a new alternator. I saw a tutorial on rebuilding an alternator. I might give that a try.

The reason that I was thinking of replacing it was I have a squeal, like the one from a belt. Replaced the belt, but didn't fix it. I did some searching online, and I'm pretty sure that a bearing is going out someplace. It could be the cheap fan clutch that I just put in. So I ordered a new oem fan clutch, water pump, and a few other parts. I figure the alternator is on the same belt as the water pump, and if the water pump is going out then the alternator might need replacing soon. But like you said the brush and bearing are whats going to go out in the alternator, and if I can rebuild it for cheap, then all the better

It kind of sucks because they have brush sets for $5 and bearings for $6 on partsgeek.com, and I just placed a large order. Oh well, I need to order some more stuff latter.

Last edited by giantjoebot; 03-24-2011 at 09:53 AM.