Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Engine trys to start but wont fire, newbie to this

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine trys to start but wont fire, newbie to this

***Please Help***

I recently bought a 91 Toyo 4wd 5spd. I bought for a project truck and drove it home. It came factory with a efi 22re but was swapped with a 22r carb for some reason and there is alot of rigged things that dont seem right but needless to say it drove and drove home. Needed some TLC so i changed plugs, wires, dist cap, rot button, pcv valve, oil change and filter, radiator flush, dropped fuel tank and completely cleaned it out and put new fuel in it and flushed all the lines and ran sea foam in it as well. Ran alot better after that but sittle had a bump in the idle. Drove for 4 or 5 days with no problems at all, parked it two nights ago and yesterday morning ended up flooding it because it wouldn't fire, engine rotates but no fire. some part of the fuel line is ran into the battery for power and there is a switch ran from there to inside the cab to turn fuel on and off. There was no noises when i parked it just turned it off and went inside like normal and then nothing the next morning. I dont know where to start, i bought the book from the parts house but they use alot of foreign language to me and dont always give the best place to start by looking figured someone has had this problem before and can help me. I need to get running again soon but also want to fix the rigging job they did when they swapped the motor and fix it right.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:09 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Is the computer/ecu completely removed from the truck. If not does the afm/air filter still have the plug running to it? If so and it's unplugged then that could be an easy fix. Just a long shot in the dark. Good luck hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thefishguy77
Is the computer/ecu completely removed from the truck. If not does the afm/air filter still have the plug running to it? If so and it's unplugged then that could be an easy fix. Just a long shot in the dark. Good luck hope this helps.
Yeah it was took out with the motor. All the wires are still there though. Went and tried fired it up this morning and it fired up for a few seconds then died again. But now I've got gas in the oil pan.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:53 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

What was wrong with your other thread on this??

It seems you have a mess a very poor EFI to Carb swap.

Having no idea just what may or may have not been done your best bet is to find someone close to help you. You have a big mess .

We could very well tell you to look for something that is not on your vehicle.

Bottom line without a fuel pressure regulator the electric fuel pump will just push fuel into the engine. That is why you have gas in the oil.

Might be why the silicone gasket is leaking the gas is breaking down the silicone.

Your lack of spark could just be from your plugs being drenched in liquid fuel.

Till you fix the fuel pressure problem you can rebuild the carb every day it will not help!!!!!

Because the circuit opening relay will no longer works your electric pump was hooked up direct who knows how??